Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Codex Year of the Donut
Do stats even do anything by themselves? I mean, does raising your str really does increase melee damage or are you stuck doing the same damage until you get melee 2?
answer: "lol who knows"
nearly everything about how stats/skills work is hidden from you beyond a few vague words

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have no issue with attribute system in ELEX because the way the attribute requirements are set up for gear and skills is that you'd always have the next "milestone" (be it a new skill or a new gear piece) only a few points away.
And even if you're short a few skill points, the ELEX potions are always there to help you out (unless you're a prude and reject the glory of the ELEX evolution).
My gearing/skilling progression only slowed down in the endgame, which is only to be expected.

Different temperaments. If there are going to be attributes and skills that I give a shit about in any way, then they have to at least pay lip service to muh immershun and muh atmosphere.

With a robotic, arbitrary, and extremely German attribute system like the one in ELEX, progression becomes nothing more than essentially gear unlocks and power-ups, which to me feels more like Mega Man than a proper RPG. There's still progression, customization, and specialization, though, so it's not like anything's technically missing.

You'll remember from PoE (which I may return to someday, probably) that I liked to have a matched thematic vanity equipment set, a strong theme to my class and abilities, that I got butthurt when I had to pick too many health nodes, etc. I never LARP, but I like muh immershun and muh atmosphere. You on the other hand are happy to wear a clownsuit and shoot out electrified farts while dual-wielding soup ladles and taking nothing but health nodes, if that's what it takes to get the job done.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Maybe it's just that I'm trying to melee stuff and dodge with a new character, when I should be doing something differently. It seems to me that the telegraphing of creature melee attacks is way off, and by "way off" I mean that by the time I see that they're about to occur, it's too late to dodge; and if I preemptively dodge, I get hit anyway.
Turn off target lock, I have a feeling this is the cause of your problems. Dodging with target lock on makes your dodge angled against the center of the enemy rather than just straight in one direction. You also really want to use jetpack in melee combat to regenerate stamina, and make sure to get jetpack attack ability, allows you to fly to regenerate stamina, strike down and then get a combo with full stamina.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah. The only distinction to be made is that raising them above the level of training and gear you can reasonably afford in the near future doesn't really add much (if anything) to your character's puissance.

I figure a point or two each in melee, armor, and stamina, that hunter armor, a better weapon, and possibly a shield will stand me in good stead to not have to flee from almost everything. Just need to collect a few dozen more cartons of smokes and a few hundred rolls of toilet paper, and I should be able to afford all of it.

Watch out. The shield is a trap choice. I mean it is possible to play defensively and the knockdowns are pretty good vs humanoids but I would rather spend my stamina on killing my enemies rather then on hiding behind a shield. Using a shield reduces the range of your attacks. I think radius and speed as well, but don't quote me.

Personally I like two-handers for their stagger/stunlock potential and great range and radius. They also give YOU better stability ("Parry" - poise). Well shields are even better for poise, but they are pretty bad for offense. Preferably Warhammers, even though their special attack sucks. Great synergy with Strenght, Stamina, some great skills, as well as armor requirements. Plus you can find a great Tier II in the wild. Greatswords are kinda weird with far reach but narrow strike radius and initial strikes split into multi-hits. Greataxes are pretty cool, but their 3rd or 4th attack in combo is broken.

Admittedly 1-handers are faster and probably more balanced for this combat system, but please don't use a shield with them. Well maybe pull it out for some duels or something.

Early on I've found investments in that good eater perk invaluable (triples food health recovery, later on makes a certain bone marrow soup game-breaking) and in increased Stamina capacity. Those I would beeline. I guess better armor rating is also worth it early on. Melee buffs are okay, but they really don't change a whole lot. It's the equipment that really matters.
Focus on finding/buying better gear. Find a Tier I ASAP and get the stats to use it. Before Tier I you cannot do much to your enemies due to very high armor. Then getting Tier II pretty soon would be good also. Tier III can wait. With Tier II you could beat the game, if you wanted to.

Like others have said, Elex potions can help get the required attributes early. And so do accessories if you can find (or craft) them. Not needing like 10-15 level's worth of attributes to wear stuff is huge - particularly important for higher Tiers, when attributes start to cost 5 points each!

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Turn off target lock, I have a feeling this is the cause of your problems. Dodging with target lock on makes your dodge angled against the center of the enemy rather than just straight in one direction. You also really want to use jetpack in melee combat to regenerate stamina, and make sure to get jetpack attack ability, allows you to fly to regenerate stamina, strike down and then get a combo with full stamina.

Yeah, I do remember reading that somewhere, but was hesitant to do so until I at least know what's going on.

If any of you are wondering how I could be playing ELEX for hours and be still brand-new to the game, remember that there are at least 10 hours of dialogue to soldier through in Fuck Elex Barbarianville before even getting into any quests.

Zlaja

Arcane
Blaine: Go to the desert as soon as you can.

ytOUsWz.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Men I received the ELEX due a real Codex bro.
Recommendations for first playthrough settings wise?`
I'm not the best popamoler, average I'd say

Tigranes

Arcane
Hard, take a companion if you need, standard Gothic procedure (find cities & do quests and get strong before going wilderness)

Some weapon types (cleric, plasma, etc) are broken & half-godmode, so you can choose to get into it or not as you wish

Morkar Left

Maybe reduce the stamina consumption in the options menu. If it's too easy for you bump up the general difficulty but keep the stamina drain lower.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
TURN OFF TARGET LOCK.
Seriously, do it. Target lock from my experience makes the combat worse and fucks with the dodge.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good advice by the bros, here.

Btw, get Animal trophies maxed as soon as possible. You'll thank me later. I also maxed pick pocketing early on. Lock picking is fairly decent. I don't think I ever maxed hacking, though.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Also: If something looks dangerous, it can probably kill you.
Follow the Joe Rogan school of thought, "That thing would rip you to fuckin' shreds man, Jesus Christ."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom