Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Definitely play those you mentioned, Lord_Potato !
I differ from the Codex general consensus™ in finding Risen 3 an atmospherically good game too. If you can bear weak mechanics and a shit ending, but enjoy good exploration and atmosphere, try Risen 3 as well.
On Risen 2 however, the Codex general consensus™ is right: Avoid at all costs!

My only problem is that the little completionist in me protests against skipping parts of a series. So if I am to play Risen 1&3, 2 also has to be finished inbetween.

I guess I will see what happens when I complete the games I listed. Perhaps I will be exhausted with the PB formula by then. Or perhaps I will need more and then the next Risens might seem as worth a try.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This game has some of the most hilarious physics I have ever seen.

The Albs with autotracking flak flamethrowers are top kek.

Elex

Arbiter
A lot of key staff has left Piranha Bytes after Risen. I thought "hey, maybe it's not that bad, maybe this bald dude Bjorn have a plan".
Then Risen 2 happened. And then Risen 3. I thought that Piranha Bytes is beyond salvation.

And then these magnificent bastards made Elex, which is now takes third place in my hit parade of PB games (after G2-NotR and G1).
yes that was the realization that pubblisher really matter, sometime more than dev.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I differ from the Codex general consensus™ in finding Risen 3 an atmospherically good game too. If you can bear weak mechanics and a shit ending, but enjoy good exploration and atmosphere, try Risen 3 as well.
Hell yeah, the atmosphere of "everything is fucked what do we do oh shit" was really good in Risen 3 and I liked the different islands and factions. It felt incomplete but I think it was still really fun.

I think it was still a fun game. The dialogue was good, the pirate theme was great and I liked some of the sidequests. It wasn't the deepest and edgiest RPG out there but it's worth playing just for the pirate atmosphere, there isn't enough good pirate games out there and Risen 2 stands out for being not too bad.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hell yeah, the atmosphere of "everything is fucked what do we do oh shit" was really good in Risen 3 and I liked the different islands and factions. It felt incomplete but I think it was still really fun.

I think it was still a fun game. The dialogue was good, the pirate theme was great and I liked some of the sidequests. It wasn't the deepest and edgiest RPG out there but it's worth playing just for the pirate atmosphere, there isn't enough good pirate games out there and Risen 2 stands out for being not too bad.
I have conflicting feelings about your post and thus can't rate it.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have conflicting feeling about your post and thus can't rate it.
And I would like to hear your opinion, fellow RPGCodex community member.
Well, I totally agree with you on Risen 3! The dark, desperate atmosphere you described is especially prevalent in Calador, which reminded me of the Gothic series a lot.
But I also liked Taranis nearly as much, even if it had a "cleaner", more intact vibe to it.
And then there was this small island that in some regions looked like straight outta Caspar David Friedrich. It may have been Fog Island, I'm not sure. If we go by pure aesthetics, it may be the most beautiful location in any game I've ever played until now.

But Risen 2 on the other hand... UGH!
I hate it for basically the same reasons for which I kinda like Risen 3, namely the atmosphere.
It's just childish stupid bullshit for 4 year old retards, and the fact that it's pure console popamole garbage doesn't help it either.
And even though I have some mild completionist tendencies myself, I couldn't bear finsihing it.
I actually consider it to be the worst game I've ever played, on par with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
It makes me aggressive even thinking about it. :shredder:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
But Risen 2 on the other hand... UGH!
I hate it for basically the same reasons for which I kinda like Risen 3, namely the atmosphere.
It's just childish stupid bullshit for 4 year old retards, and the fact that it's pure console popamole garbage doesn't help it either.
And even though I have some mild completionist tendencies myself, I couldn't bear finsihing it.
I actually consider it to be the worst game I've ever played, on par with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Oh make no mistake what so ever, the game is shit in a lot of regards but I still love the pirate theme and the retarded but fun story with pretty funny dialogue. The game really managed to pull off a tropical area really well.

Morkar Left

I have conflicting feeling about your post and thus can't rate it.
And I would like to hear your opinion, fellow RPGCodex community member.

Opinions are for oldfags, what are you, like retired? Almost 22 already?

All the kool millennials these days talk in buttons. If it can't be said by clicking a button, it isn't worth saying.

If there's no button it can't be awesome

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So gameplay-wise how is melee? I was thinking of going with Berserker - sword and shield, is it fun? Or should I go for guns and psi? (I already know that black hole and flamethrower are OP, I don't want OP, just fun gameplay)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
"OP" is a term invented by massive faggots who play Starcraft.

The black hole is good but doesn't do much damage to anything besides humans. The flamethrower isn't particularly good unless you can find a safe spot to snipe from. It makes you slow as fuck, disables your jetpack completely and is constantly hitting the ground or other objects directly in front of you setting yourself on fire. Best melee weapon I've found so far is the sawblade. There are some huge warhammers and axes but you need retarded strength stats to use them (like 70+)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For me jetpack attack was nothing special really. Perhaps I got it too late in the game. Taking 1/4 of molochs hp at the expense of all jetpack fuel (thus limiting my tactical options for an extended period of time) just didn't seem like a good deal. I could take those hps with two swings of my two handed sword.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So gameplay-wise how is melee? I was thinking of going with Berserker - sword and shield, is it fun? Or should I go for guns and psi? (I already know that black hole and flamethrower are OP, I don't want OP, just fun gameplay)
I had fun with melee. I used a two handed sword, and I also had a one handed sword+shield. I was a berserker and my spells did enough damage to enemies. I also had a bow just in case.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You just gotta get the angle right. It will work decently most of the time if you aren't straight above them.

T. Reich

Arcane
Just as with everything in ELEX, you gotta get gud at jetpack attack + remember certain ...peculiarities of the skill.

It's generaly bad vs large targets because they can't be knocked back, so you usually clip weirdly through them and open yourself up for the attack.
It's really bad vs enemies standing on incline surfaces - there's a high chance the attack won't connect properly.

T. Reich

Arcane
ECLECTIC, LAVISH, EXHILARATING, XENIAL.
fNDO0ij.jpg

Found while cheeki-breeking through my town.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The lighting in this game is fucked up. Night is almost identical to day. HDR and bloom is complete shit and can't be disabled, making interiors unreasonably dark and upon exiting you get blinded by excessive bloom.

It seems all this shit happened with the final patch, along with over saturated colors generally. Thankfully there's a mod that fixes this and reverts it back to the previous much better settings: https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/24

I can confirm that it works and it looks much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom