Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There are previews everywhere now and while the animations look as bad as they did on reveal (no one really expected this to change), some things look interesting. I liked what I saw from the clerics and in general, the factions etc. seem interesting enough for a 2017 game.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I did not pirate a game in the last 4 or 5 years but I will make an exception for ELEX ... although free shit is still shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I remember when Risen 3 looked 'promising' from early footage/info about the factions. PB has long since lost the benefit of the doubt.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They are doing what Bethesda does. Making the same game every time with some nominal differences.

Deleted member 7219

They are doing what Bethesda does. Making the same game every time with some nominal differences.

But how do they keep getting away with it? Morons buy Bethesda games in their droves. Who buys PB games now?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Who buys PB games now?

The handful of fans they have and people courious about it.

PB doesn't have Bethesda-type brand recognition, so I'd wager an average gamer who tried, say, Risen 2 and abandoned it after a while probably won't remember why he did so (or even who made the game) when another PB game is coming. All he - and someone otherwise in the same ballpark, but not having heard of PB or tried their games - sees is another 3rd person ackshun aRr Pee Gee that looks somewhat interesting on the outset. PB isn't doing enough wrong to be completely dropped outside the frames.

Of course this is just couch-analyzing and I might be dead wrong, but it sounds logical.

waterdeep

Learned
Not looking forward to this because Risen was the biggest steaming pile of game design diarrhea covered with the vomit of pretentious sexually frustrated text monkies who call themselves writers that I've ever had the stomache cramp laden pleasure of forcing my poor fucking PC to play. Start the fucking game will you? Okay, open world cum everywhere. Look at our cum, you can swim in the cum, you can interact in the cum. Oh hold up dude looks like it's time to be rammed up the ass by forced exposition! Alright, time to flood your fucking eyes and ears with the delights of the ethnic flavored shits of a thousand cultures that make up what we like to call a diverse backstory and world. Followed by that, I'm sure you will be stabbing your eyes out in the feverish desire to never lose sight of the literal CUBES we're calling houses dripping with the shit of what you call textures to make them look like some kind of NES Borg Cubes that accidentally made it through a dimension made up of feces. I'm glad you're not having fun whatsoever because it's motherfucking time to make you spend hours basking in the glory of the ten minutes prior to launch we spent making this shitty fanbase cashcow grabber and to drive home the point we made NPC's skullfuck you if you decide you're not having enough fun. Wait a moment, it seems you thought it couldn't get much worse than this, so now comes the combat tutorial! Witness all 3 frames of animation as you awkwardly backpedal from your enemy as if to avoid the miserable stench from the farts of a thousand cumfilled assholes while you attempt to gather up enough courage to bear the brunt of this pain as you waddle right back up to the braindead AI just to play what must have been a mocapped sequence of one of these mongloid developers attempting to install fucking curtain rods.

and that would be the extent of my playtime on Risen.

Shin

Cipher
isn't it time for PB to jump ship to fucking unity (or UE like VD) so they can maybe improve on their clunky animations/combat/movement, like judging from any comments on any site/youtube about ELEX, everyone agrees it looks pretty sweet until combat starts, i mean look at this shit:

skip to the 2 minute part... who the fuck thought it was a good idea to show that 'gameplay' in a trailer? shit looks like something from the early 2000's

not saying it should go full ninja gaiden or anything, and I know that mentioning dark souls is a bit of a painful subject since its made by asians but PB needs to evolve their combat if they ever want to break out of their downward spiral
(disclaimer: disregard my ranting on this subject if the game turns out to be magnificent because of its other elements (perhaps it has a super awesome story or is character customization out of this world) but judging from what i've seen (and what ive played of post Risen games) im not holding my breath

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's not like different engine would change much, they have their animations modules with some nifty features but it doesn't help if the animations are made crap to begin wtih.

Shinji

Savant
It seems to me that their list of priorities had "graphics" and "world building" above everything else, including gameplay itself.

If you look at the environment and graphics, everyting looks alright -- nothing really spectacular, but it gets the job done.
But when you look at the combat and animations, it's difficult to have hope of it being any fun at all.

Now take Dragon's Dogma, for instance.
You can clearly see that they put empashis on combat first, along with characters' animations.

It got backlash at the time for not having amazing graphics, but the combat was so well designed that it really put to shame every (console) Action-RPG released in the previous gen.

Too bad developers/publishers nowadays seem to be so afraid of consumers only caring about "graphix" when choosing what game to buy next.

Shin

Cipher
isn't it time for PB to jump ship to fucking unity (or UE like VD) so they can maybe improve on their clunky animations/combat/movement
So you would blame Frostbite for Andromeda's problems?

:deathclaw:

while i get your point, bioware has, despite their obvious shortcomings, not a history of terrible animations per se, only with that new mass effect game afaik. PB has been churning out these choppy action games for a while now. Like, it's not that I have a dog in this race since I havent liked PB games for a bit now, but heck I might come back if they'd managed to make combat enjoyable.

adure

Liturgist
isn't it time for PB to jump ship to fucking unity (or UE like VD) so they can maybe improve on their clunky animations/combat/movement, like judging from any comments on any site/youtube about ELEX, everyone agrees it looks pretty sweet until combat starts, i mean look at this shit:

skip to the 2 minute part... who the fuck thought it was a good idea to show that 'gameplay' in a trailer? shit looks like something from the early 2000's

not saying it should go full ninja gaiden or anything, and I know that mentioning dark souls is a bit of a painful subject since its made by asians but PB needs to evolve their combat if they ever want to break out of their downward spiral
(disclaimer: disregard my ranting on this subject if the game turns out to be magnificent because of its other elements (perhaps it has a super awesome story or is character customization out of this world) but judging from what i've seen (and what ive played of post Risen games) im not holding my breath

im not a graphic whore and this looks fine to me.
looks better than new vegas and thats enough.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It seems to me that their list of priorities had "graphics" and "world building" above everything else, including gameplay itself.

If you look at the environment and graphics, everyting looks alright -- nothing really spectacular, but it gets the job done.
But when you look at the combat and animations, it's difficult to have hope of it being any fun at all.

Now take Dragon's Dogma, for instance.
You can clearly see that they put empashis on combat first, along with characters' animations.

It got backlash at the time for not having amazing graphics, but the combat was so well designed that it really put to shame every (console) Action-RPG released in the previous gen.

Too bad developers/publishers nowadays seem to be so afraid of consumers only caring about "graphix" when choosing what game to buy next.
Console rpgs have been providing vastly superior action combat than anything pc based.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
the graphics of the characters/environments are absolutelely okay. granted there s better - but its far from a a bad looking game ....

.... in motion however, combat whether its melee, spells or guns .... looks beyond awful. low budget is not really a good excuse ... there s games from far, far smaller teams with a far lower budget that dont look as shit.

i guess whoever s doing the animations is someone important at PB - or someone who sucks the cock of someone important. or they had to hire a "syrian developer" (afghan goatfucker) to fill their german tolerance quota.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron

The graphics and animations are fine, I don't give a shit.

But why does it look like they went all out "what ever" with combat? I mean, using a grenade launcher in close combat with backpedaling as a master tactic, and firing those grenades 1 meter in front of the character...

Meh, I don't know why I even ask.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
while i get your point, bioware has, despite their obvious shortcomings, not a history of terrible animations per se, only with that new mass effect game afaik. PB has been churning out these choppy action games for a while now. Like, it's not that I have a dog in this race since I havent liked PB games for a bit now, but heck I might come back if they'd managed to make combat enjoyable.
Why they can't find better animators and combat designers is another question, not related to the engine in any way.
I think Genome is gud for what it is. For what it's worth, Gothic 3 is almost completely seamless, and their latest titles have no problems with visuals.
It's actually great that they managed to develop and maintain something for their own needs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom