Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Btw. there's something bizarre going on with her left hand fingers...

Doesn't matter. What IS important is that you remembered to equip your sunglasses before talking to her. When you drop a kewl bomb like "I don't care about the albs, it's all about your ass" you need to be wearing sunglasses for that extra alpha male points. Jax is a really awesome character, went from emotionless alb to mastering the art of "negging" from the PUA community REALLY fast. :salute:

Erikolaz

Educated
Btw. there's something bizarre going on with her left hand fingers...

Doesn't matter. What IS important is that you remembered to equip your sunglasses before talking to her. When you drop a kewl bomb like "I don't care about the albs, it's all about your ass" you need to be wearing sunglasses for that extra alpha male points. Jax is a really awesome character, went from emotionless alb to mastering the art of "negging" from the PUA community REALLY fast. :salute:

Know what you mean. Captured this magic moment, where his sunglass-enhanced alpha male look earned Jax the attention of a fair maiden.

ELEX_2017-11-04_13-39-37-97.jpg

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Oukay, finished the game. Ending was gud, IMO. A lot better than most. Apart from the obvious hook for ELEX 2 the ending brings some nice closure. Hey, I'm not one to demand fancy movies or cutscenes and a slide show that acknowledges my decisions is good enough for me. It worked for Fallout in 1997, it worked for New Vegas in 2008 and it's still working fine for ELEX in 2017. Spoiler time:

I got the "redemption" ending by shoving a seedling up the Hybrid's ass, thus giving him magic AIDS. I think the ending was forced on my by the Cold value since I was giving all the "hot" responses, hoping to get the "no more words, just die faggit" ending. But this ending was nice because it made Logan turn on me and I could FINALLY drop that retard. The ending slides even acknowledge that and said "no1 mourned his death". And that includes the dude's sister, lol. Shame the slides fail to mention that I also killed William...

The Clerics and the Berserkers lived happily ever after. I managed to keep Judicator whatshisface alive so I assume that helped, since he is mentioned on the slideshow. As for the Domed City, I felt really satisfied with its ending. First time I analyzed the place I KNEW Alois was the "right" choice. The ending states that Alois ruled the city until his death and things were fine. Alois is a bro and he is surrounded by know-it-all retards. I laughed REALLY loud when I saw the outlaws bodies piled up. "Hey, you wanna help a stronk independent entrepreneur outlaw lady?". No and fuck off. As for the Separatists, FUCK YOU CUNTS. I worked my ass convincing ppl to let you stay and for WHAT!? First thing they do is join retard squad in their quest for FREEEEDUUUUMMMB. Well, eat shit. Specially you, lady I helped finding a job for. A triple "fuck you". In the end, the two Berserker assholes were proven RIGHT.

My chosen waifu was Caja and the ending only mentions she "found love in Jax". That's fine. Zardom ate a mouthful of plasma for kidnapping my waifu. And so did Kallax for showing up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Overall my opinion of the game didn't change. ELEX is bound to leave a "legacy" due to its uneven nature and the quality of its high notes. When this game is good it is REALLY amazing (open world done right!). I said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather play a game full of good AND full of bad than play something "safely mediocre". ELEX has a beautiful world that is fun to explore, decent writing (with some derp), lots of C&C and an amazing new setting that feels somewhat fresh. A shame that's all wrapped around a complete dumpster fire of a combat system and one of the worse power progression curves I have ever seen in any RPG ever. 7/10 good for what it is. Way better than Codex Goty, but can't hold a candle to MY 2017 GOTY: Endless Space 2. Which is not an RPG, but whatever idc.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
To be honest, they need to stop fiddling around the combat and bring back the 1:1 replica of the G2/R1 combat along with the progression system (buying attributes and skills from trainers).

Elex

Arbiter
What do you do in ELEX? You basically act as a mercenary, accepting jobs from all factions in exchange for elexit. You scavenge everything you come across in the wilderness. You sneak around and steal nearly everything that isn't nailed down. You pick locks and hack safes. You likely join the Claws (thieves guild). You pragmatically use the most efficient gear you get your hands on. You pursue your own selfish goals.

All of this suits being an Outlaw. You may join the Berserkers, but you won't be living by their rules. You may join the Clerics, but you won't be living by their religion. If you join the Outlaws though, you can go all-in and it'll feel right.
yes jax join a faction only because someone stolen his gear, factions are only a tool for jax.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If playing a game about a former drug addict who uses a jetpack to reach hidden toilet paper caches is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

For me personally, one thing the game has going for it is that it plays completely flawlessly at 144Hz constant, G-Synced. The combat's still janky as fuck though, like rubber bands snapping at each other... hard to describe, really. It's just spergy and uneven, somehow.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
If playing a game about a former drug addict who uses a jetpack to reach hidden toilet paper caches is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

The game is terrible and no amount of tries is going to change your opinion. They tried to appeal to the ''open-world'' brown-hole lickers and their entire world coherency shtick of their past games went down the shitter. All you get from Elex is a huge empty map filled with terribly placed monsters similarly to a cheap korean mmo and of course collecting disgusting amount of mugs, toilet paper and other garbage loot that made the entire process of looking for cool stuff excruciating.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The combat in this game is truly utterly indefensible. I've put it down for a while to cool off, and am currently playing The Way instead. For reference, The Way is like Another World, except twice as brutal and utterly infuriating.

Maybe it's just that I'm trying to melee stuff and dodge with a new character, when I should be doing something differently. It seems to me that the telegraphing of creature melee attacks is way off, and by "way off" I mean that by the time I see that they're about to occur, it's too late to dodge; and if I preemptively dodge, I get hit anyway. The difficulty also seems uneven. The enemies at the very beginning are no problem and I can typically avoid all hits; but then while exploring the Berserkers city, the four weakened rotboars that appear in the World Heart field can each take off 4/5 of my health with one combo. They didn't kill me because I let that one dude do most of the fighting and carefully took out one and a half of them. Actually executing combos myself hasn't been a problem, which I dimly recall wasn't the case in earlier Piranha Bytes games (but weirdly, I also dimly recall having LESS trouble in say Gothic II than in ELEX).

I'm going to guess that exploring and scavenging around as much as possible, completing some quests, and avoiding combat almost entirely like a bitch for a while is an ideal approach, getting enough XP and Elexit saved up for some decent skills (which I gather are more important than attributes), decent gear, and perhaps crafting recipes, so that there's at least a small margin of error.

That or I might brute-force it, save the game right in front of some enemies, and just reload (win or lose) until I can consistently dodge in melee. I don't doubt that it's possible. I suppose I could seek out a ranged-only approach, but that feels like cheating.

Anyway, I hate all of you, because I probably wouldn't have bought this game if not the for the Codex. It's all your fault, really.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
decent skills (which I gather are more important than attributes), decent gear

attributes are what lets you meet the reqs for decent skills and decent gear so they aren't really less important

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah. The only distinction to be made is that raising them above the level of training and gear you can reasonably afford in the near future doesn't really add much (if anything) to your character's puissance.

I figure a point or two each in melee, armor, and stamina, that hunter armor, a better weapon, and possibly a shield will stand me in good stead to not have to flee from almost everything. Just need to collect a few dozen more cartons of smokes and a few hundred rolls of toilet paper, and I should be able to afford all of it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The game is terrible and no amount of tries is going to change your opinion. They tried to appeal to the ''open-world'' brown-hole lickers and their entire world coherency shtick of their past games went down the shitter. All you get from Elex is a huge empty map filled with terribly placed monsters similarly to a cheap korean mmo and of course collecting disgusting amount of mugs, toilet paper and other garbage loot that made the entire process of looking for cool stuff excruciating.

literally the best game ever made

I shall name this "The Codex Quandary"

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Do stats even do anything by themselves? I mean, does raising your str really does increase melee damage or are you stuck doing the same damage until you get melee 2?

Gord

Arcane
What you need the stats for is basically unlocking better equipment and some skills, but as far as damage is concerned, equipment is most important.
By themselves they don't seem to do anything. Technically it might be that they have some minuscule effect (in the range of +50 Strength gives + 1 damage - there have been some ambiguous statements from PB), but if that's the case it ultimately doesn't play a role.
So, if you want to increase damage, get the right stats for that better weapon you just found.

Also, it might be worth looking into upgrading your weapons, as it gives a few more toys to fill out some of the gaps in the item progression.

frajaq

Erudite
Do stats even do anything by themselves? I mean, does raising your str really does increase melee damage or are you stuck doing the same damage until you get melee 2?

I believe they have a very very very minor effect

The bulk of their usefulness is really just unlocking the threshold for stuff

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
All things considered, rigid progression-locked equipment requirements annoy me.

In this case, though, it's not so bad. Because base attributes are near-useless except as prerequisites, you don't have to actually assign any points until you want to train a skill or obtain an item that you want to use.

T. Reich

Arcane
I have no issue with attribute system in ELEX because the way the attribute requirements are set up for gear and skills is that you'd always have the next "milestone" (be it a new skill or a new gear piece) only a few points away.
And even if you're short a few skill points, the ELEX potions are always there to help you out (unless you're a prude and reject the glory of the ELEX evolution).
My gearing/skilling progression only slowed down in the endgame, which is only to be expected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom