Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Lambach

Arcane
There's also the problem of 2-handers requiring quite a bit of CON, whereas I was too busy pumping DEX so I could wield the 3rd-tier Plasma Rifle (74 DEX, IIRC).

EDIT: Ninja'd by Roxor.

Shadenuat

Arcane
CON is the only real dumpstat in the game so it's not surprising. It's the one you can live without even if you're not using melee weapons. You don't need it before you trade enough mugs for dat lategame armor.

Funny, in most RPGs that is reserved for other stats.

Lambach

Arcane
For me, Cunning is the least used stat. I don't bother with Lockpicking or Pickpocketing at all, I only took the one rank in Hacking and the Personality skill tree is garbage (the first rank in Haggler gives you a whooping 5% discount, like, really nigga?). I did get it to 40, though, because of some Cleric spells.

T. Reich

Arcane
There's also the problem of 2-handers requiring quite a bit of CON, whereas I was too busy pumping DEX so I could wield the 3rd-tier Plasma Rifle (74 DEX, IIRC).

EDIT: Ninja'd by Roxor.

2h swords don't require CON; in fact, I don't think I've seen a single sword with a CON requirement in the game.
Now, both axes and maces (and shields) require CON, sometimes unreasonably lots of it.
Swords are just more versativel, IMO.

For me, Cunning is the least used stat. I don't bother with Lockpicking or Pickpocketing at all, I only took the one rank in Hacking and the Personality skill tree is garbage (the first rank in Haggler gives you a whooping 5% discount, like, really nigga?). I did get it to 40, though, because of some Cleric spells.

In my playthrough, I don't think I'll up CUN above 40. Though, CUN is the primary stat for the spellcasting berserkers.
I'll pump CON to at least 55-60, because getting armor and stamina perks is really damn useful if you're into melee.

Shadenuat

Arcane
CUN also has meh favorite perk :shittydog:

180px-AnimalFriendFO3.png

making 60% of world population oblivious to your existence, fight for you and provide easy kills for moneys :shittydog:

HELLO GOOD FRIEND
latest

ZENm3RD.png

:prosper:

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is this game good, guys?

A lot of it depends on expectations.

If, like me, you witnessed the horrors of Risen 2 and 3 firsthand and were certain that ELEX would be a complete trainwreck - you should find it fun.

If, like some lunatics itt, you expect PB to suddenly get back to Gothic-level quality - odds are you will be much disappoint.

If neither of the two above apply, you'll probably rant about this and this and this and that being shit all the time but still go through three playthroughs anyway. Believe it or not, there are many such cases in this very thread.

Elex

Arbiter
Out of curiosity I hit (an overleveled) mass rat with iron bar up to 10 times I think and I noticed increase, but it seems like a single increase. Basically after 4-5 hits damage increases once and never again until you break combo. What a strange system.

It certainly doesn't feel like "more hits you do more damage you do", that's just not true, i.e it's not cumulative.
the damage increase is coming from the combo bar, when the combo bar is full you get full bonus

(and that make Q attack a waste)

Elex

Arbiter
Basically the story arc is about how someone who seems crazy retard from minute 1 can reveal just how more crazy retard they can be, a masterpiece about human nature

Her character was easily the worst written. Everything about her. She is the best fighter and goes down on the ground in her own challenge fights after 10 seconds. PC kills the monsters and she stands up and screams how that wasn't a worthy challenge.
Yup. It's like devs are self aware of this since jax admonishes her to refrain from going all in retard against obviously unfavorable matches. But acts as a typical animu character by telling him to stay outta her way if you're not to give her a challenge.

She reminds me that guy from gothic 2 that belonged to the mercenaries and was always behaving all bossy and as he was a bigger deal than Lee. When you're doing the dragon slaying quest, you stumble upon him before entering the tundra area where the frost dragon is. He accompanies you with his thug across the area doing jack shit and refuses to advance until you're busy killing everything nearby. He and his thug eventually attempt to kill you in order to take all the credit of slaying the frost dragon. No sooner He learnt the hard way that is a poor idea to try to bully the main character way long after reached PB's powerspike ( which in this case was the belial claw).:dealwithit:
she have a terminal illness, they basically failed to build the character around that, the idea is potential good, but in the end nasty become monodimensional they could have explain better, like abusing drugs for ignore the pain from the illnes or suddenly weakness etc etc

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the damage increase is coming from the combo bar, when the combo bar is full you get full bonus

Can't be combo bar for sure. Try stacking up a full combo bar, disengaging for a moment/getting interrupted, then use Q. It will do pitiful damage even if the bar is still fully charged.

Elex

Arbiter
Bone marrow soup is quite the game changer. +10 armor can mean the difference between being one-shotted by some nasty critters and barely surviving, while the huge regen will get you back in top shape in no time.
add the food skill and you have the definitive potion of DOOM.

Elex

Arbiter

Can't be combo bar for sure. Try stacking up a full combo bar, disengaging for a moment/getting interrupted, then use Q. It will do pitiful damage even if the bar is still fully charged.
i’m not surprised if it’s bugged and totally desynced

unless they have designed a melee sistem that require to track 3 elements of UI, character position, timing, and also some invisible bonus bar.

it’s sound like the meme copypasta

“To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Elex combat.The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the mechanics will go over a typical player’s head.”

Geckabor

Savant
My own observations lead me to the same opinion of Roxor: Using your special attack as late as possible in a combo chain (I also try to time them well, might be a factor) seems to increase the damage ever more, but there might be a cap to it. The most obnoxious tactic I have found with this is to use one of those one-handed maces that have the 3-hit power attack. You can just oneshot almost anything if using Q at the end of a combo chain, it was the biggest jump in power for my game.

I have to disagree with those saying how useless Q is and how it shouldn't have been implemented into the game. I found it essential in my playthrough, and I was using two-handed swords during the mid to end of the game. Even there the special attack provides a good spinning attack that can deal with mutliple enemies (for example groups of albs).

Having finished ELEX a while ago, the game reminds of Morrowind in the sense that it has very obvious flaws that are easy to point out but they don't take away as much from the game as you would think. It doesn't feel hard to look past the flaws and enjoy ELEX despite them. To summarize, I haven't had this much fun playing a game for a LONG time. Great/10.

T. Reich

Arcane
Out of curiosity I hit (an overleveled) mass rat with iron bar up to 10 times I think and I noticed increase, but it seems like a single increase. Basically after 4-5 hits damage increases once and never again until you break combo. What a strange system.

It certainly doesn't feel like "more hits you do more damage you do", that's just not true, i.e it's not cumulative.

False. As I checked and described it on the previous page - filling up your combo bar has no bearing on the damage you do. Now, chaining attacks does, because consequent hits get a damage bonus, regardless of the state of the combo bar.

Xeon

Augur
Entering Doomed City felt pretty derpy.

You get fake ID from Hunter after doing a quest with him, then go to gate and buy a real ID even after telling me I can't enter at all in the first time.

Dont blame game retardness for your own.

You can avoid buying entrance to city, i am sure i did.
Oh, I didn't know that. the fuck.

I meant when you talk to him for the first time, he explicitly tells you no entry and then when you get the fake id, you can buy a legit id all of a sudden, the fuck is that all about.

Elex

Arbiter

False. As I checked and described it on the previous page - filling up your combo bar has no bearing on the damage you do. Now, chaining attacks does, because consequent hits get a damage bonus, regardless of the state of the combo bar.
even smashing the attack still increase the combo meter. Only make harder to reach the Q threshold.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gee, seems most ppl (mine included), went for the regent sword as cleric melee option instead of the 2h warhammers. And energy as enchantment.

Hammer for cleric doesn't really have gud synergy with the other stuff. Clerics are mostly centred around int and dex (guns, some psi) - one handed swords have low-ish STR+DEX reqs, which is gud and fitting, while hammers have high STR+CON, neither of which are particularly useful for a kkklerikkk.

Well, if you want to do a ranged/caster Cleric, then obviously Con will have to be sacrificed. But I want a melee Cleric and I don't really agree with poor synergy.
Dual Hammer III requires 41 Con and incidentally Power Shield and Last Stand Cleric abilities require 40 Con. Abilities that are very nice for melee combat. One Man Army requires 50 Con. Many other Con skills are very good as well. Good Eater is a game-changer (jut try Bone Marrow Soup with that, plus huge savings throughout), Armor is very good and early on Stamina I is a godsend. Also there's Parry and Attack Strength (not that you really need the latter with a twohander).

Tigranes

Arcane
Stamina alone makes 30 CON a must early on - that really changes your melee capacity. (Also, you can actually run around now.)

Shadenuat

Arcane
So how much stamina does stamina skill give you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom