Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Tygrende

Arbiter

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can't jetpack into the Hort or Domed City. The Fort has no real reason to keep you or anybody out. Goliet's probably the only one where they should freak out if they see you fly in (but of course, most players get Duras' introduction into the city anyway).
You can actually jetpack into the Domed City. You will just get attacked by the guards if you do.
b6vVI3M.png

7zzARUX.png

I was already allowed in though but it probably means guards would attack me if I did that without permit.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
he's laughing all the way to the bank

I dunno, Spergerbruh, the game seems pretty lovingly made by a small European indie company over the course of many years of development to me. I think you just enjoy being an insufferable cunt who can't stop spending his every waking second on a thread, on a forum, on the internet, to whine about stuff you don't like. Besides, I don't think Germans laugh.

Kitchen Utensil

Fully agree on the inventory/character screens though. These are pure cancer.
console cancer, the elex UI remind me skyrim UI

a endless list of lines

i’m sure is done on purpose

console players are scared by grid inventory?

Even by console standards the UI is shit. In fact, good console UIs and good PC UIs aren't _that_ different. I don't know why the UI designers have been going full retard for over a decade now. But look at what happened to most websites in the meantime: Less information per screen, less functionality. Pretty much the same thing everywhere; UI layouts getting worse and worse. It's not just a console thing. But 90% or so of the Codex are too narrow-minded to realise that. Consoles, muh decline, ugh.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You can't jetpack into the Hort or Domed City. The Fort has no real reason to keep you or anybody out. Goliet's probably the only one where they should freak out if they see you fly in (but of course, most players get Duras' introduction into the city anyway).
You can actually jetpack into the Domed City. You will just get attacked by the guards if you do.
b6vVI3M.png

7zzARUX.png

I was already allowed in though but it probably means guards would attack me if I did that without permit.

Dat's Hort, not da dome.

Renevent

Cipher
So finally got to all the major faction cities and am around level 18 I think. Some thoughts:

-There are some major jumps in power. I kinda like this, but it does seem crazy extreme. For instance, I've been kinda going melee (board and sword) with some ranged and it was just okay. I did have to run away from most of the larger enemies which okay, this is a PB so it's expected. That being said last night I finally said screw it and join the Clerics and I got the amplifier. Right out of the gate my combat power jumped 10 fold. Blackhole completely and utterly stomps all over what I've been doing prior. In a single level/event I went from running away from anything fairly large or groups with 3 or more enemies to killing 3 Chimeras at the same time.

-Some of the missions are annoying, the drug trafficking one for the Clerics being the standout. I'll also say the pacing of the game sometimes seems strange and uneven, but that could be because I'm kinda jumping around missions/areas too. I've done this in their previous games too though, so it does feel like ELEX is tad undercooked even when compared to their previous titles.

-I wish there were more worthwhile hidden items to reward exploration. Oh boy, I found this really high tower and spent 15 minutes trying to jetpack up it and what do I get? A couple cigarettes and a can of dog food.

-I ended up joining the Clerics since I was tired of not having the skills/trainers/armor/weapons available to me, but they are religious douche bags and if I was really trying to pick a faction I was more dogmatically in synch with it would have been the Bezerkers.

-I'm finding ranged utterly underwhelming and borderline useless, though I admit I'm probably doing it wrong. I have 52 str / 45 dex and am using the best laser weapon I can use with my stats (I think around 45 dmg) and it barely even takes a sliver off of enemies. Meanwhile one melee combo and an most mid-tier enemies are dead. What I am doing wrong? Also, if I am siding with the Clerics and starting to use PSI powers (which so far are amazing) is it even worth it to go ranged?

-It's cool that we get a player city, but the questline to take it over feels a little silly. The main NPC there is s a donkey and was just like "hey stranger! you're the chosen one, do a few chores and you can run this whole place!"

Anyways even though there's some pretty glaring negatives and I found the early part of the game far more frustrating than previous PB games, still enjoying the hell out of it.

Tygrende

Arbiter
-I'm finding ranged utterly underwhelming and borderline useless, though I admit I'm probably doing it wrong. I have 52 str / 45 dex and am using the best laser weapon I can use with my stats (I think around 45 dmg) and it barely even takes a sliver off of enemies. Meanwhile one melee combo and an most mid-tier enemies are dead.

What I am doing wrong?
Are you using one of those rifles found on dead clerics when following Duras? They are garbage. Laser and plasma rifles that are worth a damn are DEX/INT weapons in general, with the exception of Mortal Beam.

Also, if I am siding with the Clerics and starting to use PSI powers (which so far are amazing) is it even worth it to go ranged?
Clerics have a spell that buffs ranged damage, but you don't have to use them.

Renevent

Cipher
-I'm finding ranged utterly underwhelming and borderline useless, though I admit I'm probably doing it wrong. I have 52 str / 45 dex and am using the best laser weapon I can use with my stats (I think around 45 dmg) and it barely even takes a sliver off of enemies. Meanwhile one melee combo and an most mid-tier enemies are dead.

What I am doing wrong?
Are you using one of those rifles found on dead clerics when following Duras? They are garbage. Laser and plasma rifles that are worth a damn are DEX/INT weapons in general, with the exception of Mortal Beam.

Also, if I am siding with the Clerics and starting to use PSI powers (which so far are amazing) is it even worth it to go ranged?

Yeah, it's a str/dex one I think, I'll look out for the dex/int versions. Thanks!

Hobo Elf

Arcane

What I am doing wrong?

Yeah, it's a str/dex one I think, I'll look out for the dex/int versions. Thanks!

PSI and Cleric weapons have some nice stat overlap; much better than the Berserkers who need to invest all over the place, so it's quite beneficial to use both. Once you get the +50 gun damage skill then it's pretty favorable to use guns for the most part, but that's up to you. Everything works.

Incantatar

Cipher
My lvl 31 cleric does melee, psi and plasma ranged. The way stat progression works does not encourage specialization.

Murk

Arcane
Beer doesn't make you healthier; it just keeps you sane in a crazy world.

Tigranes

Arcane
Go melee to enjoy combat,if you dont enjoy combat then ranged/psi is quick. Blavk hole is broken and should really be reworked.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ZRAywg.jpg

plz sir would you spare some canned food im starving

uoJErc.jpg

:hmmm:

Also, Jacques telling Jack about the albs was a p. clever way of dispensing deep lore.

Also2, I upgraded a sword with Psi. WTF does that even do?!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Tried some peasant weapons (all tier 3, Ultimate diff)
Shotgun
+ none
- no dot, no aoe or stun, poor range, seems to pass through enemies and miss all the time
Crossbow/Heavy crossbow
+ Easy to shoot, can get early, has explosive bolts that knock back and bleeding bolts
- weak, hard as fuck to craft enough bolts
Rocket Launcher
+ knocks back
- can't run or jp when carrying, heavy, barely more damage than other weapons (125 vs 100), super slow moving missiles, hard to get missiles, hard to aim right
Grenade Launcher
+ it's actually a light weapon - you can run and jp, shoots fast, fast projectiles, good range, knocks back . the unique version shoots 3 grenades at a time, lol
- no DoT, prepare to waste lots of grenades
Flame Thrower
+ i has become death. the destroyer of worlds. unique version does 83 damage and can be stolen in Hort for freeh. versiom B does ~100 dmg, version A does 125 dmg (whatthefucks). 1 elex per fuel.
- heavy, can't move or jp.
Chainsabre (Bleeding)
+ low stat requirements, easy to find, bleeds everything to death.
- Fire&Energy DoTs are more reliable.

tldr if you absolutely need to dodge use grenade launcher, for everything else exists napalm.

Also2, I upgraded a sword with Psi. WTF does that even do?!
Meh+just+kinda+weird+imo+_0b98cc8cc201532b6c1573da266a000a.jpg

Scrap it and remake as ENERGY.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
I think PSI does bonus damage on some enemy types and less on others (I think Radiation may work similarly?)

I briefly tested my psi dual hammer 3 on a mutant and it did more damage than when I switched the same weapon to energy.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think PSI does bonus damage on some enemy types and less on others (I think Radiation may work similarly?)

I briefly tested my psi dual hammer 3 on a mutant and it did more damage than when I switched the same weapon to energy.

There was a conveniently placed bandit right outside the workbench where I was upgrading shit, and I was doing the same damage to him with the base weapon and when upgraded with PSI. Maybe it's only mutants or sth but then jesus christ

WHERE IS THE MANUAL, PIRANHA BYTES???

Grimlorn

Arcane

There was a conveniently placed bandit right outside the workbench where I was upgrading shit, and I was doing the same damage to him with the base weapon and when upgraded with PSI. Maybe it's only mutants or sth but then jesus christ

WHERE IS THE MANUAL, PIRANHA BYTES???
I think all the buffs are just DOT type damage. No increase to damage. I'm guessing fire is probably the all around best one, but not sure. Just seems like radiation is crap because it won't do damage to mutants or mech. Bleed is probably good against humans and mutants but useless against machines. I just chose relfector on my Outlaw and I don't even know what it does. I'm assuming it mitigated damage a little bit but never tested it.

It just seems like weapon buffs in general are useless. By the time you get them you're already killing everything in a few hits except trolls and cyclops, and they die pretty easily too, why do you need DOT on your weapons?

Murk

Arcane
The pre-enchanted weapons you find with DOTs (not uniques, but like the Energy Regent Sword +1 in the 'mausoleum') can make fights against enemies that are nearly unwinnable to pretty simple since the DOT seems to bypass the normal armor.

I know a lot of big enemies can be beaten early on with the flame thrower in part because of the stagger-juggle and the fire DoT.

Maybe PSI is a mutant thing then? Black Hole, which is supposedly psi damage, damages everything just fine tho /shrug.

Energy and Fire I think are the safest to go with -- and interestingly, stasis is the most dangerous one for you to go up against if you're melee.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can steal a poisoned warrior's sword from Doc's bodyguard in the Fort. It was very useful.

Tigranes

Arcane
What matters is the base upgrades, not the gems or element buffs or whatshit - though Murk's point seems worth investigating

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom