Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Stop being a dumbwit. The Bethesda engine serves their purpose well and I'd prefer if more developers use their own inhouse engine than some off-the-shelves solution that just looks shiny for shooters. PB doesn't have the luxury or time and money to switch technology willy nilly.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Eh well the engine is fine, easy to mod, looks serviceable, they are used to it. Of course Witcher 3 for example blows it out of the water, but also because CDPR are better at world building and design.

I think the Risen 1/2/3 engine is fine as well. I'd rate it better than Bethesda's. Which by the way is not in house, its 3rd party.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Eh well the engine is fine, easy to mod, looks serviceable, they are used to it. Of course Witcher 3 for example blows it out of the water, but also because CDPR are better at world building and design.

I think the Risen 1/2/3 engine is fine as well. I'd rate it better than Bethesda's. Which by the way is not in house, its 3rd party.
CDPR is better at everything. There isn't a single redeaming quality to modern PB games, I.e risen 2 and 3... They are shit games made by shit developers who have nothing in common with the original team that made Gothic great.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Eh bro, Risen series is lots of fun. Its jsut not serious businezz like Witcher. Learn to appreciate different styles. I still havent heard ONE proper criticism of Risen 1/2/3 that's not some sort of edgy exaggeration.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Talking about PB vs. Bethesda, ELEX vs. Fallout 4 graphics? ELEX looks a million times better visually, but that's really not saying much. Fallout 4 textures really look like dog garbage. I still can't figure out how they got away with it.

We can quibble about the style - personally it's a little too Fable-y for me - but the actual graphic realization of that style looks well done.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Didnt Fallout 4 go more for an artsy style rather than photorealism anyway?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That actually looked pretty cool. I'll probably end up playing this, out of sheer desperation for anything sci-fi like.... :M

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
not really, i don't even know about american politics that much, except all the candidates seems like retards or just comically evil. would be awesome is presidential race is done bymech battle tho
Sounds like you need to get your hands on Metal Wolf Chaos.

Aenra

Missed a couple of pages.. but watched the demo vid! Confirmed it all for me.
Robots and dinosaurs, high tech buildings and medieval-looking houses.. go die in a fire, lol.. not PB, they already have; you, the thread posters still considering this.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Someone please tell PB you don't hold a 2h sword like a staff! They made this mistake in Gothic 1-3 as well - lazily recycling animations no doubt.

jsAAPbb.png

Last edited:
The video looked cool for a while, until that mech hop. Wtf? Why would a heavy machine hop up into the air like that, like some anime rabbit? It would provide a much greater impression of power and heft if it lifted one of its legs and slowly clamped down on the troll. It's not a big thing in itself, but it just makes you question the people behind the game a little.

Also, about the Bethesda engine re-use... While it certainly would be nice if they used all that dough they make to upgrade their graphics/physics/animations/anything, I wouldn't mind them re-using an older engine if that allowed them to focus more on creating deeper and richer gameplay. But it's Bethesda, so they re-use the same engine without actually adding much of value to it in other ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom