Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Eitr - Norse-themed pixel art Dark Souls-inspired hack and slash thingie

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Imagine if someone did a proper RPG with that style... aaah.

#FUCK3D

#FUCK3D

Yeah, game doesn't look bad, it's cool to finally have some horror fantasy isometric games, but seems more like a metroid like game, than even an action rpg. Maybe they'll add more items (armor/weapons) later? Or more monsters?

If only someone made a Diablo 1 inspired game (atmosphere wise, and other cool thing from Diablo like art style, nice itemization etc.) but as a crpg with more character depth and world interaction and dialogue...

We get "Diablo inspired" games, like this one, and Darkest Dungeons, but they all lack depth and complexity of a proper crpg. It's all mostly combat, and although they do have some nice ideas, I still find them lacking somewhat. I'm sure it would be a very cool setting to make a horror fantasy crpg. I can't even think of one game set in such a setting, even the crappy ones...

#FUCK3D

Yeah, game doesn't look bad, it's cool to finally have some horror fantasy isometric games, but seems more like a metroid like game, than even an action rpg. Maybe they'll add more items (armor/weapons) later? Or more monsters?

If only someone made a Diablo 1 inspired game (atmosphere wise, and other cool thing from Diablo like art style, nice itemization etc.) but as a crpg with more character depth and world interaction and dialogue...

We get "Diablo inspired" games, like this one, and Darkest Dungeons, but they all lack depth and complexity of a proper crpg. It's all mostly combat, and although they do have some nice ideas, I still find them lacking somewhat. I'm sure it would be a very cool setting to make a horror fantasy crpg. I can't even think of one game set in such a setting, even the crappy ones...
They lack depth and complexity because it's not the kind you want. What's depth? What's complexity? Are you talking obscure stats and skills? Huge dialogue trees? Maybe you mean lots of different kinds of items and uses for them? Are you talking a bloated inventory system? Do you mean no hand holding? Are you talking lots of options to win a fight? Do you mean turn-based or real-time? I could go on and try to explain how gamers DO want depth and complexity, but gamers don't always agree on how these two words are defined. Even in action RPGs like Diablo-esque hybrids, there's lots of complexity when you get into big fights with lots of spells and actions to choose from.

I know exactly what you're saying and we could probably agree on many things, but we're just two people versus billions of other people on hte planet with differing opinions and likes and dislikes. Needless to say, I've enjoyed diablo-like games, but I've also enjoyed slow cumbersome overcomplicated RPGs as well. I think it'd be a sad world if only one kind of RPG was ever made. I think it's a good thing we don't all agree. It preserves individuality.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Looks interesting i do hope that they will add more interesting creatures from the Norse mythology there's a lot of creatures so im not that impressed with skeletons.

But anyway 6 months? I will follow this game.

polo

Magister
I remember watching something of this some time ago, forgot totally about it. Still looks pretty good, im going to follow this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tumblr_nfkh3m2HZJ1u2uscho1_400.png

It has stats and experience points, therefore it's an RPG!

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah that loose definition of rpg always bugged me. Dark Souls is an action adventure with rpg elements yet people insist on calling it an rpg, and it grinds my gears a little.

Norfleet

"RPG" is really kind of an empty term, when you think about it. What's the only word that actually means anything in there? "Role"? Being that you're playing a game is already implicit, and thus redundant, so what's really left is just "Role". So what's a role? Basically, a character. So, an RPG is any game where you have a character. That's a pretty open-ended criterion, and the only thing you can really EXCLUDE are things where you definitely have no character, or at least not one you play anything with, like, oh, say, Missile Command. Even the Space Invaders defender probably could be argued to be a character, especially if he has stats.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If they got this far already, this game will become a lot better soon, and at the point of completion it will beat Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 around like redheaded stepchildren with Down Syndrome.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they got this far already, this game will become a lot better soon, and at the point of completion it will beat Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 around like redheaded stepchildren with Down Syndrome.

What's with the extreme confidence all of a sudden? All we've seen is a bunch of animated gifs....what have you done with the real shihonage?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What's with the extreme confidence all of a sudden? All we've seen is a bunch of animated gifs....what have you done with the real shihonage?

You're talking as if Diablo3 and Torchlight2 set some kind of bar.

Even now, that game is already more Diablo than either of those titles.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Looks interesting, but I'd like to see what comes out further before I say :d1p:.
As someone else said, there's a TON of Norse themed shit out there to take from without going all skeletons and rats.
And I would have LOVED to see those mutated nightmare hordes of Ragnarok, humans that have given themselves to the chaos entirely.

made

Arcane
Yeah that loose definition of rpg always bugged me. Dark Souls is an action adventure with rpg elements yet people insist on calling it an rpg, and it grinds my gears a little.
It is good that you have come to the Codex seeking education for you clearly know very little about RPGs.

The three key aspects that make an RPG are:

- fightan
- exploran
- stronger becoman

Dark Souls features all three in copious amounts, it is therefore without question an RPG.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is good that you have come to the Codex seeking education for you clearly know very little about RPGs.

- fightan
- exploran
- stronger becoman

Dark Souls features all three in copious amounts, it is therefore without question an RPG.
fighting and gay romances are what makes games RPGs.

made

Arcane

- fightan
- exploran
- stronger becoman

fighting and gay romances are what makes games RPGs.
No, neophyte. Gay romances merely make it a more realistic experience.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Someone should gift them a copy of Dominions 4. They just need to play any heim faction to find better monsters than generic skellys.

You mean like... PAUSE the moneymaker machine and do some RESEARCH? Make something SPECIAL instead of popamole? Blasphemy!

Besides, they would have to read a 400-page manual. I don't know a single indy dev who ever read such a massive piece of text. Maybe if I post random pics from Dominions wiki they would notice, though (yeah, keep dreamin').

web.jpg
web.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom