Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What's the explanation for Gothic 3? Or the missing second half of risen 1?

Rev

Arcane
Well, for Gothic 3 it's quite clear that they were too ambitious and weren't able to make such a big world and fill it with interesting quests and good gameplay.
For Risen's second half they probably spent all their budget on the first half and then they had to rush the final part of the game.

In both cases they would've need a better director/manager, that told them to settle for something less ambitious so that they could actually do it right (Gothic 3) and that could manage budget in a better way (Risen).

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Degrasse-not-aliens.jpg

deama

Prophet
I heard it was something to do with them only having a size of 20 or so devs working on a giant open world game in similiar scope to oblivion (at the time). I think bethesda had double the devs working on oblivion right?

Jinn

Arcane
Do you think deep silver was the reason of PB's risen 2 and 3?

There has never been much solid confirmation. The most was Björn alluding quite strongly that the direction they had to take with Risen 2 and 3 was one they weren't wholly invested in. He said a lot of the decisions they had to make were imposed upon them. Besides that, Deep Silver has always seemed like a difficult publisher to work for.

I think Gothic 3 was a mixture of too much ambition, lack of proper resources, and publisher pressures to release before the game was completed.

Regardless, Piranha Bytes is in a more comfortable place as a developer than they have been in a long time. This fact causes me to be more optimistic about ELEX than the likes of Risen 2 and 3, among other things. To me, the game is just looking like it's shaping up quite nicely.

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even the European Union knows ELEX is going to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
But will ELEX ZWEI be even better roll-up than the first ELEX? How can any mortal hope to outdo perfection?

Kahr

I just wonder how this is 1,5 times the size of G3 and only has like 7 towns.
From the previews Goliet didn't seem that big either.

Kahr

Elex converters where the evil albs are converting elex into smth
Will probably have the exciting quest to free or destroy all of them.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Literally, the only two companies that actually use all the effects to improve graphics instead of making it shit are Valve and CDProjekt.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Can we go back to the times without all those crappy post processing effects & sheeit? I liked best how the first Gothic looked like.

This is spot-on. If you can't get a good looking game that has a satisfying and coherent look you just end up with assets of varying levels of quality drenched in processing effects thrown on top of then. End result is just a really cheap looking product.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thing is, going by the videos, post processing here is far more restrained-looking than that in Risen 2 & 3.

himmy

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom