Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News EA has ruined BioWare

DraQ

Arcane
I still find flaunting something as obvious and inconsequential as knowledge of commonly accepted priority of operators to be very un-monocled attempt at being :monocle: .

:obviously:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
PS:T forced you to play as a fighter for, what, 7 or 8 levels (1/3 of a game)?
Oh skyway, please never change :love:

You start at level 3. I was Fighter level 6 when I switched to Mage. On my first run. Not using a waklthrough or any kind of hints. Ended the game with my level in the 20's. You do the math.

Let me know if you end up dividing by zero :smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Befuddled Halfling said:
But aside from common sense, Knowles on one of his blogs talks more about why he quit BioWare - one reason was that he didn't want to make a cinematic action adventure for pre-pubescent retards, which was a slight problem, because it happened to be his brief for DA2 in 08. He also talks about a significant loss of autonomy as lead designer. In one tweet he told people to stop blaming Laidlaw, because the decisions about DA2 were simply not his "they came from studio direction". So either the Mad Doctors or EA.

Nice. I had forgotten about his blog and never saw that tweet before.

Fascinating...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Befuddled Halfling said:
In one tweet he told people to stop blaming Laidlaw, because the decisions about DA2 were simply not his "they came from studio direction". So either the Mad Doctors or EA.

That doesn't mean much. Yes, the higher-ups lay down the direction in broad outlines, of course they do. They also limited the development cycle too much. All is out of Laidlaw's hands. But it's a bit naive to assume that after Tudge and Knowles left that they would then hand the lead to someone who doesn't agree with their direction. In fact, it makes perfect sense to promote someone that does.

turul

Augur
Excuses, excuses! What's the usual life cycle of a gaming developer anyway? There are barely any survivors from the 90s. Not even from the early 00s!
We need fresh blood, fresh ideas, fresh team. less corruption, less lies and hate. I'm sorry for the old-good ones, and the rest who ruined themselves goodbye , go away, nice knowing you for a while don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

jancobblepot

Educated
Daemongar said:
Volourn said:
"by the gamer for the gamer".

Isn't this Interplay's motto not BIO's?

I'm sorry dudes. I've been playing BG1 (or trying to at least), and every single one of BIO's games since then is better. BG just doens't hold up.
I am pretty Bio's is "We created worlds"
:salute:

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
l3loodAngel said:
No not rly. They just reduced the time frame. Origins took how much to make? 5 years. Now DA2 took much less to make, because yeah EA was greedy, but still Bioware provided all the talent for production. I am not even talking about the system that encourages you to be consistent :lol: . The depth of quests, the story and etc...

The way Knowles left Dragon Age was uniquely similar to the way Mike Wang left NBA Live. One of the NBA ELITE devs admitted why they changed the game so much from Live 2010 which was on the best NBA Live games in recent years. They were sweating the decrease in sells. Granted they did a lot to drive down sells but like Gaider's 4chan rants it never had anything to do with the quality of the game.

So even if you were a fan of Origins EA was planning to fuck you and if you thought Origins was a piece of shit they certainly weren't going to fix anything.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Daemongar said:
Andyman Messiah said:
But there aren't any parallels to be drawn between the two. Origin was an amazing company. BioWare is not and will never be at the same level.
They both started out with a strong leader, produced some good stuff early on, were bought by EA, produced shit by their own choices or a stronger focus on marketing. There are more parallels than a lot of RPG developers contrasted.
I disagree with everything. But to make a long post short, I decided to scrap my 1-2-3-4-5 answers where among other things I protest loudly that you can ever compare Richard Garriott, Chris Roberts, Warren Spector or anyone else at Origin with the likes of Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk.

To me, the major difference is this: Origin actually created their own stuff. With BioWare you have a company that started out with a shitty mechwarrior type game but had a strong publisher backing them. Interplay said to them "this is DnD, make a game" and make a game they did. And after DnD they were handed the Star Wars license. Here's the difference: Origin created worlds, BioWare was handed existing lucrative properties. I think it's a big difference.

The rest of your post however I can agree with, with the exception that I don't like BioWare. I will clap my hands loudly when EA decides to close them down. No loss.

edit:
Twinkle said:
Bioware's is more like "And We Turn Them Into Generic Shit"

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sceptic said:
MetalCraze said:
PS:T forced you to play as a fighter for, what, 7 or 8 levels (1/3 of a game)?
Oh skyway, please never change :love:

You start at level 3. I was Fighter level 6 when I switched to Mage. On my first run. Not using a waklthrough or any kind of hints. Ended the game with my level in the 20's. You do the math.

Let me know if you end up dividing by zero :smug:

It was 7 or 8 for me. Forgot about starting level.

Still it was only one of the bad design choices of PS:T when it comes to combat.

They should've went full adventure game.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Mass Effect 3 pushed till 2012. I'm dissapointed. :( I wanted a similar derpfest like DA2. It was way more fun than actually playing any Bioware games.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Andyman Messiah said:
I disagree with everything. But to make a long post short, I decided to scrap my 1-2-3-4-5 answers where among other things I protest loudly that you can ever compare Richard Garriott, Chris Roberts, Warren Spector or anyone else at Origin with the likes of Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk."
Yeah, ok. Origin produced legends while Origin.. not so much. It's easy to take for granted the creativity that came out of Origin, though. I do know that Bioware started off with good intentions from a lot of what Dr. Ray used to post on CSIPGRpg, but I think it all started to end when they started ramming that "Jade Empire" down everyone's throats.

empi

Augur
I don't think skyway can all other people's maths retarded after

No you must fucking read it from the right to the left
And then probably from the middle to the bottom

2+2-4 = 4, right?

Fucking dumb newfags

Shit no wonder many of you suffer from the lack of reading comprehension in threads that require more intelligence than doing basic math. You are probably reading posts in random patterns. That explains everything.

Anyway, i have a brain teaser for you. If someone plays kotor 7 times, how many times more retarded are they than someone who completes it 0 times?

MetalCraze

Arcane
empi said:
I don't think skyway can all other people's maths retarded after

No you must fucking read it from the right to the left
And then probably from the middle to the bottom

2+2-4 = 4, right?

Fucking dumb newfags

Shit no wonder many of you suffer from the lack of reading comprehension in threads that require more intelligence than doing basic math. You are probably reading posts in random patterns. That explains everything.

Anyway, i have a brain teaser for you. If someone plays kotor 7 times, how many times more retarded are they than someone who completes it 0 times?

Looks like we caught another retard who can't even read. And with a 2010 reg date no less. How unsurprising.

I mean that was such a primitive excuse for a sarcasm and you still took it seriously? For fuck's sake you 2010 cretins are dumb.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm usually one of the first to call skyway an idiot, but his sig makes perfect sense in the context of the thread that spawned it, which mainly came down to an argument about order of operations. You could read 2/2*0 as (2/2)*0 or 2/(2*0).

Jigawatt

Arcane
Xor said:
I'm usually one of the first to call skyway an idiot, but his sig makes perfect sense

MetalCraze said:
Half of the Codex believes that you can't divide by zero... Are you just as retarded?

He could've chosen any number except zero to make the point - any other number. And boy are there a lot of them. No way you could fluke being that stupid

RPGMaster

Savant
Ray Mucas-yka reminds me of the Wachowski brother that is now a Wachowski sister.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Daemongar said:
I do know that Bioware started off with good intentions from a lot of what Dr. Ray used to post on CSIPGRpg
And Daikatana started off with good intentions from a lot of what John Romero used to say about emphasizing design.

Look at how that turned out.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Daemongar said:
I do know that Bioware started off with good intentions from a lot of what Dr. Ray used to post on CSIPGRpg
And Daikatana started off with good intentions from a lot of what John Romero used to say about emphasizing design.

Look at how that turned out.
I never even finished the cover CD copy I had.

Mind you that I did finish Unreal 2.

:what:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom