Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

people are finishing this while i finally started it. i have two conflicting feelings:
1) wow, it's gothic :D
2) wow, it's gothic :|
controls are a kick to the nuts, the interface is bad, fight system is retarded and unresponsive. but it's gothic :D but it's gothic :| after 20 years i'd expect something better, or at least something different.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
people are finishing this while i finally started it. i have two conflicting feelings:
controls are a kick to the nuts, the interface is bad, fight system is retarded and unresponsive. but it's gothic :D but it's gothic :| after 20 years i'd expect something better, or at least something different.
In all honesty, I don't. The formula works, don't fuck with it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, the combat isn't great... but it isn't bad either. It actually had great potential, but something went wrong and it was poorly balanced. But I definitely wouldn't call it retarded. Few action cRPGs have better combat.

What do you guys think about the real world looking ruins and wrecks and "mutant" theme of the monsters? Cool world or discount Fallout?
Yeah. Well, the scope and structure are more reminiscent of a better developed Gothic 3. Gothic 1&2 were smaller and a bit different because, well, how can I put it?

Eh, the combat isn't great... but it isn't bad either. It actually had great potential, but something went wrong and it was poorly balanced. But I definitely wouldn't call it retarded. Few action cRPGs have better combat.
how? HOW? you either click lmb (which makes little sense) or click e until you fill the gauge. q and repeat. the only surprise can come from "will the command register this time or won't?".

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
What do you guys think about the real world looking ruins and wrecks and "mutant" theme of the monsters? Cool world or discount Fallout?
It came out to be good, especially when you discover what the elex really is. For clarification, I really hated this game after the first press information were out, mostly because of the theme.

They could tone down on the environmental story telling. I am aware that a good state of many ruins is due to their upkept functionality (be it normal people or mutants), but the amount of "untouched" relicts (audio logs, notes and such) is far too great. I'm also sad that
the underground Fort complex is not even touched in this game aside from a single dialogue.
Gib expansion pack about it nao.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
how? HOW? you either click lmb (which makes little sense) or click e until you fill the gauge. q and repeat. the only surprise can come from "will the command register this time or won't?".

Or you block or parry or dodge/roll or do the aerial attack... or run away like a little girl waiting for your stamina to regen. Tell me, how many "q" finished combos did you pull trough on a single Stamina bar during the first 10 levels? Stamina regenerates too quickly, there's initially not enough of it and everything kinda falls apart fighting mobs of enemies (sadly most engagements) and later on your Stamina reserves get rather deep plus your weapons too strong, but early on I've found the duels fantastic.... once my weapon allowed me to actually penetrate enemy armor, that is (too much armor on trash mobs, not quite enough on juggernauts, too much DOT penetration). Also I think you get overly resistant to stagger with armor and Parry Strength - except to the auto-knockdown attacks, like the flamer fireball.

Or pull a ranged weapon and choose one of its 3 shooting modes. Or use spells, leave decoys, summon distractions, do force pushes, blackholes and so on. It's an incredibly rich and robust system.

Last edited:

Gimble

Educated
I really doubt it. My character was a mix of melee and ranged. By the end of the game, I was taking out mechs with my two handed weapons with 3-4 hits. And blackhole took out whole crowd of them in 2-3 hits, even at the end game.

I died at last fight because I didn't see the smaller robots coming towards me all three times + I was slowly attacking the hybrid like I did other enemies. The fourth time, I just spammed blackhole and hybrid died in like 10 seconds (and I also killed the smaller bots).

I REALLY doubt it that melee only builds are easier since I've tried it all with just Cleric itself.

Well, you evaluate melee using the weakest faction for that playstyle. Both Berserkers and Outlaws get stronger melee weapons. On top of that, Berserkers get a strong melee spell buff and outlaws get chems that increase damage and attack rate. Both also get better faction specific melee weapon upgrades compared to Clerics. So, yes, melee style is more efficient in the endgame when used properly.

Even as a cleric, you should be able to achieve much greater efficiency with ranged weapon buff + full auto-fire using Mortal beam.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
I don't think I can achieve any higher efficiency than spamming one ability for the rest of the game to win every fight in less than 5 seconds. :lol:

Gimble

Educated
I don't think I can achieve any higher efficiency than spamming one ability for the rest of the game to win every fight in less than 5 seconds. :lol:
You also probably exploited the bugged cleric amulet to spam spells (where it would continuously regen beyond maximum mana with no limit, resulting in a huge mana pool over time). The latest patch supposedly fixed that behavior.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I really doubt it. My character was a mix of melee and ranged. By the end of the game, I was taking out mechs with my two handed weapons with 3-4 hits. And blackhole took out whole crowd of them in 2-3 hits, even at the end game.

I died at last fight because I didn't see the smaller robots coming towards me all three times + I was slowly attacking the hybrid like I did other enemies. The fourth time, I just spammed blackhole and hybrid died in like 10 seconds (and I also killed the smaller bots).

I REALLY doubt it that melee only builds are easier since I've tried it all with just Cleric itself.

Well, you evaluate melee using the weakest faction for that playstyle. Both Berserkers and Outlaws get stronger melee weapons. On top of that, Berserkers get a strong melee spell buff and outlaws get chems that increase damage and attack rate. Both also get better faction specific melee weapon upgrades compared to Clerics. So, yes, melee style is more efficient in the endgame when used properly.

Even as a cleric, you should be able to achieve much greater efficiency with ranged weapon buff + full auto-fire using Mortal beam.

If efficiency or Rate of killing is all you're after, then sure, Berserkers and even Outlaws (with consumables) have better DPS. If you'd rather have options, buffs that support your playstyle and make the gameplay more varied and combat somewhat interesting, enjoyable and much safer, then I think the Clerics are the best option, by far. Also for melee... or particularly for melee.

Gimble

Educated
If efficiency or Rate of killing is all you're after, then sure, Berserkers and even Outlaws (with consumables) have better DPS. If you'd rather have options, buffs that support your playstyle and make the gameplay more varied and combat somewhat interesting and enjoyable, then I think the Clerics are the best option, by far. Also for melee... or particularly for melee.
If you read that comment, it was in response to the other poster's claim regarding blackhole spamming. All factions have viable playstyles with different strengths. Clerics do have the best defensive melee options overall.

In all honesty, I don't. The formula works, don't fuck with it.

I don't see how formula would be fucked up by improving some things PB have been consistently bad at so far and leaving the rest of it intact.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
<Ultra Depth="5" SizeFactor="8" MaxViewRange="128000.0f" ExpDistributionBias="256" />

change this line to these values in the ConfigDefault.xml and then change the fog quality to ULTRA to make the game run and look better and see farther.

I am actually using MaxViewRange="256000.0f" but lowered Depth to merely 16, gotta try your suggested value of 5.

Goddamnit, still waiting for that offline GoG patch before finishing up the game. :lol: At this rate it will be here only next year.

That's not true. Sure, there is a lot of stuff in ELEX that's similar to Gothic, because that's what makes PB games PB games. But ELEX is not Gothic. The exploration feels very different due to the vertical elements. There is a lot more C&C. The setting and atmosphere are completely different. Even the combat system, while having some similarities, is fairly different, due to things like stamina, special attacks, rolls, etc.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

I'd change the Outlaws guns first to fit modern projectile weapons better.
What we have now in ELEX is nothing short of :prosper:

ortucis

Prophet
You also probably exploited the bugged cleric amulet to spam spells (where it would continuously regen beyond maximum mana with no limit, resulting in a huge mana pool over time). The latest patch supposedly fixed that behavior.

I didn't exploit any bug. I stop playing games if something like that is bugged. Stamina would run out, I would run and consume a potion and would be back at spamming attacks (takes less than a second to do that). Also, I was upgrading stamina and stats related to it constantly. Also, I finished the game with latest patched version.

Honestly, I said it before (when the game wasn't out yet and they were showing screenshots). The setting is fine, the execution is terrible.

The visuals are clashing so hard, it all just looks wrong even till the end. The textures of grass and plants looks like it was lifted from Risen without changes (bright, looking like fantasy setting grass) while buildings look (most of the time) pristine and lifted from some Unity Asset store package. It's obvious they were trying to get on the Fallout 4 money wagon but even Fallout 4 has better visuals than this. Even the trees selected for this game are all wrong (needed different types of trees and variations).

The worst part isn't even the environment, it's the armors and weapons of the enemies. They just don't feel like they belong together and look like generic fantasy armors.

Last edited:
Honestly, I said it before (when the game wasn't out yet and they were showing screenshots). The setting is fine, the execution is terrible.

The visuals are clashing so hard, it all just looks wrong even till the end. The textures of grass and plants looks like it was lifted from Risen without changes (bright, looking like fantasy setting grass) while buildings look (most of the time) pristine and lifted from some Unity Asset store package. It's obvious they were trying to get on the Fallout 4 money wagon but even Fallout 4 has better visuals than this. Even the trees selected for this game are all wrong (needed different types of trees and variations).

The worst part isn't even the environment, it's the armors and weapons of the enemies. They just don't feel like they belong together and look like generic fantasy armors.
It feels asset-flippy at times, yes. Seeing super flashy, unrealistic sci-fi and fantasy stuff put next to literal Hummers and Peugeots and the gas station down your street can either "click" with you or give that effect. Plus, it makes the world feel weird or not very well thought-out, since what is for all intents and purposes a real-world western civilization got apocalypsed and decided to start LARPing, but was still able invent laser weapons, gravity-defying gunships, or freaking magic (I know, a wizard Elex did it) after the end of the world.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet

It feels asset-flippy at times, yes. Seeing super flashy, unrealistic sci-fi and fantasy stuff put next to literal Hummers and Peugeots and the gas station down your street can either "click" with you or give that effect. Plus, it makes the world feel weird or not very well thought-out, since what is for all intents and purposes a real-world western civilization got apocalypsed and decided to start LARPing, but was still able invent laser weapons, gravity-defying gunships, or freaking magic (I know, a wizard Elex did it) after the end of the world.

It's all about the visuals. The artists were just not up for it. PB's settings have always been pretty simple medieval settings, not hard to fuck up (the pristine orange bricked buildings, use decals to mess them up at least, ffs). Then they tried to mix Fallout with those settings without putting much thought in visuals. Just throwing in concrete buildings with wooden architectures right nearby, just doesn't work. It also doesn't make any sense. In-fact, the whole reason I hate Berserkers is that their whole schtick is fucking stupid. I can just down to a petrol pump, get some petrol and set fire to the whole place in the night. At least bases of other clans look like they don't allow easy infiltration (tbh, Cleric base.. just fly in from top for easy entry.. but they DO have mechs as guards) for something like that to happen. Whenever I replay this game, I intend to join the Bandits/Outlaws.

That reminds me.

That Berserker guy who was away all this time (forgot his name), meditating on a giant ball. I found him just randomly exploring the game, sitting in the open. Beat the crap out of him and after he would go down, artificially resurrected after every fight. It gave me a chuckle. Easiest fight to win, over and over again.

Zlaja

Arcane
I've played this game for like 130 h now and I still haven't gotten the achievement for killing 1000 beasts. :argh:

Turbo normie

Scholar
Ultra difficulty is quite frustrating in the early game.

When you talk to an edgy NPC who is stepping on your morality or your balls, you know you will spend 10 minutes to fight him (if you don't F9)
During my exploration I ended up into a house a dude yelled at me "Hey, you're not supposed to be here" I couldn't say anything he bitchslapped me with a broom. I got instakilled.

I have to pussy out to avoid tedious fights. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom