Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
You set the video to start at "I have a confession to make: I've been playing a lot of Oblivion lately" which almost made me stop watching right there.
I timestamped it because the first 3 minutes was a boring intro-sketch.

I agree with you, the mere mention of playing Oblivion makes me cringe, but the whole reason he brings it up is valid. The games are trying to encapsulate similar traits - open-world/non-linearity, he justifies why Oblivion is impotent in that respect while highlighting how Gothic does it better.

Like it or not, The Elder Scrolls is a big name and TESIV was a massive seller, the comparison is further warranted just by the fact that Gothic 1/2 was & is nowhere near as recognizable and sold barely as many copies - despite being vastly superior.

Last edited:

torpid

Liturgist
I don't disagree with the validity of using Oblivion in a discussion of open-world games, just pointing out the unfortunate timestamp. And then being triggered by his sudden shitting on Gothic's combat.

Thinking about it, he should've had the guts to compare it to Skyrim, which is more polished and varied than Oblivion but is still the same kind of open-world circus. Oblivion's endless Shire countryside is just too easy of a target, and is IMO not really the crux of the issue.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
And then being triggered by his sudden shitting on Gothic's combat.
Yeah, that was a stupid point he made about the combat. But thinking about it, whenever I hear people praise Gothic 1/2, the only large complaint they have is regarding combat. They either can't master it or just flat out hate it all together. Whatever, heard it a million times.

Last edited:

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think the content will be decent enough for a $10 purchase but I'm concerned the engine will be as crap/floaty as it was in Risen 3; which, in turn, will make combat awful.
Risen 2 & 3 combat was pretty enjoyable once you get the hang of it, it was designed as a throwback to Gothic 1-2 combat.
Sure, I certainly threw out the r2 and r3 cds and went back to Gothic. Very effective throwback, honestly.
I rate this post "Creative"...

Lord Andre

Arcane
Anyone who thinks Gothic 1/2 combat was bad or the controls clunky deserves to be shot in the head. This is not hyperbole, literally take them out back and serve them 2 scoops of .50 cal aspirin.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone who thinks Gothic 1/2 combat was bad or the controls clunky deserves to be shot in the head. This is not hyperbole, literally take them out back and serve them 2 scoops of .50 cal aspirin.

Yeah, I really don't understand that complaint. I actually enjoyed Gothic 2 combat way more then Risen 1 combat. Which was better then combat in most other open-world games.
The only games which can compete in combat quality are Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls. None repeated the genius combat style development and improved animations trough higher skill levels, though.
Witcher 3 kinda came close in combat enjoyment, but ultimately spoiled it all by level scaling/level gating and shit itemization.

Lord Andre

Arcane

Yeah, I really don't understand that complaint. I actually enjoyed Gothic 2 combat way more then Risen 1 combat. Which was better then combat in most other open-world games.
The only games which can compete in combat quality are Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls. None repeated the genius combat style development and improved animations trough higher skill levels, though.
Witcher 3 kinda came close in combat enjoyment, but ultimately spoiled it all by level scaling/level gating and shit itemization.

In the old days devs struggled to find solutions and implement cool ideas despite limitations of technology. Nowadays they can literally implement anything and they go with banal boring every time. It's no longer gameplay to them, it's a box to be checked.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

In the old days devs struggled to find solutions and implement cool ideas despite limitations of technology. Nowadays they can literally implement anything and they go with banal boring every time. It's no longer gameplay to them, it's a box to be checked.
Well struggle brings out ones imagination.The biggest struggle that modern day devs have is "What should i have for dinner,kale or vegan cookies?"

Erikolaiz

Educated

Lord Andre

Arcane
I would marry Jenny. My German blood compels me to slay Bjorn and court her.
See where Mike Hoge ended up. Don't fuck with Bjorn. He is immortal.

Have their been any news about his new game? Since the announcement a couple of years ago, it became rather quiet.

It was some Molineux tier grandiose fever dream that disregarded the limitations of the medium on top of the limitations of having almost no money and no team.

It was basicaly Mike Hoge going "I'm going to make my own game with coke and hookers and it's gonna be the bestest thing ever, I'm about to make you my bitch, suck it down peons, I'm a true artist, you guys can't understand my craft..."

So it's probably dead and if not, if it ever comes out, it will be Diekatana/Duke Nukem Forever tier crap.

Search your feelings, you know this to be true.

Passionate people have been replaced by businessman.
Design decisions have been replaced by market research.
That's why.

Lord Andre

Arcane

That's why.

Sad thing is that even the old devs who were responsible for some of our most beloved games seem to have been stripped of their passion by age and the biz itself...

Our hope lies with young guns like the dev of Underrail or Vault Dweller etc.

And if no else does it, I swear I'll make a 'Gothic' game myself one day just to bring back the magic to the world.

And this reminds me, have you guys played Miasmata ? I swear it's Gothic without fighting and level up. The map design is so good I was thinking the whole time, this is what a new fucking Gothic should be like. Super underrated game. Awesome physics that act as a retard detector just as original gothic combat. Made by 2 brothers. I was super impressed. The engine was coded from the ground up, old school style. My meager coding skills make me feel like a useless retard in comparison. You can only discover bits of the map via triangulation with known landmarks. 10/10 game for me.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gothic without fighting and level up
1448616436202.jpg

Lord Andre

Arcane
Gothic without fighting and level up
1448616436202.jpg

:roll:

I'm talking about the map itself, it's an island like in Gothic 1 and it's designed very organically, very good use of 3d space, nothing like the bland empty deserts that you see in today's 'open world' games.

The game itself is an adventure though not an rpg. There is one enemy but you can't kill it and it can kill you. It hunts you throughout the island. You can swing torches or knives but only to keep it at bay...

You can craft some potions that give temporary boosts to stats or even permanent ones...

Anyway, the point is I haven't seen an open world map designed so good since Gothic.

Latelistener

Arcane
So it's probably dead and if not, if it ever comes out, it will be Diekatana/Duke Nukem Forever tier crap.
I'm curious how the fuck did you even come to this conclusion? A guy starts a new studio, and he immediately becomes Molineux, and his games are like Godus?

Now to say this is exactly what happened at PB:

Mike is a more of a creative person, while Bjorn is someone with whom companies can discuss business.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I'm curious how the fuck did you even come to this conclusion? A guy starts a new studio, and he immediately becomes Molineux, and his games are like Godus?

Now to say this is exactly what happened at PB:

Mike is a more of a creative person, while Bjorn is someone with whom companies can discuss business.

Mike is a faggot, don't be a fanboy. It's been years since I've read how he doesn't want to do another gothic like game, he wants to work on this ground breaking idea etc etc

He's got nothing to show for it and I knew he wouldn't. I'm surprised he's not doing braid in space in kickstarter or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom