Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
If melee don't work just rape those faggets with magic or warbow II.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
always cheese the game whenever possible, fuck samurai code or whatever it is.

Castozor

Scholar
I wish level ups did more and Elex potions weren't as necessary.
I never used an Elex potion during my playthrough.
Granted for some super frustrating fights which I couldn't win in like 50.000 tries (like El Colosaro) I eventually switched to easy.
I didn't want to use Elex potions initially but after level 10 or so requirements for everything become quite high and level ups just don't give enough points fast enough. Rather than waste more time Fed-exing I just started using them to get to the right thresholds.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After playing the game for like 5-6 and finally acquiring my first non-joke weapon (laser rifle) I thought things would start to become interesting, but nope.So...at what point does the game start to become actually fun? Because so far I did nothing but run from every single fight and/or let Duras do all the fighting. My damage is still garbage and every enemy is HP/dmg bloat. A single enemy can eat an entire (20 shots) laser clip, laugh off the damage and then 1/2 shot me. I have Ranged 1 and 39 Dex. All the quests I did so far were boring fetch quests with little to no fighting.

So, am I missing some shortcut to the actual fun (fun = actually being able to shoot a rotboar to death) or is the game really gonna keep being that much of a chore for the foreseeable future? My patience for fetch quests is at an end, tbh.

Yes, you've been missing fun because you went ranged. That's also the reason why you've felt so weak. With melee each attack in a combo is more powerful then the last one (you charge a combo bar). As others wrote, enemies have lots of armor, so you really want to accumulate those combo attack bonuses early on to successfully penetrate enemy armor. Ranged weapons get no such bonus, so they suck at penetrating armor before you get the high-powered versions. Plus you can eventually unleash a finisher move with a full bar, but that's often not very practical/safe - takes a lot of stamina to pull off, depletes the combo bar... and depending on weapon type, might not even be worth it - unless it's a one-handed blunt 3-hit attack or MAYBE a 1h sword vs a shielded enemy.

And level 15 for minimum fun and Tier I weaps? FFS. More like level 6-8 for Tier I and the early game areas opening up.
By level 15 I've already found some Tier II weapons, which if I wanted to speedrun or something, could (painfully) be end-game worthy. I also had Cleric Tier II Armor at level 15. I don't think there was a single enemy I couldn't beat 1 vs 1 with some effort at level 15.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Ranged/Cleric power progression:

Garbage - - - - - - - > (get plasma rifle / black hole) -> Cheat god mode - - - - - - - > endgame

Melee at least delays the inevitable CRPG superpower stage to later game.

Zlaja

Arcane
OK guys, I loaded a save from just before I joined Outlaw and switched to Cleric instead, thanks.

Clerics have the most boring NPC's + their stronghold is located in the worst looking area in the game + their Black Hole ability is just OP and boring. Go back to the Outlaws and enjoy the best looking tier 3 armor in the game while larping Mad Max.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
However Cleric abilities have, perhaps non-obviously, amazing synergy with a melee-focused playstyle. You just don't die as a melee Cleric. And their armor is way cooler :P

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I chose the clerics long before I even started the game. I don't care about your cargo cult nonsense "muh pb games are all about melee", in a setting with both pointy sticks and energy weapons the choice is pretty clear cut to me.

Ranged/Cleric power progression:

Garbage - - - - - - - > (get plasma rifle / black hole) -> Cheat god mode - - - - - - - > endgame

Melee at least delays the inevitable CRPG superpower stage to later game.

Sums up my experience nicely. I started trying to use the cultivator bow before I had the stats for energy weapons and the result was "might as well not bother". Then I started with the laser, had some fun with the garbage hit boxes (about 1/3 of your shots go right trough the enemy without registering) but at least killing things was feasible. And then I got a hold of a plasma from the traveling merchant and everything changed. Main reason to go plasma is that plasma ball is both a stun and an AoE attack, so you can bypass the terrible hitboxes.

So for a ranged cleric the real game starts (and kinda ends) at level 15. You can bitch and moan all you want, it won't change the fact that the power progression in elex is one of the worse I have ever seen. Could it be possible for the game to have like a laser pistol with lower requirements and lower damage so you can do stuff a bit earlier? Nah! Impossible. All ELEX to the hybrid, lol.

Fetch quests or cheats, which is better and why?

i started genociding exiles around the forbidden valley at level 10

you are tiny grasshopper

Are all you people truly blind to the fact that Elex melee combat aka "the way it's meant to be played" is simply twitch action combat based around timed rolls and chained attacks? So...just like dark souls/witcher except clunkier.

Oh boy, ratface, how I envy your ability to put up with fetch quests for 3-5 hours just so you have enough xp to play poor man''s witcher for the next hours. And good luck going melee against albs packing flame throwers, that must be fun too.

With all that said, I'm currently lvl 19 cleric legate and enjoying the setting/story. Once combat takes its rightful place inside the toilet, the game becomes way more enjoyable.

Spam all the buttons boyos, cuz you won't be able to come up with a rebuttal to my points even if your life depended on it. :positive:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So many LARPers here. If you don't just give yourself max money and infinite HP you're just a LARPing faggot.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Could it be possible for the game to have like a laser pistol with lower requirements and lower damage so you can do stuff a bit earlier?

the weakest laser rifle you find has like 25 dex/20 int requirements

wtf are you even on about

Paul_cz

Arcane
This game is ace

65 hours and still having fun

joined berserkers because I actually like using melee the most, magic to spice things up, flamethrower from time to time..and they seem like decently enough good guys (plus their village is just pure Gothic 2)

I am only sad that it seems I did all sidequests and companion quests apart from Caja so now it will be straight shot to the ending...

definitely now with all paladin gear and poison sword with 75 damage I am killing everything pretty indiscriminately

Quest design is pretty good, lore is better than I expected, I think overall this is probably best PB game since G2, maybe tied with Risen 1 (depends on how ending will be handled, Risen 1 dungeons sucked ass, I hope Elex will have better ending than that).

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
OK guys, I loaded a save from just before I joined Outlaw and switched to Cleric instead, thanks.

Clerics have the most boring NPC's + their stronghold is located in the worst looking area in the game + their Black Hole ability is just OP and boring. Go back to the Outlaws and enjoy the best looking tier 3 armor in the game while larping Mad Max.
Winners don't do drugs man, it's hard to roleplay losers in pc games because I have to finish the game in the end. But I'd play Outlaws in an ELEX tabletop game.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Outlaws in Elex:

- Do drugs and sometimes deal them as well
- Live in an ugly shithole
- Brag about being "free" while living under a tyranny
- Only care about money
- Are constantly robbing and cheating other people

Which means that if you remove PB's obvious raycist whitewashing then you get...

MS-13-LA.jpg

Outlaw Faction without all the raycist whitewashing.

Yeah, I think I'll pass. If I ever replay ELEX I'll go with the viking larpers. Walking around with a pointy stick and a jetpack looks really silly, but it beats being a drug dealing favelado.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Magalan(d) is pretty hilarious name of the planet

considering that there are humvees and shit it is actually Earth after it got renamed during God Emperor's reign

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom