Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

himmy

Arcane
p8iRC2b.jpg

*sigh*

reinstalls

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It looks like they're trying really hard to be warhammer 40k, but they don't quite make it and it ends up looking silly.
Yeah, because Warhammer 40k does not look silly at all with everything completely out of proportion and pumped up to 11 :lol:

What's true, though, is that it looks less consistent than 40k.
But Warhammer had a long time to reach that consistency. I simply don't know if it was there right from the start.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yes, but Warhammer 40k has a refined, cultivated sort of over-the-top silliness, that actually looks good. :obviously:
...Well, provided you ignore some of the more recent absurdities, like the DreadBabyCarrier, and the Wolf Marines riding Wolfs with their Wolf Claws and their Wolf Banners.

It is true that Rogue Trader was pretty nuts back then, in a silly 80s sort of way.
There was a half-eldar inquisitor named Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau, for example, and Noise Marines used to look like members of a Hair Metal band.

It was not until 3rd ed, I think, that they began to tone down the silliness and make the setting more consistant and less wild.
Until Matt Ward came along in 5th ed and started this trend of making everything as AWESOME!1 as possible to try to get more money from little timmy.

Last edited:
So ELEX is 1.5 times the size of Gothic 3, which was like what, twice as big as Gothic 2, 3 times as big? And its 50-80 hours to complete, whereas Gothic 2 + NotR took me 75 hours to complete. What does this say about density of content? Well, at least you will have the jetpack to zip through the emptiness.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So ELEX is 1.5 times the size of Gothic 3, which was like what, twice as big as Gothic 2, 3 times as big? And its 50-80 hours to complete, whereas Gothic 2 + NotR took me 75 hours to complete. What does this say about density of content? Well, at least you will have the jetpack to zip through the emptiness.

They said that the didn't implement mounts or cars because the dense world should be experienced and not zipped by.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The truth is only edgy to those in denial. But, hey, if you like the type of shallow MMO crap that passed for 'content' in G3 (desert ruins are a great example of this) then I suppose you'll love ELEX.

Edit: Citation needed? I cited an example: the massive ruins in Varant where the water mages have you collect 12 jugs, 15 tablets, 20 goblets, and some other shit. Quite a few tedious 'quests' in G3 like that. Like those great 'clear the orc camp' missions in Nordmar after you've already liberated all the towns in Myrtana. On the other hand, if you allied with orcs... oh wait... no you still have to clear the orc camps since the orcs in Nordmar are hostile to you regardless of your affiliation with the Myrtana orcs.

Last edited:

Emily

Arcane
1.5 the size of gothic 3?

Game confirmed for pure shit or mmo tier at best.

No way in hell that they can remotly pull this off.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
In a surprisingly un-edgy post I can say that I've enjoyed all Risen games. Yeah, they had their share of problems and the quality was uneven, with 1 being obviously the best, 2 a red-headed stepchild and 3 somewhere in the middle. I still finished them all, had some honest fun and would definitely pick them over any modern arpg, including the ones that are so revered on the codex.

If this won't be worse than R2 (seems impossible, right?) then I'll be picking it around 60% off, which probably will be sooner than later.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Not too much new information:

1) Simulated World, everything is "alive", people and animals have schedules
2) "Albs" have a converter to throw humans in and extract ELEX from their bodies.
3) Lots of moral decisions
4) R3 vs. ELEX: more immersion, no QTE, drink animation, crafting / cooking without an extra screen, everything is ingame,
more difficult combat with lots of user control (deactivatable focus lock, minimap, combo timer, 4 difficulty levels)
5) Better story pacing than G3
6) different climate zones (middle european, arctic, desert, volcanic)
6) All loot is hand placed
7) Tentative release date mid 2017
8) Replayability because of world altering decisions in story and side missions
9) Companions have own missions, loyalty
10) Player home base with merchants, companions, teachers

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Not too much new information:

4) R3 vs. ELEX: more immersion, no QTE, drink animation, crafting / cooking without an extra screen, everything is ingame,
more difficult combat with lots of user control (deactivatable focus lock, minimap, combo timer, 4 difficulty levels)

Good. QTEs are crap. Didn't play Risen 3, but I did play witcher 2 that did have QTEs. I didn't like it. One of the worse things in the game for me, especially during that buggy kraken fight where it goes really fast and you die instantly.

jungl

Augur
I'm sure its not that hard to make a world 1.5x bigger then gothic 3 now with modern tree and mountain graphic generators

typical user

Arbiter
Who cares how big game worlds are now? Look at Just Cause 3, you can't deny it's big but is this game any good?

I hope they fix their clunky combat, it's 2016, even Bethesda did improve in that regard. I hope those rumors how those animations are placeholder are more than just rumors.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They did improve the combat by making FO4 less of an RPG and more of an FPS.
Slowly slowly the whole RPG aspects of Bethesda games will become similar to the ones of say Far Cry 4 and maybe people will stop calling them RPGs. At last.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom