Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm experimenting with swapping swordsmen for pikemen. They're pretty good. Not quite as tough but still good. First strike is nice, first aid and meditation are very nice (you can safely skip healers), and they do their job as protection for heroes and archers very well. The only problem is when you are forced to attack something (like assassins or enemies with very high ranged defense), then you're fucked because you do very little damage, swordsmen can trade attacks with any melee enemy because they have both good attack and counterattack. But as long as you can sit back and let the enemy come to you, you're golden.

Y6bR4DV.jpg

Aothan

Magister
that's a really good point about tier 1 units, I cannot seem to find much reason to include other units besides Swordsmen for cost and reliability. The exception is at the very opening where Militiamen are cost-effective for the sake of early ambushes or a group of Goblins or Skeletons and Zombies. But once Swordsmen can be afforded I don't see much reason not to use them almost exclusively. That is until they form a sufficient shield wall and one or more additional range units can be included. With the Wizard casting Magical Armour on a Swordsmen is remarkable for sheer endurance, casting on two units can ensure they will survive and even decide battles against multiple opponents (but not sieges)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Here's an weird thing that happened to me. I level'd a battlemage to 30 and all he got was 2 slots for rank 2 units and 4-5 slots for rank 1 ones. Then i had to delete him and start over cause there was no way to defeat end game encounters. Is that intended? Is the way Heroes get stats (command, magic, hp etc) random?
Well. Casting white magic, or mass suicide removes majority of enemies from the battlefield. Also what do you mean delete level 30 hero? Grab new one and level him up.

I'm experimenting with swapping swordsmen for pikemen. They're pretty good. Not quite as tough but still good. First strike is nice, first aid and meditation are very nice (you can safely skip healers), and they do their job as protection for heroes and archers very well. The only problem is when you are forced to attack something (like assassins or enemies with very high ranged defense), then you're fucked because you do very little damage, swordsmen can trade attacks with any melee enemy because they have both good attack and counterattack. But as long as you can sit back and let the enemy come to you, you're golden.

Y6bR4DV.jpg

Pikemen are my go to units when I'm playing as a Wiz. I can cast my spells and let them form a ring around me.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Traveling merchants are like that, you get to look at cool stuff you can't afford most of the time. I think the best I've ever bought from one was a manticore egg, when do you have 13k just lying around? I always invest surplus gold into new capital buildings, windmills, next hero if I can afford it, maybe leaving 200-300 for bad events. Eador has a really tough economy for a TBS, even if you consistently pillage locations for gold a huge portion of that gets eaten by upkeep, corruption, repairs, events, province guards and other things.

Traveling merchants are like that, you get to look at cool stuff you can't afford most of the time. I think the best I've ever bought from one was a manticore egg, when do you have 13k just lying around? I always invest surplus gold into new capital buildings, windmills, next hero if I can afford it, maybe leaving 200-300 for bad events. Eador has a really tough economy for a TBS, even if you consistently pillage locations for gold a huge portion of that gets eaten by upkeep, corruption, repairs, events, province guards and other things.

True enough. I like to study the items and daydream about the stuff i could have had though :D

Actually, in a way it should be reworked. There's no need for a traveling merchant mechanics if you never ever buy anything from it.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
It's a balancing mechanism of sorts. They have the best items in the game so you only get once chance to get them, with regular shops found in provinces I often go back for stuff like elven bows or rare scrolls. The problem is that if you're exploring provinces you probably don't have much money and realistically you almost never have THAT much gold to randomly spare, so it really is useless most of the time.
What you could do (if you don't care about the score/revisions) is screenshot the items, go one turn back to the past and give your hero different orders until you have enough money, then go back and explore the province once, I'm pretty sure the order and properties of things discovered by exploration are fixed when the map is created.

Last edited:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I've tried that reloading and going back later trick. You still find the traveling merchant at the same % of exploration, but his wares are randomized each time, so there's no way to save up for that one item you want that he had. I guess that's for the best, but it's really sad when he's selling something that's around a thousand gold and I need like 200 more to afford it, but I already sold all my garbage items.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Hmm. So the inventory is randomized each time, I thought it would be the same. Maybe it works like loot then.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Rule n 1. You don't get these merchants when you have 50000 gold. And if you did, it had much less interesting stuff than when you had 100 gold.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
It keeps happening
QjdhpCW.jpg

Have you ever tried attacking the travelling merchants? I've never tried, so I don't know what happens.
They always have golem guards, so I've never tried it either. If you have an army that can take on 6 golems you're not exploring provinces. It's really like the merchants are there just to tease the player :lol:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Merchants have 12+ items, loot is only 5, what's a probability you'd get hydra egg, or something juicy?

Best way to beat him up is when you have high level hero which is trying to find location for low level one, while AIs are at each other throats.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Merchants have 12+ items, loot is only 5, what's a probability you'd get hydra egg, or something juicy?

Best way to beat him up is when you have high level hero which is trying to find location for low level one, while AIs are at each other throats.

So you get what they have for sale? Thats sweet.

Aothan

Magister
I think there is a local merchant in one of the provinces with a Hydra egg, and at this time there are two heroes alternating attacks on an adjacent province (i.e. I send one away the other moves in, repeat indefinitely). But my Scout only has tier 2 unit slots available, what level would a Scout need to be to have a tier 3 unit in their army ?

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
what level would a Scout need to be to have a tier 3 unit in their army ?
10+, base type heroes other than commanders don't get t3 slots. Hydras are t4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom