Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls games are terrible, but Elder Scrolls Online is a masterpiece.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
For a normal person, getting bored of a mmo in 2 months means it's shit.
No it doesn't at all. And 2 months is about 8 times longer than I played any Elder Scrolls game and most single player RPG's. Even good ones like Divinity Original Sin, I probably completed that in a week.

But apparently you don't actually like video games, just enjoy mowing through checklists (talking about your 1 sp game per week metric). You're a CEO's wet dream.
No a CEO's wet dream is one who buys all the DLC and cash shop stuff. And I don't care about checklists. And I love games. So try again.

Sykar

Arcane
Yeah I am a Zenimax plant, hired to infiltrate the lucrative old retards audience at rpg codex. Also tell me an MMO better than this.

I do not care much for MMOs since most of them are cheap soulless grindfests. I'd rather have my 20th UnderRail playthrough than playing a cash grab like this.
You can only afford 1 game? Bless.

Non-sequitur, retarded newfag.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Yeah I am a Zenimax plant, hired to infiltrate the lucrative old retards audience at rpg codex. Also tell me an MMO better than this.

I do not care much for MMOs since most of them are cheap soulless grindfests. I'd rather have my 20th UnderRail playthrough than playing a cash grab like this.
You can only afford 1 game? Bless.
I hate to break it to you, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Also, there are some posters from third-world countries or who are poor. I don't know if Sykar is either of these, but the reality of it exists.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah Ethiopians should probably steer clear of ESO. Or any mental patients who replay things 20 times and without self harming themselves to death. For anyone else then by all means enjoy Underrail for 6 days and then come back when you need something else to play.

Sykar

Arcane
Yeah Ethiopians should probably steer clear of ESO. Or any mental patients who replay things 20 times and without self harming themselves to death. For anyone else then by all means enjoy Underrail for 6 days and then come back when you need something else to play.

You really are retarded.

Monocause

Arcane
What? I don't think you know what inflation means.

You know, you have a balloon, and you inflate it. It can get really big in appearance! But the fact is, it's the same lousy small piece of rubber it was originally until you pumped it full of your lungs' content. Or money. With some currencies, you can have tons of it! Too bad that the purchasing power of that pile of cash you carry around in a suitcase is the same as a single five dollar bill.

I mean, I get that you disagree here but not entirely sure why did you decide to choose this particular avenue to defend the game.

The stories are as good or better than any other MMO. Try again.

So what's the cool thing about ESO writing, again? You kinda forgot to make your case here. Try again.

The fact that some kind of crap is as good, if not better, than other crap, doesn't make it less crap. And TOR's realisation of the world, while obviously flawed, was clearly superior than this.

Wrong again. There is a whole huge PVP part of the game, there are world bosses, and raids. And there are tons of dungeons and a full crafting system etc. What do you think it is lacking, and tell me an MMO that has something this doesn't have.

You misread my point - I was saying that the game's systems don't feel like they work together that much. There's nothing wrong with dungeons with lots and lots of combat per se, nor did I ever claim that the game does not have features or content you mention above.

As a sidenote - starting off with strong statements like "you're wrong" doesn't actually make your case stronger. It can be a useful strategy if you're trying to bully someone into agreement, but this isn't a car dealership and I've been on these boards longer than you did, and therefore it would be way easier for me to completely dismiss whatever you wrote (as many others do) rather than the other way around.

If you really want to have a conversation about this game, you could do better by trying not to antagonise people who are trying to discuss even though they strongly disagree with you.

But that is how every MMO works.... This game does a better job than any MMO I've seen (including modern ones like GW2) because you can actually change parts of the world with your actions and what you do on quests.

This isn't entirely true. For one, there's MMOs like EVE online where players control huge swathes of space including structures, trade, politics etc. Another thing is there's story-lite MMOs like for example Neverwinter. Those have multiple failings of their own but the way the game's designed, I was absolutely fine with the fact that my actions don't have a lasting effect on the world. Or that the mobs keep respawning.

Gotta love these posts, lots of content is a bad thing herpy derpy doo. Nothing you do is inconsequential because it moves you forward in terms of skills and exp. I've played it hardcore for about 2 months and today was a huge landmark for me, finally reaching CP160 which is the maximum level that gear goes up to. But there are still about 400 more levels for me to make and each will build me up more. I also have still have lots of gear to get, and even at level 160 I still need to make more progress until I can start
doing Veteran dungeons and raids. I also can't even think about doing PVP without getting a whole second set of gear for that.

There is tons of content and it all achieves something. Clearly you just don't care about the game and don't want to give it a chance. I am sure most people who have played Skyrim but not MMO's feel the same way. You want to be the one person who saves the world and you want it to end after a few weeks. MMO's are not about that.

What I meant was that overabundance of content cheapens it. It doesn't feel special solving this bandit problem, when there's 50 bandit problems around.It doesn't feel particularly rewarding getting XP and loot from a quest, when there's dozens of quests available right next to you that do the same. Scarcity boosts value, and well-designed games know this. This is doable to some extent even in MMOs - TOR, for example, had different kinds of quests available. Normal quests were your typical MMO filler but you had quest chains, heroic quests and story quests as well, and those were rarer, more challenging and more rewarding.

What you're saying amounts to a statement that the grind is its own reward, and reaching the endpoint of the grind is a valid goal on its own. I don't think so.

There are only so many types of quests in any game... it has nothing to do with being an MMO. And there are more in this game than Skyrim.

More types of quests? This is completely untrue, for the simple reason that Skyrim has plenty of mechanics that couldn't work in an MMO.

Stop dying like a spaz then... Nothing comes out of nowhere, all the mobs are easy to spot, and even ones that respawn don't attack for a while. It is hard at low levels because you have bad gear and no abilities. But that is why you try to progress because it all changes. At level 15 the number of spells/abilities you can use will double, and you start to feel stronger. I can now just charge through any number of mobs and survive, or turn and fight them and kill them all in 10 seconds. And they aren't useless, they give exp and they drop gear that is scaled to your level, and crafting materials.

The pretty vistas are always there no matter what.

And your notion that I kept dying came from where, exactly? Cause during my gametime in ESO I haven't died even once. And saying mobs aren't useless because they give XP is uh. Somehow I don't think you'll find a lot of adherents on this forum :)

But what RPG or MMORPG is any different? Even crappy Skyrim is the same thing, hack until dead, pop a potion or cheese if injured. Where ESO is special is that you have a big selection of things you can choose to use as your own personal build, and the actual combat gets really interesting later on. When you do dungeons at higher levels you have 10 spells and use most of them constantly, all while moving carefully, avoiding stuff, diving out the way of stuff, blocking big attacks etc. How could an action RPG be any better than this? I would love to know.

In Skyrim (which, by the way, is a far cry from the best example here) I have multiple options for tackling a bunch of scenarios. I can sneak around and sneak kill stuff. I can cast spells that will make me way more powerful than I should be. I can pop potions that will do the same. I can make the enemies fight each other. I can kill one enemy of the group, go invisible, sneak attack another one. I can use magic to calm them down and absolutely ignore them. In Morrowind, I could have also levitated out of weapons reach, summoned a host of angry daedra, used speed boosts to outrun them. Morrowind fans could probably extend this list.

I struggle to believe that you're actually saying that an ESO dungeon is a richer gameplay experience than a Skyrim dungeon. I actually went on youtube and browsed a bunch of videos showing high level ESO gameplay to see if maybe it indeed grows richer as you progress. Guess what - no. More challenging and more demanding in terms of reflexes, perhaps - but mechanics wise, it's exactly what I've seen during my time there.

No crafting in this game is really good. The end game is researching items, and every item you make can have several traits that you need to research from items you find. You have to level up too, and there is a lot of depth to it. The crafting is really good, and an integral part of the game. Money comes in from killing things and doing dungeons etc, so the game is made so that you can deconstruct and research most of the loot you make.

I'm not saying it's useless, but it's a grind. The deconstruction you've mentioned means sitting at the craft shop and deconstructing heaps of junk I've collected. Click, click, click. Researching means you pick a trait from an item you found and wait a long RL time for it to complete - exciting. For a long time, the only useful thing you get out of crafting is subbing your lvl 6 dagger with a lvl 8 one, once you reach lvl 8.

LOL..... I wish I read this first.

I take it that the true value of this masterpiece goes unnoticed until you invest at least 30-40 hours into it. In that case sorry, but I don't have the time to gamble away on a game that for the first 7 hours feels relatively mediocre.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You really are retarded.
You are the one who played Underrail 20 times already and wants to play it more instead of some mmo you know nothing about.

But The Elder Scrolls Online has blown my mind.
Can a random scrub play it just to enjoy some lore and to meet dwemer and Vivec?
Yes. You can easily die when travelling if you can't at least defend yourself, but if you pick a Sorcerer with Hardened Ward and the blink skill, you can outrun anything. You can also buy a horse and then upgrade the horse's speed and/or strength so it can run through enemies.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I mean, I get that you disagree here but not entirely sure why did you decide to choose this particular avenue to defend the game.
And why would you choose that to attack the game? It doesn't make much sense. It is just the same content you get in any RPG, only bigger and more of everything. You aren't even qualified to talk about this game. You played it for 7 hours and then quit... You saw like 0.1% of the game.

So what's the cool thing about ESO writing, again? You kinda forgot to make your case here. Try again.

The fact that some kind of crap is as good, if not better, than other crap, doesn't make it less crap. And TOR's realisation of the world, while obviously flawed, was clearly superior than this.
I don't know SWTOR's world well enough to compare, but ESO has good quests and the writing is as good as SWTOR. It is no Witcher 3, but nothing is. The world is a very realistic medieval style world. I would prefer more fantasy stuff but you can't complain about ESO's world, it is massive and very varied. You would know this if you saw more than 0.1% of the game.

You misread my point - I was saying that the game's systems don't feel like they work together that much.
No I didn't misread anything. You said "you either do solo questing or dungeons with constant combat." And you are wrong.

There's nothing wrong with dungeons with lots and lots of combat per se, nor did I ever claim that the game does not have features or content you mention above.
You did, read your own post again.

As a sidenote - starting off with strong statements like "you're wrong" doesn't actually make your case stronger.
There is no case, I am right and you are wrong, proof is in the game.

I was absolutely fine with the fact that my actions don't have a lasting effect on the world. Or that the mobs keep respawning.
No you weren't. You said this "I find it literally impossible to care for MMO stories as a number of mechanics, such as respawning enemies, absolutely kill the game world's coherence for me." Maybe if you don't make such posts full of made up crap, you will have an easier time keeping your story straight.

What I meant was that overabundance of content cheapens it. It doesn't feel special solving this bandit problem, when there's 50 bandit problems around.It doesn't feel particularly rewarding getting XP and loot from a quest, when there's dozens of quests available right next to you that do the same. Scarcity boosts value, and well-designed games know this. This is doable to some extent even in MMOs - TOR, for example, had different kinds of quests available. Normal quests were your typical MMO filler but you had quest chains, heroic quests and story quests as well, and those were rarer, more challenging and more rewarding.
ESO has the same variety of quests. Killing bandits is maybe 2% of all the quests in game, there are so many well thought out quests with real story lines. Again, your lack of time with the game is really showing.

What you're saying amounts to a statement that the grind is its own reward, and reaching the endpoint of the grind is a valid goal on its own. I don't think so.
Why not? It doesn't even feel like a grind unless you are skipping all the dialogue.

More types of quests? This is completely untrue, for the simple reason that Skyrim has plenty of mechanics that couldn't work in an MMO.
Skyrim has nothing that ESO doesn't have. That is the most basic action game posing as RPG ever.

And your notion that I kept dying came from where, exactly? Cause during my gametime in ESO I haven't died even once. And saying mobs aren't useless because they give XP is uh. Somehow I don't think you'll find a lot of adherents on this forum :)
You said you kept getting attacked by stuff out of nowhere, and then retraced your steps and got attacked again. That sounds like a noob who keeps dying and can't spot obvious mobs. And I don't see how having lots of mobs is bad. They all do something. They are either part of a quest, part of the environment, and all of them contain crafting materials. It is an action game, fighting is what you do, there needs to be plenty of mobs.

In Skyrim (which, by the way, is a far cry from the best example here) I have multiple options for tackling a bunch of scenarios. I can sneak around and sneak kill stuff. I can cast spells that will make me way more powerful than I should be. I can pop potions that will do the same. I can make the enemies fight each other. I can kill one enemy of the group, go invisible, sneak attack another one. I can use magic to calm them down and absolutely ignore them. In Morrowind, I could have also levitated out of weapons reach, summoned a host of angry daedra, used speed boosts to outrun them. Morrowind fans could probably extend this list.
You can do all of that in ESO too... Why quit after 7 hours and then complain about all the stuff you can't do? There are 50 levels for every weapon in the game and every spell line, and every guild and quest etc. You must have been barely level 10 at just a few of them. Each one unlocks more spells and abilities.

I struggle to believe that you're actually saying that an ESO dungeon is a richer gameplay experience than a Skyrim dungeon.
It is 100 times 'richer'. Skyrim dungeons are not even dungeons, they are glorified caves.

I actually went on youtube and browsed a bunch of videos showing high level ESO gameplay to see if maybe it indeed grows richer as you progress. Guess what - no. More challenging and more demanding in terms of reflexes, perhaps - but mechanics wise, it's exactly what I've seen during my time there.
So wrong. Every boss has its own tactics that the players need to deal with. And there are several in every dungeon and there are 20+ dungeons. You have players being made to hallucinate and seeing different things to everyone else, and yet they need to kill something that they can't see, so have to be shown by the group. There are bosses that create portals that bring in armies of enemies and someone needs to destroy the portals. A boss that splashes acid all over the place, and then becomes completely invincible, and can only be damaged again if someone runs in the acid and then runs to a nearby geyser to wash the acid away. He also summons enemies to help him which are too hard to just shoot down, so you have to kill the animal keepers around the arena so the animals get loose and help you. There are ones that create beams of lightning that rotate and can kill people in 2 seconds if they don't avoid it. Etc..etc..

No crafting in this game is really good. The end game is researching items, and every item you make can have several traits that you need to research from items you find. You have to level up too, and there is a lot of depth to it. The crafting is really good, and an integral part of the game. Money comes in from killing things and doing dungeons etc, so the game is made so that you can deconstruct and research most of the loot you make.

I'm not saying it's useless, but it's a grind. The deconstruction you've mentioned means sitting at the craft shop and deconstructing heaps of junk I've collected. Click, click, click. Researching means you pick a trait from an item you found and wait a long RL time for it to complete - exciting. For a long time, the only useful thing you get out of crafting is subbing your lvl 6 dagger with a lvl 8 one, once you reach lvl 8.
But it has a lot more depth to it than Skyrim and even most other MMOs. Whether it is fun or not is subjective, but it is clearly better than most games. Also what you said about crafting useless loot is not true. People can't wear items that are higher level than them, so the lower level items you make are so you can make stuff for other people. And there are lots of traits that are all useful to someone. Most people want the one that boosts their chosen Mundus stone, but the exp boost trait is the best thing to have when you are making a new character etc.

I take it that the true value of this masterpiece goes unnoticed until you invest at least 30-40 hours into it. In that case sorry, but I don't have the time to gamble away on a game that for the first 7 hours feels relatively mediocre.
Yes it does. I thought it was mediocre at first too, but I went to a whole different part of the world and started doing different things and suddenly it became a lot more interesting. As it does when you unlock more spells and skills. The big change is at level 15 when you get to use two weapons at the same time, and combat becomes all about juggling between the two hotbars. If you can't even get to level 15, then you have no business judging the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom