Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline EA Rapes Dungeon Keeper

m_s0

Arcane
The reputation thing will turn around soon enough and EA is going to be the good guy for a bit in the media (like when they released Mirror's Edge and Dead Space) while some other company is going to "take over" as the Evil Empire for a time. That's how it goes, and it never changes anything. Not for the better, anyway.

AngryKobold

Arcane
cdsqfsn5kdv.jpg

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/dungeon-keeper/user-reviews

The extremely negative user response is heartwarming...maybe there is still some hope left for mankind.

:love:

Readed some of this.

The people are so dumb, they're acting dumb even when throwing shit at something that obviously sucks. Between the lines there's obvious thing they rage at. It's not about the quality so low it's next to Cthulhu's basement! It's all about money. Pretty common for human beings to hate to pay for anything, least for something that should be free.

Were there no microtransactions, they'd likely give it 5/5 10/10. No uproar, every complain ended with usual "it's not your grandpa's DK. You filthy wannabe elitist".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
they're acting dumb even when throwing shit at something that obviously sucks.

That's actually also something that always makes me sick about gaemin joornalizm. Every once in a while, something obviously horrible will come out, like Colon Marines or this abomination, and suddenly, every possible outlet out there will jump the bandwagon and start giving it 0/10s because it's the current cool thing to do, and it also makes them take up the pose of "LOOK AT US! WE ARE BEING CRITICAL! AND WE STAND UP FOR THE GAMERS AND POINT OUT SCAMS! JUST LIKE REAL JOURNALISM!"

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but they deliberately decided to splap the "Dungeon Keeper" label on their generic pay2win game to get it some attention

Yeah, this I don't understand.
Admittedly, I know fuck all about business, but they even said the game is not aimed at the fans of the series. Then what the fuck? What exactly was the purpose? Isn't brand recognition supposed to attract people who know the brand? How does this work?

Although I guess it is possible that EA hoped that it will attract fans of the series and they'd all be "something is better than nothing".

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and it also makes them take up the pose of "LOOK AT US! WE ARE BEING CRITICAL! AND WE STAND UP FOR THE GAMERS AND POINT OUT SCAMS! JUST LIKE REAL JOURNALISM!"

Precisely. They will suck whatever dick is most fashionable to suck at the time.

Coyote

Arcane
Inb4 EA reports profit of hundreds of millions from this.
It probably cost fuck-all to develop so I'm sure they'll make a profit.
The damage to the already tarnished EA brand is probably going to be more costly in the long run, though.

Given how EA has responded the last couple of times their reputation took a hit - those are from a month after ME3's release on the same day they got their first "worst company" award and two days after the release of SimCity, respectively - I think we should expect a press release about how they're valiantly defending the rights of gays and lesbians against a bunch of homophobes (who may be pretending to hate EA for other reasons, hint, hint) any day now.

(Although to be honest, I doubt that this makes enough of a stir for them to pull out their big guns. Maybe if they get a third golden poo.)

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
On the topic of DK1 atmosphere v DK2 atmosphere, I would argue simultaneously that 1) this forum's preteen attitude toward what makes something mature (i.e., seriousness and darks) is clouding the discussion, and 2) DK2 was definitely lighter, in a number of ways. As some have mentioned, the goofiness of DK2 was primarily in the cinematics, of which there were tons, but there's no way that shiny goofball Lord of the Land would show up in DK1.

DK1 was funny as all hell, but much more subtle and dark in a fashionable '90s gothy Rob Zombie Diablo 1 kind of way. I remember seeing a prerelease magazine ad for it that literally just had an actor dressed as a medieval executioner and holding a red-hot iron. It was fucking creepy. The ad probably said something like, "It's good to be evil."

However, gameplay-wise, the difference in vibes I'd attribute mostly to graphics technology, not to the style of game. The resolution and engine of DK1 make it feel grittier and bulkier. DK2 was very shiny, crisp, airy. Everything felt so thin, just due to the models. DK1 monsters feel heavy. They're just blurry blobs and they feel thick. You feel the mass of bile demons and demon spawn. DK2 removed demon spawn, which is something I never really approved of, and it replaced them with a bunch of humanoids like rogues, goblins, dark elves, dark angels -- basically, thin things. It also got rid of the whole get-bigger-as-you-train thing that I loved, and also salamanders didn't turn into dragons at level 11 -- indeed, they fuckin' removed dragons.

So basically, I think it's an 1999 art engine thing combined with the fact that they replaced bulky things like demon spawn and beetles with thin humanoids.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
but they deliberately decided to splap the "Dungeon Keeper" label on their generic pay2win game to get it some attention

Admittedly, I know fuck all about business, but they even said the game is not aimed at the fans of the series. Then what the fuck? What exactly was the purpose? Isn't brand recognition supposed to attract people who know the brand? How does this work?
People store up subliminal information about stuff they don't really know all the time. Think about it, if you didn't watch TV and didn't know anything about it, you'd probably still buy 'The Wire' if you absolutely needed to watch a series right now, just on the strength of vague positive reinforcement.

Just like Fargo and Torment :smug:

The people are so dumb, they're acting dumb even when throwing shit at something that obviously sucks. Between the lines there's obvious thing they rage at. It's not about the quality so low it's next to Cthulhu's basement! It's all about money. Pretty common for human beings to hate to pay for anything, least for something that should be free.

Were there no microtransactions, they'd likely give it 5/5 10/10. No uproar, every complain ended with usual "it's not your grandpa's DK. You filthy wannabe elitist".

If you want to read reviews about the quality of the game you'll probably have to wait about 3-4 weeks, at which point the few players left will have finally finished their first hatchery and lair.

AngryKobold

Arcane
There's something funny about the motto, "It's good to be bad". Fits it perfectly. It's like a red nose on clown's face. As if the studio openly told us it's a bad game and they're feeling good about it. Or the studio took it literally and thought it's good to be a bad developer.

By the way, what happened to "It's good to be evil". Odd like fuck to suddenly change a recognizable text accompanying both previous titles.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Heresiarch

Prophet
So, thanks to EA and this shitty mobile version, the classic DK1 has grabbed my attention again, and I've just noticed the Keeper FX version which has also fixed tons of bugs (including Word of Power not dealing damage).

My question: is the expansion Deeper Dungeons good? I've only finished the main missions but never played the xpac.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Yes, Deeper Dungeons is good. It's a bunch of levels without any story, but they are pretty original and provide a lot more challenge than the base levels. That and it also includes a better Keeper AI.

Dexter

Arcane
I'm not sure how people could even for the slightest moment argue that Dungeon Keeper was supposed to be "serious", when was the last time you listened to some of the mission briefings?

dungeon_keeper_10241.jpg

20.png

Last edited:

set

Cipher
Drama? More like, the kind of reason why you shouldn't support unfinished games. I mean, let's be real here -- Minecraft made how many bajillion dollars? And even it had a short development as soon as the money started rolling in. Fuck early access, it's just about as bad as the shit we've been seeing on mobile. Developers shouldn't see a dime until they've at least gotten something concrete in the hands of the consumer.

Early access and ransomeware-like f2p games are both scams.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Drama? More like, the kind of reason why you shouldn't support unfinished games. I mean, let's be real here -- Minecraft made how many bajillion dollars? And even it had a short development as soon as the money started rolling in. Fuck early access, it's just about as bad as the shit we've been seeing on mobile. Developers shouldn't see a dime until they've at least gotten something concrete in the hands of the consumer.

Early access and ransomeware-like f2p games are both scams.

I would say that crappy games and crappy developers are scams. Whether they're labelled "Early Access" or just released unfinished like Aliens: Colonial Marines, Rome 2 or Takedown: Red Sabre is of little importance. At least the former is more honest.

I made a thread for the Towns drama here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/towns-drama.89794/

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Although I guess it is possible that EA hoped that it will attract fans of the series and they'd all be "something is better than nothing".
It's for PR basically. Another free2play mobile game isn't going to get much attention from the gaming media, but call it "dungeon keeper" and there will be at least some articles titles something like "EA bringing classic Dungeon Keeper to mobile devices!" That gives you some buzz and encourages people to try the game out when it's released, which pushes it up on the "most downloaded" lists at the app stores and gets it even more attention.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Even better: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pe...ngeon-keeper-this-is-ridiculous/1100-6417611/

Notice the failure of journalism to link Molyneux's comment to his own greed-fueled "game". Of course he'd probably defend his own effort by saying it was an experiment and you do not need to wait for things to happen since you can instead keep clicking like a moron. Actually one of his biggest complaints appear to be the fact that you need to wait for your dungeon to build itself.

That's the kind of neutered news that brings nothing new to the table, just a few quotes from a big name without any sort of criticism.

set

Cipher
Sometimes I can't help but wonder if Penny Arcade is too in "the know". Does 90% of their readership even know what that is even poking fun at?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom