Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Grimlorn

Arcane
Plus if you want to wield two-handed swords, the only option for end-game weapons are the Berserkers, which aren't my primary choice.

You can find two two-handed swords II + effects (poison and fire iirc) somewhere in Ignadon, I think in the south around the quest chimeras.
1-handing one-handed sword without a shield might actually be most damaging combo anyway.

And while clerics don't get viking melee spell or easy drugs, they do get shield spell and phantom spell which creates decoy after every roll, which makes melee even more trivial for them than for vikings in my opinion (because ghostwolf friggin sucks).

That faction just gets everything lol.

Don't forget Last Stand doubling your HP literally.
And Outlaws having access to Melee Atk Speed AND Double Damage chems.
Berserkers gets to shit in the woods.
Well Berserkers can use stims too for some reason. You don't need to be an Outlaw to use them. So once you find the double damage recipe you can make those stims. Berserkers also have a spell that adds 50 damage to your attack. So cast the 50 damage spell, then inject double damage stim, if they stack, should be insane. You should have about 280 attack damage with a two handed weapon.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
He should test and find out what makes Hand Grenade so good.
It's like the Best Grenade RPG 2017 ever.
I never used grenades like this in RPG ever.
Wasteland 2 ;).

Why do you bring this turd to such a :obviously: thread?

Turd as it may be, it is true grenades were really useful in that game. Then again, they were useful in Fallout too (W2 did had the ability to see the range of the explosion, though).

GloomFrost

Arcane
He should test and find out what makes Hand Grenade so good.
It's like the Best Grenade RPG 2017 ever.
I never used grenades like this in RPG ever.
Wasteland 2 ;).

Why do you bring this turd to such a :obviously: thread?

Turd as it may be, it is true grenades were really useful in that game. Then again, they were useful in Fallout too (W2 did had the ability to see the range of the explosion, though).
In fallout you needed throwing skill to use grenades properly. Actually Wasteland went one step beyond. You could also use grenade launchers and bazookas without any training so sometimes the weakest party members without any combat skills killed more enemies then everyone else. So how can you complain about OP grenades in Elex after this nonsense :)???

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
In fallout you needed throwing skill to use grenades properly.

Which was really retarded to be honest, it made no sense than a fully grown human being was unable to somewhat calculate how much strength was needed to thrown a grenade across the field. (In the end, it should have been Strength and Perception the two S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats to judge your throwing skill, not an arbitrary skill that made no sense)

Actually Wasteland went one step beyond. You could also use grenade launchers and bazookas without any training so sometimes the weakest party members without any combat skills killed more enemies then everyone else. So how can you complain about OP grenades in Elex after this nonsense :)???

It's been a while since I played Wasteland 2 so I can't remember how grenade launchers worked, but "weakest" party member is overreacting considering a rocket launcher in W2 wasn't exactly the heaviest thing ever made. I do agree it requires skill to use one in real life, though.

Murk

Arcane
Nades (molovs, really) are the solution to the bandits at the bridge in Arcanum.

Rain fire from above, etc.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, in regards of the Ignadon 'Ulbritch big offensive' main quest. What happened to all the empowering stuff about Nasty? Because everything about being such a tactical mastermind; and a strong woman thriving in a 'chauvinistic world', has been proven to be absolute rubbish, since She actually plans and behaves like a meth head during this quest and their companion related ones. And I though the Ignadon converter assault was dumb enough with everyone charging at the mechs like if the whole thing was a huge Nordic Metal mosh pit.

Elex

Arbiter
now i want a special topic on the codex about " the history of grenades (and other explosives) in RPG"

T. Reich

Arcane
I've finally finished reading through all the 156 pages of this very thread :prosper:, and I'm ready to leave my own impression of the game.

TL;DR: GOTY 2017 for me, an unexpected and very pleasant return to form for PB after so many years of pure, unadulterated decline. ELEX has got that old PB vibe, which is a somewhat detracted from by some questionable design decisions and severe lack of polish.
I'll rank it below G1+2, somewhere on a level of R1. While it lacks the simple grace of these three, it mixes up the old formula somewhat and adds a few new things, even if some of them are of questionable quality (or, of unquestionably low quality).
I haven't originally bought into the ELEX meme magic, but now I'm cautiously optimistic and waiting for ELEX 2.
:takemymoney:

Regarding certain aspects of the game:
Exploration - stellar. Everything I love about the classic PB is here. They could've done better monster and loot placement (which feels really random and underwhelming at times), but environmental storytelling is top-notch. I really enjoyed exploring ebery corner of the world, even if only to look around. And, of course, the jetpack! It's simply majestic.
Combat - fair. I was originally sceptical of it (being used to the old formula of getting better with skill increases), but there is a depth to it, because you can really get gud and use all sorts of stuff to fight enemies. Unfortunately, said depth is often ignored by decline enablers in favour of super-cheesy gamebreaking combat mechanics (splosuns!, and DoT that ignores armor). It could really have used a more extensive in-game combat tutorial. Anyways, anyone who complains about ELEX's combat system being shit is simply a crap player, and their unqualified opinion can be disregarded.
Plot - actually interesting. Rewards optional exploration by providing extra historical lore. Companions are actually interesting, for the most part, and add a bit of lively commentary during exploration and occasionally while conversing with other NPCs.
Reactivity - good, but there are many unfinished (or bugged) plots that could be expanded further.
Role-playing system - decent. I liked the interesting design decision with the role of stats as only skill/gear checks, but the skill system could do with an overhaul (too many useless or questionable skills). And IMO Elex should have been made a limited resource - it's too easy to break the game by abusing the Elex drink crafting recipe.
Inventory design - atrocious. As already discussed in this thread, there are no redeeming qualities to it whatsoever. I was ok with the quest journal and map, though. Semi-reliance on the quest markers is a bit unfortunate, but for me it was a mild annoyance - most of the time you don't need them to find quest objectives on your own.
Difficulty curve (I play on Difficult) - rather steep, even for G1+2 veterans. Lack of a proper manual and/or ingame tutorial really hurts the game.
Overall pacing - not ready to judge yet. I'm approx 50 hours in (36 according to ingame timer), lvl23, haven't joined a faction yet, but can do it at any moment. Explored approx half of each region.

Personally, I'm probably going to stick with Berserkers, because they're the least annoying of the factions for me.
I'm mostly using melee (2h swords are my favourite, though I've tried everything), but I also use a variety of ranged weapons to soften up enemies. Currently rocking a 2h fire sword ++ from Ignadon, War bow ++, shotgun +++, flamer B +++ (not really using it, because cheatmode), grenade launcher +++ (same, plus it's clunky). I've also got a couple of unique plasma and laser rifles, plus buffing up the stats to try out the regular +++ varieties of those.
I'm not going to use magic most likely, though I'll try it out just to get a feel for it.
I'm trying not to rely on elex potions too hard - I probably used less than 30 - mostly during early game to be able to use decent weapons (the ones with approx stat req of 40-ish, they really allow to kickstart an offensive vs the wildlife).
In melee I can take down any enemy solo, but I'm still having troubles with chimeras (duh!) and the colossi. I have also managed to get gud enough to be able to comfortably take down groups of 3-4 humanoids or 2-3 monsters without taking too much damage myself.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
So, in regards of the Ignadon 'Ulbritch big offensive' main quest. What happened to all the empowering stuff about Nasty? Because everything about being such a tactical mastermind; and a strong woman thriving in a 'chauvinistic world', has been proven to be absolute rubbish, since She actually plans and behaves like a meth head during this quest and their companion related ones. And I though the Ignadon converter assault was dumb enough with everyone charging at the mechs like if the whole thing was a huge Nordic Metal mosh pit.

Basically the story arc is about how someone who seems crazy retard from minute 1 can reveal just how more crazy retard they can be, a masterpiece about human nature

Grimlorn

Arcane
You guys are just misogynists.

Nasty is a strong, powerful, independent woman. She don't need no man and is the best commander the free people have. Better than Jax.

You guys are just intimidated by strong women.

Incantatar

Cipher

Basically the story arc is about how someone who seems crazy retard from minute 1 can reveal just how more crazy retard they can be, a masterpiece about human nature

Her character was easily the worst written. Everything about her. She is the best fighter and goes down on the ground in her own challenge fights after 10 seconds. PC kills the monsters and she stands up and screams how that wasn't a worthy challenge.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So why do people believe that hitting enemy multiple times increases damage? Because I think players are just confused with design of healthbars and DoTs maybe.

The only thing which increases is obviously the Q attack.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it increases because there's actually a skill that increases attack with each hit you land.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I misread: Attack Strength - Increases the power of your strikes.

For some reason, I thought it said that it increases the power of each strike.

Murk

Arcane
I don't think many have said that hitting multiple enemies increases damage. I know I have said that the further in a combo chain you are, the more damage each subsequent hit does. This does seem to cap off at the natural end of the combo though.

Murk

Arcane
I don't see any evidence of that. Or maybe damage bonus is so small it's just not noticeable.

I found it to be very noticeable if you check how much HP is taken off with the 4th hit in a combo compared to the first two.

This is assuming all standard LMB clicks with no DOT.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If there is indeed very noticeable boost in damage, wouldn't that mean that you could penetrate high level enemy with metal bar if you can hit him 10 times? Or even 5 times?

Grimlorn

Arcane
It's pretty easy to tell when you you're hitting an enemy more than 5 times. You'll see the hp drop about twice as much with each hit once you're combo is in the 5+ range.

If there is indeed very noticeable boost in damage, wouldn't that mean that you could penetrate high level enemy with metal bar if you can hit him 10 times? Or even 5 times?
No you'd have to get past it's defense first. It's unclear but I've noticed where the hp bar barely moved or didn't move at all the first 2 or 3 hits, then once I got into the 8+ hits it would start dropping chunks of hp.

Really you can build up you stamina to be able to swing a two hander 15+ times.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Out of curiosity I hit (an overleveled) mass rat with iron bar up to 10 times I think and I noticed increase, but it seems like a single increase. Basically after 4-5 hits damage increases once and never again until you break combo. What a strange system.

It certainly doesn't feel like "more hits you do more damage you do", that's just not true, i.e it's not cumulative.

Murk

Arcane
Out of curiosity I hit (an overleveled) mass rat with iron bar up to 10 times I think and I noticed increase, but it seems like a single increase. Basically after 4-5 hits damage increases once and never again until you break combo. What a strange system.

It certainly doesn't feel like "more hits you do more damage you do", that's just not true, i.e it's not cumulative.

I don't know what the specific mechanism is (it could also be that after your combo bar fills up a certain amount, you get bonus damage [some have speculated there is hidden stat scaling here]) but I do know that in subsequent attacks damage does go up. It could be a binary situation, but I think after 2 hits the increase kicks in. Though it could be that it's a flat additive quantity per swing and with many enemies you don't pierce the armor, and so it doesn't show until you stack enough "bonus combo damage" until you bypass it. Dunno.

You can see it here at around 10 seconds. I managed to get the 2nd hit to be interrupted by the doomturkey but the 1st and 3rd attacks connect, and you can see the damage difference between the two:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom