Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA/Mythic Entertainment mount Ultima's corpse so they can kill it again

Alex

Arcane
I wonder what MCA would do to ultima.

Eh, I don't know. I really can't see Mr. Avellone doing something akin to Ultima. I mean, I think the closest he has made to a game like that was Planescape. Planescape had a pretty good exploration. In fact, it was what made the game thrive, I think. But in a way, it is the polar opposite of Ultima. While Planescape was all about the unusual, about the mysterious, magical and impossible, Ultima made an amazingly good exploration out of common, even trivial things! The maid at the castle who has an affair behind the puppeteer's back, the baker who has a bread recipe handed down from his family, the goddamn parrot who knows the location of the treasure.

While Planescape was all about weaving a story with all those themes, Ultima was a lot more about this place that, while magical, was rather mundane. It was all about these really small things that come together and form the bigger picture of Britannia. The thing is, this doesn't really sound like MCA's cup of tea. Everything he has done has been more about personal stories, I think. Like, even in PS:T, everything you explored in the end was a bit about TNO himself, as the themes always turned back to him. I don't know, maybe he would surprise me and do something very different from what he has done up to now, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I wonder what MCA would do to ultima.

Eh, I don't know. I really can't see Mr. Avellone doing something akin to Ultima. I mean, I think the closest he has made to a game like that was Planescape. Planescape had a pretty good exploration. In fact, it was what made the game thrive, I think. But in a way, it is the polar opposite of Ultima. While Planescape was all about the unusual, about the mysterious, magical and impossible, Ultima made an amazingly good exploration out of common, even trivial things! The maid at the castle who has an affair behind the puppeteer's back, the baker who has a bread recipe handed down from his family, the goddamn parrot who knows the location of the treasure.

While Planescape was all about weaving a story with all those themes, Ultima was a lot more about this place that, while magical, was rather mundane. It was all about these really small things that come together and form the bigger picture of Britannia. The thing is, this doesn't really sound like MCA's cup of tea. Everything he has done has been more about personal stories, I think. Like, even in PS:T, everything you explored in the end was a bit about TNO himself, as the themes always turned back to him. I don't know, maybe he would surprise me and do something very different from what he has done up to now, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Actually if you remember at least some Ultimas tackled on some issues which I think Avellone would've liked to deal with, such as moral absolutism, twisting the virtues and corruption of once fair man (Blackthorne in Ultima 5). I would've loved to see what MCA does concepts like that in the setting such as it is in Ultimas but now we never know.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, let them see how 'ultima forever' does.

Wen it fails horribly, EA will just take that as a sign people just aren't interested in an Ultima. What EA fails to understand is we DO want a new Ultima. A new single player classic like Ultima. But then EA's marketing department will then make their demands for Cinematic Experience™, Romances, AKSHUN COMBAT! GRIM DARK, Multi-Player, etc.... (because that's what SELLS!) All the fucking shit that is wrong with EA.

It's best the series should just die. That or Gariott isn't bat shit crazy and his new Ultimate RPG will actually be good. But I am not going to hold my breath.

Garriott is probably already senile or lost too much oxygen in the space. Isn't his "ULTIMATE AR PEE GEE" basicly MMO but probably for Fecesbook?

IIRC yes, ULTIMATE RPG™ will be done with Zynga. That or I am confusing it with the current games they have with them. I have basically no interest in his game. Again I'll wait for more info on it, but I am not expecting much. I wish he would finally come back to his senses and realize no, we don't want a shit multi-player shitbook game. But that is what he keeps thinking everyone wants. And we don't.
I blame irradiashun.

That's quite a problem in space.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are aware Alex Obsidian WAS trying to make a new Ultima game but EA laughed at them and told them no.

Eh, I'm not sure that's how it happened. As I understand, EA kicked around the idea of handing Ultima to Obsidian, Obsidian did some very preliminary work on it, and then EA changed their minds.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You are aware Alex Obsidian WAS trying to make a new Ultima game but EA laughed at them and told them no.

Eh, I'm not sure that's how it happened. As I understand, EA kicked around the idea of handing Ultima to Obsidian, Obsidian did some very preliminary work on it, and then EA changed their minds.

My understanding was Obsidian approached EA with the Ultima idea. Though it has been a while since I read that quote specifically mentioning it. And now I can't seem to find it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

My understanding was Obsidian approached EA with the Ultima idea. Though it has been a while since I read that quote specifically mentioning it. And now I can't seem to find it.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not what happened. They didn't even have an Ultima idea. Anthony Davis told us how Josh refreshed his memory of the Ultimas by replaying U5, remember?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What EA fails to understand is we DO want a new Ultima. A new single player classic like Ultima. But then EA's marketing department will then make their demands for Cinematic Experience™, Romances, AKSHUN COMBAT! GRIM DARK, Multi-Player, etc.... (because that's what SELLS!) All the fucking shit that is wrong with EA.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I would love to see Bioware's take on Ultima, not this kiddy browser bullshit posted here.

You can't tell me that you never wanted to see the Avatar get it on with Julia and Mariah in Moonglow's inn. They were hot, you just couldn't tell because the technological limitations of the era made them look like blocky stickmen. Hell, it's a new millenium, if the girls of Ultima don't do it for you, maybe you can show Dupre the light. It's about time this franchise was brought up to date and gave us all something to remember.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The funny thing about Ultima is that if the series had continued with the design philosophy of Serpent Isle, instead of going full retard AKSHUN ADVENTURE, it very likely would have eventually ended up as something Bioware-like.

It's one of the most incredibly myopic acts in RPG history that SI was never properly followed up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Jaesun You might be interested in some bits of this conversation we had on Facebook a while back (edited by me)

Infinitron: To me, the the most interesting thing is not to point out how and why Ultima 8 and 9 are bad games. We all know that already, let's move on.

I'd like to see some inquiry as to how and why Ultima diverged so sharply from what the vast majority of its fan wanted it to become. There are questions here that it seems nobody has dared to ask.

Kenneth: Because making games only to satisfy the demands of established fans is ultimately a losing strategy. D'uh.

Or how about: because Origin's design style was always "technology first, story later". They built the engine, then figured out what sort of tale they could tell with it.

Infinitron: Except that's not relevant to what actually happened, Kenneth. With Serpent Isle, Origin were on the cusp of creating a type of experience that would only a few years later be proven to be extremely popular with wider audiences. But they stepped back from that, did a complete 180. One of the biggest blunders in gaming history.

Kenneth: Serpent Isle was built by a different team, though, rather than the core Ultima group at Origin. There was some crossover of talent, yes, but the point is that SI's development was divergent from core Ultima development. SI did indeed achieve some very impressive things at a technical level (though, one notes, this came at the cost of it being a more linear, less open-world game than U6 or U7), but that technical evolution was largely separate from what was going on in Ultima development in general.

Infinitron: That doesn't mean they couldn't have learned from it. Warren Spector's team was on the cusp of creating a "western JRPG" type of game experience, _a full decade_ before KOTOR.

I mean, that's not even my favorite kind of game, but it would have been truer to the Ultima name and a more natural evolution if they'd have gone that way, instead of making a bid for the Prince of Persia crowd. AND it would have been more financially successful.

Like I said, a tragedy and an epic blunder. I guess all that complex scripting that SI required seemed like a non-viable development strategy at the time. 20 years later and games are all about scripted events.

Infinitron: To be fair, a lot of PC gaming companies lost their way in the mid-90's, crushed between the meteoric rise of the first person shooter genre and the CD-ROM full motion video multimedia extravaganza hype of the time. Origin was no exception.

Kenneth: I think you're on to something noting the shift in technology. And, to be fair, the shift in the market. SI was a heavily-scripted linear game in an era where minimally-scripted sandboxes were the norm.

Infinitron: Re: Origin games being primarily about the tech

The "Holy Triad" of Ultima VII-Underworld 2-Serpent Isle made fans believe Origin was progressing the Ultima franchise from a series of loosely related adventures, towards a setting with lots of lore and tight continuity, on par with something like the Forgotten Realms.

I don't feel this was a foolish expectation. That's how it felt like back in the early 90's, that Ultima was becoming "serious". Then they reneged on that.

Sergorn: That's correct. But you know what Underworld 2 and Serpent Isle had a common ?

Yup... little or no Richard Garriott in it. And Warren Spector shepherding them, who always said he put more focus on plot and settings while Garriott was more about the "virtual world" things.

And it feels to me that Garriott just stuck into this '80-ish mindset of loosely related adventure, where basically each new game wasn't so much a sequel as almost a reimagination of the series. This is how Ultima IX definitly felt as well.

But clearly by the end of the '90, people's expectations had changed.

Alex

Arcane

I heard of that, yes. I am sure a few guys in Obsidian are big Ultima fans, and would love the opportunity to mess around with it, Mr. Avellone perhaps included. What I am unsure is if the resulting game would feel like Ultima at all, although, like Infinitron pointed out, Serpent Island was already a different step. I guess that is more or less how an Obsidian Ultima might look like. Which is not bad at all, but I can't help but feel the approach of the original Ultimas, that was much more about the setting than the characters, has almost no takers in the gaming industry today.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I heard of that, yes. I am sure a few guys in Obsidian are big Ultima fans, and would love the opportunity to mess around with it, Mr. Avellone perhaps included. What I am unsure is if the resulting game would feel like Ultima at all, although, like Infinitron pointed out, Serpent Island was already a different step. I guess that is more or less how an Obsidian Ultima might look like. Which is not bad at all, but I can't help but feel the approach of the original Ultimas, that was much more about the setting than the characters, has almost no takers in the gaming industry today.

It has something worse than no takers. :hearnoevil:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Jaesun You might be interested in some bits of this conversation we had on Facebook a while back (edited by me)

Infinitron: To me, the the most interesting thing is not to point out how and why Ultima 8 and 9 are bad games. We all know that already, let's move on.

I'd like to see some inquiry as to how and why Ultima diverged so sharply from what the vast majority of its fan wanted it to become. There are questions here that it seems nobody has dared to ask.

Kenneth: Because making games only to satisfy the demands of established fans is ultimately a losing strategy. D'uh.

Or how about: because Origin's design style was always "technology first, story later". They built the engine, then figured out what sort of tale they could tell with it.

Infinitron: Except that's not relevant to what actually happened, Kenneth. With Serpent Isle, Origin were on the cusp of creating a type of experience that would only a few years later be proven to be extremely popular with wider audiences. But they stepped back from that, did a complete 180. One of the biggest blunders in gaming history.

Kenneth: Serpent Isle was built by a different team, though, rather than the core Ultima group at Origin. There was some crossover of talent, yes, but the point is that SI's development was divergent from core Ultima development. SI did indeed achieve some very impressive things at a technical level (though, one notes, this came at the cost of it being a more linear, less open-world game than U6 or U7), but that technical evolution was largely separate from what was going on in Ultima development in general.

Infinitron: That doesn't mean they couldn't have learned from it. Warren Spector's team was on the cusp of creating a "western JRPG" type of game experience, _a full decade_ before KOTOR.

I mean, that's not even my favorite kind of game, but it would have been truer to the Ultima name and a more natural evolution if they'd have gone that way, instead of making a bid for the Prince of Persia crowd. AND it would have been more financially successful.

Like I said, a tragedy and an epic blunder. I guess all that complex scripting that SI required seemed like a non-viable development strategy at the time. 20 years later and games are all about scripted events.

Infinitron: To be fair, a lot of PC gaming companies lost their way in the mid-90's, crushed between the meteoric rise of the first person shooter genre and the CD-ROM full motion video multimedia extravaganza hype of the time. Origin was no exception.

Kenneth: I think you're on to something noting the shift in technology. And, to be fair, the shift in the market. SI was a heavily-scripted linear game in an era where minimally-scripted sandboxes were the norm.

Infinitron: Re: Origin games being primarily about the tech

The "Holy Triad" of Ultima VII-Underworld 2-Serpent Isle made fans believe Origin was progressing the Ultima franchise from a series of loosely related adventures, towards a setting with lots of lore and tight continuity, on par with something like the Forgotten Realms.

I don't feel this was a foolish expectation. That's how it felt like back in the early 90's, that Ultima was becoming "serious". Then they reneged on that.

Sergorn: That's correct. But you know what Underworld 2 and Serpent Isle had a common ?

Yup... little or no Richard Garriott in it. And Warren Spector shepherding them, who always said he put more focus on plot and settings while Garriott was more about the "virtual world" things.

And it feels to me that Garriott just stuck into this '80-ish mindset of loosely related adventure, where basically each new game wasn't so much a sequel as almost a reimagination of the series. This is how Ultima IX definitly felt as well.

But clearly by the end of the '90, people's expectations had changed.

Great stuff bro, especially the snippets about Garriott. He deserves praise for creating Ultimas but he was apparently incapable to shift into the new era of gaming from the 80s.

DraQ

Arcane
I would love to see Bioware's take on Ultima, not this kiddy browser bullshit posted here.

You mean classic bioware stuff, like, gay Avatar? Lack of C&C? Awesome buttans?

That is generally what I described in the rest of my post, is it not? It would be the masterwork of our time.
Still :3/5:.

It's a promising troll, don't get me wrong, but you have to work on delivery to make it fly.

SI was a heavily-scripted linear game in an era where minimally-scripted sandboxes were the norm.
I'm hoping this kind of style makes a come back. Scripting is a crutch, and sandboxes seem to provide much more bang per buck invested - they are flexible, allow for long free-roaming gameplay, don't require as much cutscenes or VA and can be partially generated allowing for nearly unlimited size.

I've always thought that good virtual world requires first making a good conworld in general which implies focus on the setting.
Otherwise no amount of baking bread will save you, unless you're the kind of person who plays Sims.

:thekeytounderstandinggarriot:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
DraQ It's all relative. Serpent Isle was hardly a cutscene fest, it was only heavily scripted relative to previous Ultima games.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The avatar could be gay (ok, bi) already. U7 has it all.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
the whoores out in buccanner town didn't care about sex i thought. And that was the only thing i was talking about.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
the whoores out in buccanner town didn't care about sex i thought. And that was the only thing i was talking about.

You know I never did actually try that, as in take my male avatar and have a night with a male prostitute. Did they even have male prostitutes? I honesstly never payed that area of the game any attention. Except for searching the area.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I can't recall exactly, just noticed that it had both sexes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom