Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Yea armor looks should be important to any cRPG fan. They can add a lot to the atmosphere and is a good/fun visual representation of your character's progression. Hell when i used to play WoW a decade ago it was easily 50% fashion show, couldn't wait to get high enough lvl for shoulder armor.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The armor talk reminded me of Thorus.

Gothic 1: Thorus is hired to guard a gate. We kill his leader, and possibly him.
Gothic 2: Thorus is hired to guard another gate. We kill his leader, and possibly him.
Gothic 3: Thorus is hired to guard another gate. We kill his leader, and possibly him.

The man is more consistent than Jack the lighthouse keeper.

hello friend

Arcane
when i used to play WoW a decade ago it was easily 50% fashion show, couldn't wait to get high enough lvl for shoulder armor.
:what:
latest

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
when i used to play WoW a decade ago it was easily 50% fashion show, couldn't wait to get high enough lvl for shoulder armor.
:what:
latest
Yea it's kinda embarrassing i'l admit but i never played alliance, i took great pleasure in slaughtering nightelves on mass, the death scream and animation they had was fucking orgasmic. I always hated elves in rpg's with a passion.

Yeah lets replay a whole game bcause of....armor.

The thing is, in Gothic games (and by extension in your beloved Risen), armor wasn't just armor. It wasn't just some equipment loot you found by the bagful everywhere you went. No, it was earned by joining some faction, usually through a rigorous and lengthy process, and then that armor matched other members of that faction, and made you feel like you belong. The armor was also an expression of your progression within the faction, as more advanced suits were reserved for higher ranking members. So it has much more significance in those games than any others.

Night Elves and Gnomes had the best death noises

Conversely, I played mostly Alliance, and a lot of gnome mages, and I can only imagine how horrifying it was for those giant tauren and orcs and trolls to be slaughtered by a tiny gnome.

All they would need to do is take the same approach that Gearbox took with Homeworld Remastered Collection - which is probably the best remaster I've seen.

Not sure about Gothic 1/2 remaster, better graphics wouldn't hurt and interface standardization for all you slackers who can't get used to their original controls, but they are great either way. What I would kill for is if they "remastered" Gothic 3 by swapping out its shit combat for G1/2's.

Really? I thought the Merc Armor was badass.

It wasn't horrible or anything, but not nearly as good as the other two. The sleeveless thing looked kinda bad, and the bluish color, and just the overall design. Sect armor looked like some kind of a bad-ass samurai-monk combination, and the old camp armor looked awesome in a standard medieval armor type of way.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Not sure about Gothic 1/2 remaster, better graphics wouldn't hurt and interface standardization for all you slackers who can't get used to their original controls, but they are great either way
I had no problem with the controls in Gothic 1. The UI could use a revamp though, make the inventory a grid instead of a single column perhaps...

What I would kill for is if they "remastered" Gothic 3 by swapping out its shit combat for G1/2's.
The combat is your only complaint about Gothic 3, that's it?

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The thing is, in Gothic games (and by extension in your beloved Risen), armor wasn't just armor. It wasn't just some equipment loot you found by the bagful everywhere you went. No, it was earned by joining some faction, usually through a rigorous and lengthy process, and then that armor matched other members of that faction, and made you feel like you belong. The armor was also an expression of your progression within the faction, as more advanced suits were reserved for higher ranking members. So it has much more significance in those games than any others.
True

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
This is from wiki: Gothic 3 is powered by a custom engine called Genome. For Risen it just says: Internal development by Piranha Bytes. From the brief google search i can't seem to find anything that says Gothic 3 and Risen used the same engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom