Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
is it out?

deama

Prophet
Does Michael Hoge has anything to do with it?
Doesn't look like it, though he partnered up with PB to make something called "spacetime".
Maybe he fumbled with ELEX while he was working on spacetime?

Michael Hoge - one of Piranha Bytes employees. In 2014, he announced that he and several other Piranha Bytes studios planned to create a new project called Spacetime.
http://pl.gothic.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Hoge

In german, they say that ELEX and spacetime are different projects, and something about there being 2 PB studios (branches?).
http://community.elexgame.com/threads/102-ELEX-Spacetime-amp-Piranha-Bytes-Red

I think one of the studios is called PB red(?).
Looks like Risen series sold better than I thought lol.

Last edited:

torpid

Liturgist
Why did they call it elex tho?

New faction trailer. Feels like they're for a bit of a New Vegas vibe.

That whole speech :lol:

"Is your fist your magical power?" The cheesy euro RPG vibes are there at least

I think Bethesda-era Fallout being an aesthetic inspiration is part of what's triggering me. But maybe that means we'll get an open world, post-apocalyptic game without the over-the-top aspects of Fallout.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FUUCKING BOSS FIGHTS MINIGAMES FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
But they are so funny. I have to laugh the whole time in Risen 2/3 boss fights.
I always wonder who had the idea for this.
Some next level retard.

This one was the best:

That one is also great:

it is like zelda boss without the interesting tools and gadget to play around and retarted combat

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
cujpJOA.jpg
vqw96dL.jpg

What an upgraded inventory interface!
Is this game also coming to consoles? :)

Something tells me that if this game does not sell well, Pirahna Bytes is over.Which is not necessarily a bad thing.
I smell a mediocre game at best.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
If what been said earlier in this thread is true, that Deep Silver was restricting way they were making games, does it mean then that ELEX is for PB the same thing Pillars of Eternity was for Obsidian?
:hmmm:

Latelistener

Arcane
If what been said earlier in this thread is true, that Deep Silver was restricting way they were making games, does it mean then that ELEX is for PB the same thing Pillars of Eternity was for Obsidian?
It actually is. Deep Silver is a rotten company, while Nordic actually believes in the project, but there are doubts about the new PB capabilities.
I think they should have invested into Piranha Bytes Red and Mike Hoge instead. Although, it doesn't mean they can't invest into both projects.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, the game is doomed to mediocrity because it has a sub-par PC inventory UI.

Ok dude. I'm just going to stand over here and munch my Hell Mushroom.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This is coming out on consoles, so of course it's going to have a consolized ui.

Do you really think that kingdom come has that shitty tab ui because of any other reason beyond them releasing the game later on consoles?

Jinn

Arcane
My point was mainly that a UI does not dictate the overall quality of a game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, the game is doomed to mediocrity because it has a sub-par PC inventory UI.
I never said it will be mediocre because of the UI designed.
That conclusion you were quickly to pull because you became butthurt because in your mind I was quick to and superficially judged this game you think highly of for some reason.

There is ZERO proof that this game will be better than the shovelware Piranha Bytes released in the past years.
All the footage that was released was of some newly emotional dude (as I learned) hacking robots and dinosaurs left and right with no challenge whatsoever, allocating some attribute and skill points on an interface written in German and using a jetpack which for some reason displays usage/recharge rate above the protagonist's ass.

Also the AI in the game is sensational. I saw recent footage where the player character fought two bandits that were slowly but surely bit to death by some sort of creature but they were too busy facing the player and doing almost nothing.

What would make this game good would be the sense progression of accomplishment the game bestows on the player, the challenge, quest design, reactivity, itemization and dialogue quality not the promises of a map as big as Skyrim's, three factions to join and the fact you can use a jetpack the magically refills itself.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
User interface design is a dead giveaway for the talent involved in creating a game and about how much fucks were given.
And that's true for any game in the world out there.

Jinn

Arcane
That conclusion you were quickly to pull because you became butthurt because in your mind I was quick to and superficially judged this game you think highly of for some reason.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but that's what that post seemed like to me.

The thing I am indeed unhappy to see in this game is the consolization. I certainly do not think the UI is good by any means, but I have attempted to look past it in search of something better. You are right in that there is isn't really any proof that this will be a great game, because one would probably have to play it in order to come to that conclusion. However, like I've said before, the things that excite me are exploration, world design, factions, character interactions, satisfying equipment progression, reputation system, player progression, which are all ostensibly in from my perspective. Also, in regards to that combat challenge, I saw the guy playing die a number of times very quickly, and I'm assuming he was playing on the normal difficulty. So it gives me hope that there will be a great deal of challenge in store.

I'm not going to champion a game that I've never played and isn't even released yet, but I'm not going to let the last 2 games from Piranha Bytes ruin their image in my mind forever. I'm willing to give them another shot in a situation where the circumstances of their development has changed a fair amount.

deama

Prophet
I'm not going to champion a game that I've never played and isn't even released yet, but I'm not going to let the last 2 games from Piranha Bytes ruin their image in my mind forever. I'm willing to give them another shot in a situation where the circumstances of their development has changed a fair amount.
If ELEX turns out to be bad and PB is gonna announce some other game later, are you gonna still have hope?

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Unlikely that I would pay them much mind again if ELEX sucks ass. Piranha Bytes RED, however... Who knows? They have yet to put anything out.

For the record, I wasn't looking forward to Risen 2 or 3 when they were coming out, so I don't feel particularly burned by those.

Last edited:

Mr. Eko

Novice
Well, if they can at least make combat somewhat close to G1/2, maybe mix good things from R1 and make combat more of a joy than hard labour then we can speak of something that is somewhere beetwen maybe good and good. I mean, fuckin hell, you had left/right swing, you had frontal combo, you had frontal rush combo, and you could, if you knew how, to combine those. And yes, the other most satisfying thing was going from holding sword like a it's shit stick, to pro-martial artist relaxed hold, while by the way your speed and accuracy improved (new frontal combos unlocked too). And then you have R1 where they did away with full combat control from G1/2 (swings) but they add some other interesting twists which again where interesting, you at least had interesting progression and it was pleasing to see it (not as much as it might have been if they decided to build on the G1/2 mechanics instead). It really is not that hard and if they are unable to produce something similiar to that, well, then fuck you PB. It would not be problem if you had minimal combat in game, but when you put shit load of combat, it is expected to see some decency instead of obscene nudity (yeah, looking at you R2/3).

Still! :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom