Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Zlaja

Arcane
Jetpack usage in/around water takes the cake for the most annoying sound effect.

Even when you just run into shallow water you get this incredibly high splash sound. :argh:

Gimble

Educated
Eh, melee combos bring enemies down rather quickly on Difficult.

Yes. Using Jetpack for quick repositioning (or using the jetpack attack) in the middle of combat recharges stamina completely, enabling the player to maintain offense in melee with some defense. This works far better than continuous dodging with the occasional attack most people resort to.

In fact the transition from being owned by everything to owning everything is perhaps too early/rapid. The early enemies perhaps have too much armor, the bigger ones - probably not enough.

The enemy design and placement did not receive as much attention in Elex, compared to the Gothic games. It is more like the Risen 2/3 in that regard, with the addition that even weaker enemies were given armor.

Last edited:
Well, I can always increase difficulty back up if I start feeling too powerful. For now I'm fine with Normal. Can't be bothered with melee, except for weakest enemies to save ammo. I simply find it atrocious. Like a weird mix of Gothic and Dark Souls with none of the parts working. Why can't these idiots just copy Risen 1 combat is beyond me.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I for one liked Gothic 2 combat system more then Risen 1. Sadly Elex, while adding some interesting mechanics, fails to reach it's immersiveness.

Damn it, I just had to go full libtard and help install a fucking Alb chick into a technician position in Abessa. #notallalbs , my ass.

T. Reich

Arcane
Considering the other candidates... You actually went anti-libtard, because you were ableist scum and chose the most capable person. Libtard would probably choose an outlaw.

Grimlorn

Arcane
On paper she seems like the best choice, but technically the Berserker is the best choice it appears. Maybe it matters what you tell Victoria about her, but people have posted that she ends up screwing things up if you make her the tech even if you help the Separatists stay.

Yeah I already got the inkling that I should've picked Berserker, damn it. Was actually trying to do right. Game even teased me by making me pay the bitch to get her services. That's pretty cool. I did help the Separatists stay. What a tard.

T. Reich

Arcane
I both picked her as the technician (but told the cleric chick to watch her), and I made that berserker guy go back on his accusations vs the separatists as well.
However, in all other quests I ended up helping the clerics.
In the end, the Domed City was ok, the separatists disappeared, and outlaws were turned into a nice loot pile by the bridge.:smug:

Gimble

Educated
While PB reused concepts and mechanics from all of their previous games (Gothic 1-3 and Risen 1-3, the good and bad ones), there are a few elements that are completely new. The jetpack is a resounding success. The increase in weapon variety and the supplementary spells/chems that do different things are welcome additions even if they are not 'balanced' options.

The cold/warm 'morality' system doesn't work too well the way it is implemented. Yes, it affects the endings and some main quest choices. However, they should have tied elex potion consumption mechanic much more directly into the system, instead of some fractional point of cold gain per potion. Specifically: More elex potions you drink, emotional choices start disappearing from ALL quests including side quests - not just some MQ depending on cold/warm state. On the other hand, with no elex consumption, all choices should have been available at ALL times indicating normal human behavior/free will. This would have created a C&C mechanic that is widely applicable throughout the game (more power OR more choice), that also makes sense depending on actions allowed or taken by the player.

Regardless, it is a huge step up from Risen 3. Hoping that Elex 2 is not just "more of the same" but has significant improvements across the board. They are using the same engine, and should have more time to execute well.

Momock

Augur
Guys, I don't know if I should play this game or not! So here's a question: what is the level of shittyness of the combat? Is it Risen 1 or Risen 2?
There's a difference?
Well, yes. The combat from Risen 1 is clunky, buggy and with bad hitboxes and stunlocking shit from Gothic, but not totaly broken at heart. It's kind of bearable. The combat from Risen 2 is concentrated diarrhea (and a badly consolized one). I couldn't play it for more than 2 hours.

I don't know what is so weird in my question. I think after the disaster that was Risen 2 it's legitimate.

PS: and of course I know about Gothic! Who the fuck is potentialy interested in a game looking as crappy as Elex without knowing about Gothic!?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, yes. The combat from Risen 1 is clunky, buggy and with bad hitboxes and stunlocking shit from Gothic.

The combat from Risen 2 is concentrated diarrhea (and a badly consolized one). I couldn't play it for more than 2 hours.

Cool story.

Outside the Souls series the combat in R1 is still one of the best aRPG combats ever made. And the combat in R2 is pretty much the exact same thing, except you don't have shields and you got firearms instead of bows. (Yeah, on release it was cancer because the idiots at Piranha took away both the shield AND the dodge so it was literally impossible to fight certain monsters with melee. But that was patched within weeks.)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And the combat in R2 is pretty much the exact same thing, except you don't have shields and you got firearms instead of bows.

nigga

fucking

wot

ME: Combat in R1 and R2 is pretty much the same thing.
ASPIES: No-uh, it's completely, utterly different coz you don't have shield and you can distract fools with parrots.
ME: 'k.

There. I saved us an autistic hair-splitting drama.

imweasel

Combat in Risen 1 and Risen 2 are completely different beasts.

R1 still has the best combat in any PB game to date.

imweasel

You have to lock on to enemies and time your attacks in Risen 1. Risen 2 resembles more of a hack and slash button masher.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You have to lock on to enemies and time your attacks in Risen 1. Risen 2 resembles more of a hack and slash button masher.

You have to lock on to enemies and time your attacks in Risen 2.

I have played R2 twice, last time a year ago.

For the third time - the combat shares the same core mechanics with Risen 1. Both games use the same engine. There are differences like the lack of shields, firearms instead of bows and support abilities like throwing sand or parrot distraction (only with human opponents). But to say both combats are "completely different" because of that is retarded, sorry bro.

There are basically two reasons people "know" combat in Risen 2 is bad:
1) because the common wisdom says R1 is good whereas R2 is bad, therefore the assumption R1 combat is good and R2 combat bad. Therefore they must be different.
2) combat on launch was fucked up because PB included neither shields nor dodge; that's where many people quit and that's how they remember the combat to be. But later on blocking and dodging was patched in and now the combat works basically the same as R1

Class over.

Tigranes

Arcane

You have to lock on to enemies and time your attacks in Risen 2.

I have played R2 twice, last time a year ago.

For the third time - the combat shares the same core mechanics with Risen 1. Both games use the same engine. There are differences like the lack of shields, firearms instead of bows and support abilities like throwing sand or parrot distraction (only with human opponents). But to say both combats are "completely different" because of that is retarded, sorry bro.

There are basically two reasons people "know" combat in Risen 2 is bad:
1) because the common wisdom says R1 is good whereas R2 is bad, therefore the assumption R1 combat is good and R2 combat bad. Therefore they must be different.
2) combat on launch was fucked up because PB included neither shields nor dodge; that's where many people quit and that's how they remember the combat to be. But later on blocking and dodging was patched in and now the combat works basically the same as R1

Class over.

You retarded fuckwad, who the fuck comes along and says "people say this kebab is better than the other kebab, so I will now passionately and voluntarily argue to others that this kebab is better and ignore my own experience that they taste exactly the same"? Don't you fucking think people EXPERIENCE the difference and then try to EXPLAIN why they enjoyed R1 so much more than R2 - even if they might not understand exactly what? But oh no it is surely unimaginable that people didn't genuinely experience R1 combat to be far superior

Dodge fucking broke R2 combat even worse than before making it an autowin rollfest which is entirely different from the doubletap shift in R1 and that's clear to anyone who played it before & after the patch such as myself so go eat a bag of zep dicks

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cosmic butthurt. :lol:

Dodge broke R2 combat. Its an autowin rollfest. And it's entirely different from the R1 dodge. Omg.

Dude, you're incoherent. Just stop.

Momock

Augur
cvv said:
Outside the Souls series the combat in R1 is still one of the best aRPG combats ever made.
It's better than pure garbage like combat in Elder Scrolls, Two Worlds, Bloodlines, The Bitcher and others. But it's still crap (with some good ideas, that's why I forgive it).

cvv" said:
And the combat in R2 is pretty much the exact same thing, except you don't have shields and you got firearms instead of bows.
It has nothing to do with bows and shields. It felt like I wasn't controlling my caracter, like it was glued in a weird way to the ennemy I locked, the blows didn't felt like they connected (or connected when they should't). And it felt more clunky than the first Risen in general. The hitboxes were cancer too, + stunlocking bullshit.

I don't know how to explain it better, and maybe I don't remember very well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's better than pure garbage like combat in Elder Scrolls, Two Worlds, Bloodlines, The Bitcher and others. But it's still crap (with some good ideas, that's why I forgive it).

It's crap compared to the best in business like Bloodborne or Nioh. But it's better than pretty much everything else.

It felt like I wasn't controlling my caracter, like it was glued in a weird way to the ennemy I locked, the blows didn't felt like they connected (or connected when they should't). And it felt more clunky than the first Risen in general. The hitboxes were cancer too, + stunlocking bullshit.

I don't know how to explain it better, and maybe I don't remember very well.

It's all feelz. You don't remember it well and most people ITT do neither, the difference is the retards are raging about it and being retarded while you at least admit your memory might be skewed.

If you installed both games now and played them you'd see there isn't much difference. I did it when I went through a PB marathon a year ago.

(Now the difference between R1/R2 and R3 is huge. Those two combats are genuinely very different beasts.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom