Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
thatsthejoke.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
*Feels slightly like Gothic 1/2 game-play/C&C wise for Chapter 1 only. After that it's almost like PB outsourced development for the rest of the game. The fuck happened?!
*Lacks the charm Gothic 1 and 2 had - forgettable story and characters.
*Completely unrewarding and pointless exploration, outside the small hubs (although after Chapter 1, the hubs become pointless to explore as well.)
*Combat system is questionable at times - enemies can magically pivot in place when you dodge. Feels like a step back from Gothic 2, thanks to controllers most likely.
*Designed with X360 in mind, so technical limitations are apparent.
*Enemy placement is claustrophobic and senseless across the entire map, feels like an MMO grind-fest.
*WoW look-a-like inventory is ugly as hell (personal gripe).
*Short length - not that I was complaining, couldn't wait for it to be over.

Stop huffing paint, it's shite.

Risen 1 haters very boring by now.

Hwrr Gothic2 only best game in world will never play nothing more all else shit shit shit dwrrr.

'K. Yawn.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The fact that the R1sen console port was downright unplayable for a hundred million billion reasons is, I think, a good enough indicator that your claim of the game being made with the xbawks in mind is full of shit.
I said technical limitations not bugs. The scope of the world universally, relative to what they made seven-years-earlier, was stifled because they had to design it with specific hardware in mind. I never said they met those guidelines on said platform problem-free. I could care less, I don't own a console.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:nocountryforshitposters:

If R1sen was supposedly Scaled Down Due To Technical Limitations Resulting From Being Made For The Xbox In Mind (tm)(c)(r) then what the fuck does that make of Ri2en and Ris3n's tiny islands which were ACTUALLY designed for consoles?

Alex

Arcane
The fact that the R1sen console port was downright unplayable for a hundred million billion reasons is, I think, a good enough indicator that your claim of the game being made with the xbawks in mind is full of shit.

Or that Piranha Bytes doesn't know how to program very well...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
R1sen is roughly the size of Gothic 1. Was goj1k also designed for the xbox?

After going overboard with size in Gothic 3, it is pretty logical that they'd prefer to scale things down again.

And if Ris3n is "the same thing [as R1sen] but split into tinier islands" then I guess it's also fair to say it's the same thing as Gothic 3 but split into tinier islands.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
R1sen is roughly the size of Gothic 1.
EDIT: Size of the land-mass? Sure. So what? Gothic was also made nearly a decade earlier. In terms of quality content within said world, Risen still falls short. There's no excuse.

After going overboard with size in Gothic 3, it is pretty logical that they'd prefer to scale things down again.
I agree, too ambitious for a 99% seamless world, it was a system hog - they should have kept the same world designer though. Gothic 3 gets a lot of flack, but it had great world design.

And if Ris3n is "the same thing [as R1sen] but split into tinier islands" then I guess it's also fair to say it's the same thing as Gothic 3 but split into tinier islands.
Yeah, no.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Just because a game comes out a dacade later doesnt mean it has to be X times larger.
In terms of scope, meaning, the overall amount of quality content in the game. Which ends, after Chapter 1. I didn't mean the size of the land-mass.

possibly_retarded.png

Ohhh sorry I didn't see that.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Then say you dont mean the size of the land-mass you degenerate goof. And again, a game coming out x amount of years later doesnt have to x amount of times larger in scope, meaning, or whatever.

With that said, you are wrong. Quality doesn't end after Chapter 1. Games are practically identical in structure.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
R1sen is roughly the size of Gothic 1.
EDIT: Size of the land-mass sure, so what? Gothic was also made nearly a decade earlier. In terms of quality content within said world, Risen still fails. There's no excuse.

There is a pretty big excuse in relation to

The scope of the world universally, relative to what they made seven-years-earlier, was stifled

Seven years earlier they made Gothic 2, whose scope was very easily realised thanks to the fact that it recycled like 80% (if not more) of assets from Gothic 1, in terms of everything to boot too - systems, art, animations, models, even landmass (return to the prison colony). In that sense, Gothic 2 was almost like a very, very fuckhuge expansion to Gothic 1.

Meanwhile, when they tried to go again for Gothic 2 (or even bigger) scope, but this time from scratch with a new engine and new assets, it was a clusterfuck. For R1sen they only had the Gothic 3 engine and had to make almost everything from scratch again, so it is pretty fucking logical that they'd go back to step one and Gothic 1-like scope. You are an idiot if you think it's fair to compare the size and breadth of Risen 1 to Gothic 2.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gothic2 only best game in world will never play nothing more all else shit shit shit dwrrr.

Never said it's the best game in the world, I'm saying it's Piranha Bytes best game...

Well you won't meet much opposition to that claim that's for sure.

You also seem to suggest though that the quality difference between G2 and R1 is dramatic. We'll have to agree do disagree. For me R1 is a GREAT spiritual successor to G1/G2 and it's doing most things just as well or better, the combat for one.

In fact G2, R1 and G3 are all equally great in my book.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So how would dude in leather amd bones and rags stand a chance against dudes in power armors and laser rifles?

I think they said that the faction(s) which don't use modern equipment will be the ones suing magic to balance their powers.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Gothic2 only best game in world will never play nothing more all else shit shit shit dwrrr.

Never said it's the best game in the world, I'm saying it's Piranha Bytes best game...

Well you won't meet much opposition to that claim that's for sure.

You also seem to suggest though that the quality difference between G2 and R1 is dramatic. We'll have to agree do disagree. For me R1 is a GREAT spiritual successor to G1/G2 and it's doing most things just as well or better, the combat for one.

In fact G2, R1 and G3 are all equally great in my book.

The kids here think it's cool to hate G3

Hobo Elf

Arcane
No, the coolest part was walking around the world and absorbing the cool sights. For a large open world game Gothic 3 looks a lot less generic than all the other open world RPGs.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
No, the coolest part was walking around the world and absorbing the cool sights. For a large open world game Gothic 3 looks a lot less generic than all the other open world RPGs.
There was nothing cool about paying full price for that abortion of a game ten years ago. Believe me. The hate is justified.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, nice "mood video". Actually made me want to play the game. I'm not exactly scrambling for my wallet though.

"Ee-lex"? I thought it would be "ellex", you know, like electric or eclectic. Since eclectic is actually what the E stands for. Goofballs.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Looks good. Definitely running on the same engine, looks like Risen with guns.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That voice saying Elex at the end. It sounds like it's from an ad for mint chewing gum.

I got the impression that the voice was going to continue "New fragrance. From Armani."

Other than that... can't say much either way. I didn't really get the "mood" they probably were after with that piece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom