Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
UPDATE - Released: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/elex-release-thread.118754/

Just curious, I was wondering if anyone knew whether PB are working on something or not? I checked their website out and there are no news whatsoever on about their current projects... Anyone got any news at all? Are they still recovering from the reviewing shitstorm that befell on their heads after risen 3?

Last edited by a moderator:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Good, Gothic series was shit all along and PB should die ages ago. No one who played goldbox, infinity engine, gurps games in 90's enjoyed the casual popamole Gothic which was to rpgs back at the time what call of duty is to doom nowdays.

APGunner

Augur
Good, Gothic series was shit all along and PB should die ages ago. No one who played goldbox, infinity engine, gurps games in 90's enjoyed the casual popamole Gothic which was to rpgs back at the time what call of duty is to doom nowdays.
I almost started writing a generic long post of all the things Gothic did right and how you can't compare goldbox and IE games to it... but then I decided to write the tl;dr version right away.

DUMBFUCK !!!

Xeon

Augur
I thought they acquired the Gothic IP now. Are they really going to leave it be without making anything with it or milking it or something.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
:1/5:

1 for the avatar only.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Right. Feed the troll. Has always been the best way to treat them... :roll:

Anyway, PB hasn't done anything great in the last few years and many devs of Gothic-glory-days have left (or died) quite a while ago. Neither the pluto13 nor worldofgothic sites tell about any new game so... *shrug*
Inb4 Gothic microtransaction app/browsergame.

Gord

Arcane
I thought they acquired the Gothic IP now. Are they really going to leave it be without making anything with it or milking it or something.

I think I remember something along the line, too. But iirc they released Risen 3 afterwards, so either they still had contractual obligations, or I misinterpreted it.
But in the end it probably doesn't matter much, since as Morgoth has said the best people behind the old PB are gone.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Their brand working class humor / language isn't as edgy anymore as it was in 2001, now that many games want to be "dark" and "mature" by throwing (socially accepted) expletives at the player. Maybe they should double down on smoking, that's becoming outcast behavior if it's tobacco and not weed.

Also as a small company, their chances to compete with AAA open world games are becoming worse, especially with German wages they have to pay. They can't build a brand on being the Witcher for the poor.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I read an interview not so long ago (though the interview may have been old, I dunno) in which one of the PB guys said that they would not consider making another Gothic because they would not be able to deliver on the high expectations people would have for such a title and that they would rather not disappoint the fans. Gotta respect so much honesty.

If I am not mistaken they also disallowed the game Arcania: Gothic 4 to have Gothic in the title or at least for it to be marketed like that, so it is only Arcania now.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Also as a small company, their chances to compete with AAA open world games are becoming worse, especially with German wages they have to pay.
Wages in Germany have barely risen since 2001, so that's really a non-argument. I also don't see a huge competition from The Witcher. Gamers usually scrounge up the time and money to play more than one game. If the games are worth paying.
That is the challenge, producing a good game. Which leads us back to what SausageInYourFace said, which is something I think I also vaguely remember.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
http://nichegamer.net/2014/08/piranha-bytes-working-on-new-project-not-a-gothicrisen-sequel/

After having just released the third Risen title, you’d think Piranha Bytes would sit back and take a well-deserved rest. After all, the time between 2012’s Risen 2 and the 2014 sequel was just a few months over two years, which is fairly quick for such a small studio.
Seems like that isn’t the case though, as translated news from the Gothic community seems to point to a new game in development that has nothing to do with either Gothic or Risen.

For some, this isn’t much of a surprise, since Björn Pankratz (The Risen 3 director) had been quoted as saying that not only did they have concrete plans for their next game but that Risen 3 was the final sequel for its series. Still, very little was known about the company’s direction post Risen 3. Strong rumors indicated that the only reason there was even a Risen 3 was due to Deep Silver demanding a trilogy and not letting Piranha Bytes out of contract until all three games were shipped.

All of this speculation came to a head recently when one of Piranha Byte’s founders, Michael Hoge, posted to the community forum.

Mattias Filler made me aware of this thread. It seems that there are more than this one so here is a short statement for everyone who is curious:
1. I was not involved in the making of Risen 3.
2. I did indeed lock myself up for two years in order to work on a new concept, albeit not related to Gothic. A prototype based on this concept is being developed by a small core team since the beginning of this month.
3. Before you ask: I can not give you any more information at this point. First, we deliberately want to take our time with everything and secondly this is not the right place to divulge further details.
Thank you for your understanding that I do not yet want to reveal anything about this new project. Those of you who are interested won’t have to wait too much longer though.

Hoge mysteriously left Piranha Bytes sometime during Risen 2’s development and it was assumed he had parted ways with the company. This may or may not be the case, but for whatever reason, he seems now to be working with Piranha Bytes on a new series of his own creation. With Hoge being so open about his plans, it’s obvious he isn’t under an NDA, since if he was beholden to a publisher, he would have been unable to reveal this news to a public forum.

There’s speculation that this new project will be crowd-funded, which would be interesting to see.
This is old news and may have been debunked since August 2014, but if this is true, then Piranha Bytes is developing a new (possibly kickstarter) franchise, and Hoge will play a major part in it.

Old Hans

Arcane
They're working on a new RPG that takes place on some jungle island that involves some factions.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have Risen 1 & 2, and yet I have not gotten around to start them (and I did finish Forsaken Gods and Gothic 4, that should tell you something). There's something that feels absolutely uninspired and uninspiring about these games, whereas the Gothic series gave me another weird version Ultima.

Their setting is make or break, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm seeing equivalents of fire and water mages in their next game, I will be crying a lot. Or be indifferent, which is even worse.

Xeon

Augur
Risen 1 was pretty good I think, I didn't finish it so I might be wrong but was really good from what I have seen. Risen 2 wasn't good, Risen 3 I kinda liked the factions but man I was hoping if they were more fleshed out and had real effect until the end or something, the game just plays the same way, except you use different variety of attacks or something from what I remember. nothing great but not totally bad either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom