Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NSFW
7kaNczR.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Even risen 2 and 3 combat and open world world structure are still better than all the elder scrolls game and the witchers.
Risen 3 on the other hand is beyond the scale of insanity, even assassin's creed series had harder fights. Just mash left mouse.
That's bullshit. The general combat pattern is hit, hit, block, roll and repeat. If you go for a 3rd strike in a row you generally are blocked and hit back (often knocked, meaning they can get 2-3 strikes in). Button mashing just does not work in the game unless you are at super-late game and can kill anything with insane attack speed and damage.

Who composed Elex? I assume not Kai ?
Bjorn is the composer and sound designer. I'm serious.
Kai left PB soon after Risen, and it seems like he's not affiliated with PB Red too anymore.
Kai is doing the soundtrack to Pizza Connection 3. Never even heard of the series.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So the german GameStar magazine aparently has a review for Elex, but its locked for subscribers only. But they give us a glimpse of the review and they call it the best PB game since Gothic 2 and the game by which all PB games will be measured against from here on.

The comments say they gave it an 85 - which seems to be a safe "no one is offended" rating for an "exclusive" review.

This sounds pretty good though:

Elex is a true RPG
no Action Game with RPG elements but a true RPG
combat is subordiante to the character system
Leveling and specialization is often times more interesting than the actual use of such enabled combat mechanics; killing a horde of raptors after you've been pathetically running from them hours priorly is extradordinarily satisfying
satisfaction of leveling combat mechanics > clunky combat
Crafting, using sockets, alchemy and the correct choice of factions can create a deep and rewarding rpg system.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Kai is doing the soundtrack to Pizza Connection 3.
You're killing me there. One of the best composers in video games, doing some pizza shit? Goddamn it. And you've got Inon Zur and Jeremy Soule making their name and shit; those total hacks.

:argh:
There are lot of flaws with TES games, but music ain't one of them. I am still listening to Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim soundtracks from time to time.
Inon Zur did a lot of generic stuff, but there are some gems in his F3/F4 soundtracks too. Very rare though.

I certainly agree Rosenkranz is brilliant though, I love G1/2/3 soundtracks. I even backed his kickstarter for new album he had few years back. He still hasn't delivered, to my knowledge. But he did give us Long Journey Home OST in the meantime so I am not angry.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There are lot of flaws with TES games, but music ain't one of them.
I'll give you that the music isn't as bad as the games. I only played some Morrowind, but going by promos of Oblivion etc., Morrowind had the best soundtrack amongst the TES games past Daggerfall.

I'll also give you that Soule is not as bad as Inon Zur, who's absolutely terrible and unimaginative (I haven't heard his new stuff though). But I found Soule's music pretty soulless, competent but merely technical. And not my style at all; I tire of clichéd fantasy soundtracks. I'll admit Morrowind wasn't as generic as others, but it just didn't hit the right note for me. Not after PST, the Fallouts, the Gothics, Deus Ex, Diablo, etc. Those soundtracks all had the strength of immersing you in the game's theme and setting.

Now that I think of it, Morrowind's music felt as bland as the game, so, maybe they go well together. Overly big and epic, grand ouvertures and symphonic shit, but lacking heart and nuance in the details, much like the towns with wiki-style NPCs.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Kai is doing the soundtrack to Pizza Connection 3.
You're killing me there. One of the best composers in video games, doing some pizza shit? Goddamn it. And you've got Inon Zur and Jeremy Soule making their name and shit; those total hacks.
Everyone in computer game industry is likely to work normally to earn money. So, if game companies want him, they need to give him long term employment with enough benefits like free time and artistic freedom, and enough salary to pay rent and have reserves until he finds his next job.

If he has long term stable job with a lot of free time, that's great. Best things happened in game industry when people were working in spare time, never when they needed sallaries. When you are dependent on result, you can't take risks.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Pros:

1) The game world.
-Mix of fantasy and sci-fi works surprisingly well.
-Largest world so far of any PB game, but still maintains the tightness and love for detail of the older PB games.
-Exploration is fun; tons of shit to discover.
-Best time sink since Skyrim and Fallout: NV.

2) Quests.
-Better join a faction if you wanna survive; so far ELEX demonstrates the best C&C of any PB game.
-Almost every quests offers several solutions; motive behind it often morally ambiguous.
-Non-violent solutions; often entail a new chain of quests opening.

3) Scope
-Like said before, it's a big game. 60-80 hours gameplay for the first playthrough.
-High replayability thanks to the three factions.
-Crafting, Alchemy etc.; Specialization thanks to factions.
-Only proper RPG in 2017.

4) Bonus pro: Atmosphere.
- It just sucks you in.

Cons:

1) Tech.
-Shitty animations and textures. No bugfest, but rough around the edges.
-AI glitches. I.e. Bandit leader doesn't realize that you've just killed his entire outfit in front of his eyes. Reload fixes that.
-Clipping errors

2) Combat system.
-Feels fiddly.
-Combo system needs you score 5x to cause real damage; feels unintuitive.
-Later it's better, but early on the game is merciless.

3) Controls/UI
-The jetpack is a bitch. Forget about elegant gliding through the landscape.
-UI. Usable yes, but looks shitty.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

"Only proper RPG in 2017"

:lol:

Sounds promising though. But regarding the UI, I really wonder what's up with that. Usability aside, that shit looks like a pre-alpha version, like a first draft or something. They don't intend to polish that at least a bit?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If this review wasn't paid for or too biased, then Elex will probably be GOTY (or at least best Action RPG) 2017 for me, not that there was much competition this year.

Cassar

Savant

Sounds promising though. But regarding the UI, I really wonder what's up with that. Usability aside, that shit looks like a pre-alpha version, like a first draft or something. They don't intend to polish that at least a bit?

took this back when the game was first announced

Kitchen Utensil

took this back when the game was first announced

Yeah, but even then. I'm not talking about the layout, which also seems to be at least somewhat optimised for PC and console versions respectively. What I don't understand is why it looks like shit aesthetically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom