Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Obviously they're going for the full audience of Bethesda with their Skyout / Fallrim, and the huge world.

Jetpack seems nothing but a charge attack for melee. Might be cool for the movement, but I fear it'll just allow you to ignore enemies easily, avoiding the careful timing that was needed in G1-2 to block enemies. That's what made the combat great.

Potion drinking during fights looks derpy. Would've prefered that it would be more dangerous, or out of fights only.

Don't really know what to think yet. It's really the factions, schedules, atmosphere, feeling the world was alive that made the Gothics. Not seeing that yet.

Jinn

Arcane
What in the FUCK! Why did they have to put fucking rolling in the combat in this? On the other hand, it looks like it's got some nice difficulty. Those raptors were messing that guy up.

I am by no means allowing myself to get excited about this, but if it's at least as good as Risen 1 I would absolutely love to play it.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
We'll see if they go back a a real open world map this time...

PB love them blue barriers, I think I've seen 1-2 in some early screenshots

Potion drinking during fights looks derpy. Would've prefered that it would be more dangerous, or out of fights only.

And why its have to be potions? Something like stimpacks, bloodpacks would be better in this so called futuristic world.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't you drink potion in real time in Gothic 2? Can't remember. In Gothic 3 you do, and in Risen.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Don't you drink potion in real time in Gothic 2? Can't remember.
Yes, since G1. But in the case of G1-2, as I recall, there was no keyboard shortcut, you had to navigate the inventory, and you did that with the movement keys, so it wasn't really possible when you were engaged in melee combat. The animation was long too.

The Witcher 1-2 feel like G1-2 should've design in terms of potion use. Then The Witcher 3 had to fuck it up (but they still have toxicity as a limit, which is ok I guess).

T. Reich

Arcane
Don't you drink potion in real time in Gothic 2? Can't remember. In Gothic 3 you do, and in Risen.

G1-2 - in order to drink a potion you had to stop, leave combat mode, open inventory, choose the appropriate potion, and then the character would do the drinking animation. While this animation is performed, you cannot run or perform other actions. If you're hit by an attack during this animation, it's interrupted and the potion's effect is lost.
unless it's a known specific bug/exploit and you get both the effect and keep the potion

None of that popamole "quick key insta potion" bullshit. :obviously:

In R1 you could drink a potion on the run from the quick use bar. It's pretty disappointing.

I don't care how potion drinking was implemented in other PB games because they all were shit.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great, the world needed another generic open world game where you fight random mobs with swords
AND JETPACKS, IT'S SCI-FI

sullynathan

Arcane

G1-2 - in order to drink a potion you had to stop, leave combat mode, open inventory, choose the appropriate potion, and then the character would do the drinking animation. While this animation is performed, you cannot run or perform other actions. If you're hit by an attack during this animation, it's interrupted and the potion's effect is lost.
unless it's a known specific bug/exploit and you get both the effect and keep the potion

None of that popamole "quick key insta potion" bullshit. :obviously:

In R1 you could drink a potion on the run from the quick use bar. It's pretty disappointing.

I don't care how potion drinking was implemented in other PB games because they all were shit.
Gothic 2 actually had a quick use button for potions but you had to activate it in ini files. I think gothic 3 had the same too.

T. Reich

Arcane
I know about ath quick use button in G2, but it was disabled by default and not available via options because admittedly it was a test feature, IIRC from the readme.
I'm glad it wasn't there. Fights in Gothics can be already fairly abusable without the mid-fight heal cheese.
It presented a certain challenge - you could either win a fight, or you could not. Put a pressure on you to git gud, not just force your way through via flask spam.

himmy

Arcane
How far have we come from the elegant timing based combat of G1/G2 to this rocket powered popamole. .

Lolwut. You have nostalgiad yourself retarded, bro. I love the Gothic series but the combat in it was a frustrating mess that can barely be described as ”functional after you learn to abuse it”. I would rather use the world elegant to describe a juggalo convention than I would about the Gothic combat.

Other than that, the setting looks fine. It might be my low expectations, but literally anything that's not the most generic fantasy shit ever makes me excited these days.

throwaway

Cipher
There's gotta be a tvtropes equivalent of post-apoc video games conspicuously placing skeletons as if they died during some noteworthy moment. It's lost all effect after seeing it done 5 times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom