Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light

Ash

Arcane
^Not played Nightmare mode myself yet, but hard mode is good.

The game is also dumbfuck annoying at placing bombers in interriors.

I'll second that. Sometimes the placement is fine though and I'd put the death solely down to player skill, but a lot of the time it's pure bullshit and they look far too similar to other zombie types to trigger a reaction or even distinguish them to begin with, especially in crowds. The bombers in the previous games were very distinct and made a loud alert screech too if I recall, so it was fine there.

It would be interesting if Nightmare mode forced you to survive the night/disabled sleeping. And punny too.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
Nightmare Mode only makes you lose Legendary Points. Like all of them but it is not a big deal since you can farm DROPs in quarantine zones and turn them into Quartermaster for big profits once you max out Survival Skill tree.

The thing with Bombers is that they literally jump at you when you open a door. In Dark Souls only Mimics are fuckheads like that but you learn to hit every chest after that, also when you get killed by enemy that lured you into a trap you will learn to walk into empty room with your shield raised and to carefully observe your surroundings. It's a shame Dying Light doesn't utilize those sort of mechanics like bolters inside buildings or human NPCs that can lead you into some nasty ambush.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Want to be like that another Polish developer: https://www.pcgamesn.com/dying-light/dying-light-dlc-free-2017-2018-e3

Dying Light is getting 12 months of free DLC and a community collaboration platform

Update June 15, 2017: Techland have now officially previewed their DLC plans for the next year, with the trailer above for Content Drop #0 as they call it.

As we mentioned during the week, the first DLC will focus on adding new enemies. Future DLC will include "new locations, story-driven quests, gameplay mechanics, weapons, enemies, and more."

It will all be free, and will come alongside "gameplay improvements and balance tweaks" and community events. They're planning to do four of these per quarter and are launching a "dedicated community platform" for fans to influence the content that's on the way. In essence, it sounds like Amplitudes Game2Gether platform, but for zombie-killing addons rather than deep strategy games.

"As we firmly believe in active collaboration between the design team and players," says Paweł Marchewka, Techland CEO, "we hope this announcement will encourage our fans to share their thoughts, stories, and ideas about how we can improve their experience even more."

It's a good time to be a Dying Light fan. There's a lot of them too - half a million people still play the game every week, according to Techland's figures. What could this year of free content possibly be building to, hmm?

Original story June 14, 2017: At an event during E3 2017, Techland have announced that Dying Light will be getting ten new pieces of free DLC in the next 12 months. Some will even include extra story content, and the first will be "available soon" adding new enemies to fight against.

To know what to expect, it’s probably worth taking a look at The Following, the Dying Light expansion that came out more than a year ago. In that, Techland shifted the focus from parkour to vehicular action, plonking a dune buggy down in its open-world. Running the undead over proved popular, so it’s likely the developers are looking to expand their roster of vehicles in upcoming DLC.

The Following also added a new cult-addled area to the game, so expect extra segments of map to come out of this plan. You’ll have more info when we do.

Ash

Arcane
Pleasantly surprised. Again.

What's their angle here though? Extensive support for a game released in 2015? What's the business logic here?I wish more devs did this and it does earn them more goodwill, it's just unusual.

I never did get the pre-existing DLC as the game's highlight was the excellent parkour. Why toss it to the wayside in favor of boring driving that thousands of games have done and probably done better? I just wasn't impressed with the base game that much to place blind trust in the concept. Nonetheless, I do recommend the game if you like platformers/actioners that aren't shit, very difficult thing to find in modern games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Also Techland launched their own digital store named Gemly: https://gemly.com/

http://www.pcgamer.com/dying-light-developer-techland-unveils-gemly-digital-distribution-platform/

Gemly, then, is a new and bespoke digital distribution platform that sells both "exclusive content" for Techland's own games, as well as those from third party publishers. Further down the line, online store will also provide a community hub for fans of Techland's games.

"We have created Gemly as part of our wish to be closer to our fans and unite the whole Techland community in one place," so says Techland's CEO Paweł Marchewka in a statement. "At the same time, we want to keep our fans engaged and entertained—with Dying Light’s Content Drop #0 we’re paving the way for incredible experiences, offering new challenges and mysteries for our fans."

Currently it's just another Steam key seller. Current third-party partners are SEGA, Warner Bros., Harebrained, and notably CD Project which seems providing GOG keys of their games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why does everyone have to have their own platform? And why do they keep pumping out DLC for this mediocre game? They cancelled their game 'Hellraid' for this stuff?

v1rus

Arcane
Final verdict on this game? To play or to nay?

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Morning gents. To elaborate from last night's post before I went to hit the sack, here's a breakdown of what I liked and didn't like:

+ Smooth parkour gameplay. You can climb up or leap over almost anything. Almost. Also, the game does a good job of emulating vertigo.
+ Game can be emergent at times. You can convince zombies and enemy humans to fight one another. This can make some seemingly tough situations easily bypassable, which is really cool.
+ Night runs are intense, even at higher levels with the grappling hook (if you crank up the difficulty).
+ Some missions have multiple pathways, which is really nice.
+ Good mix of zombies, from slow to running to tanky.

- Some missions are so heavily scripted that they feel out of place. I'm talking about cowadoody level of scripted. It's ridiculous.
- Invisible fucking walls ruin muh immersion. They're more common in the first town and ruin the illusion of being able to free-run everywhere.
- I talked about the emergent nature of the game above, but sometimes it's shown to be executed haphazardly. The AI always tries to target you first; it doesn't fare well when it comes to turning against itself, and has to be 'coaxed'.

Things I'm neutral about:
= Levelling system. It's BSB and serves to artificially (rather than organically) gate players. However, it does make you feel increasingly more competent, so there's that. Also, after you max out your standard perk tree, you unlock Legendary levels which is a pretty bollocks system.
= Combat feels meaty, but weapons break and (IMO) I rarely feel encouraged to fight with melee weapons. Instead I frequently turn to ranged weapons (since they don't wear out) and manoeuvres like grapples and drop kicks.

v1rus

Arcane
Morning gents. To elaborate from last night's post before I went to hit the sack, here's a breakdown of what I liked and didn't like:

+ Smooth parkour gameplay. You can climb up or leap over almost anything. Almost. Also, the game does a good job of emulating vertigo.
+ Game can be emergent at times. You can convince zombies and enemy humans to fight one another. This can make some seemingly tough situations easily bypassable, which is really cool.
+ Night runs are intense, even at higher levels with the grappling hook (if you crank up the difficulty).
+ Some missions have multiple pathways, which is really nice.
+ Good mix of zombies, from slow to running to tanky.

- Some missions are so heavily scripted that they feel out of place. I'm talking about cowadoody level of scripted. It's ridiculous.
- Invisible fucking walls ruin muh immersion. They're more common in the first town and ruin the illusion of being able to free-run everywhere.
- I talked about the emergent nature of the game above, but sometimes it's shown to be executed haphazardly. The AI always tries to target you first; it doesn't fare well when it comes to turning against itself, and has to be 'coaxed'.

Things I'm neutral about:
= Levelling system. It's BSB and serves to artificially (rather than organically) gate players. However, it does make you feel increasingly more competent, so there's that. Also, after you max out your standard perk tree, you unlock Legendary levels which is a pretty bollocks system.
= Combat feels meaty, but weapons break and (IMO) I rarely feel encouraged to fight with melee weapons. Instead I frequently turn to ranged weapons (since they don't wear out) and manoeuvres like grapples and drop kicks.

Plot any good?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Not really. It borders on nonsensical. It also lacks NPCs that you can empathise with.

Ash

Arcane
Strictly a gameplayfag game, and even at that it's not amazing. Still a nice surprise for a modern AAA though, which almost universally have shit gameplay.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Welcome to the post-PUBG world, a battle royale multiplayer expansion is coming!: http://steamcommunity.com/games/239140/announcements/detail/1474230749525744409

Register for the Dying Light: Bad Blood Global Playtest

88687fe50f84ca92501bc4b89e63354c06fd81c4.jpg

Dying Light: Bad Blood is a new standalone multiplayer expansion for Dying Light, coming next year.

In a city infested by zombies, you and five others wake up with no memory of how you got there. Your only means of escape is to appease your kidnappers by harvesting blood samples from the infected.

Will you ally with the other survivors or prey on them to secure your own safety? Anything goes as long as it gets you out of the zone.

Form dynamic alliances with other players to take on formidable zombie bosses - and then you turn on your allies to steal their blood samples. In a cruel set-up where everyone fights for the survival of the few, betrayal is not a question of “if”, but “when”.

Register now [dyinglightgame.com] for a chance to take part in a playtest on Steam.

https://dyinglightgame.com/badblood/

Falksi

Arcane
I've been playing a few hours now and think it's a very mixed bag, in fact I'm close to quitting.

The music and atmosphere is fucking lush. There's a few Terminator moments in there, and a real 80's feeling of isolated desperation coming from it.

But the game itself? Does it get much better?

Killing zombies - whilst satisfying - feels pointless coz just more turn up. Avoiding them is super easy and makes it boring. And I've also just bought some dude choccy's & a video to watch, now have to trek miles just to get into his house via the roof - so I really don't want to continue playing if all missions are designed that retardedly.

Worth continuing?

I've been playing a few hours now and think it's a very mixed bag, in fact I'm close to quitting.

The music and atmosphere is fucking lush. There's a few Terminator moments in there, and a real 80's feeling of isolated desperation coming from it.

But the game itself? Does it get much better?

Killing zombies - whilst satisfying - feels pointless coz just more turn up. Avoiding them is super easy and makes it boring. And I've also just bought some dude choccy's & a video to watch, now have to trek miles just to get into his house via the roof - so I really don't want to continue playing if all missions are designed that retardedly.

Worth continuing?
If you like what's there and are hoping it gets tougher later on, then it's great - if not exactly high art. Stick with it. The combat is great (if, as always, unbalanced by some late game moves you can unlock), the parkour is fun, and I felt like the game was constantly throwing new things at me to keep me both interested and surprisingly challenged. Some of the extra zombie types they add over the course of the game make things really tough, and I'd strongly recommend playing on as high of a difficulty as you feel comfortable. It's most entertaining when the hordes are still frightening (something I think the game actually maintains very well over the course of the game as no amount of upgrading will ever turn the player into a tank).

That being said, if it's not holding your attention now, the mid-to-late game difficulty increases and gameplay additions won't likely keep you around. I think a good example of this is the final boss of the base game, which is little more than an extended parkour sequence leading into a QTE. Thing is, it's a reasonably challenging sequence, requiring both speed and precision to get away from all of the insanity they start throwing at you. If you're expecting an epic final confrontation, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you enjoy the game for what it is, then it's well worth playing to see the end. I dunno if that makes a ton of sense, but there's my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I normally hate games that use the GTA paradigm, but I thought Dying Light was actually decent. The game oozes atmosphere, and the city was fun to explore.

It kind of fell apart near the end, but by that time I had already gotten around 40 hours out of it.

Falksi

Arcane
have decided to quit it. whilst it's stupendously atmospheric, and does a lot of things very well, the mission structure and repetitive gameplay have just killed it for me.

Doing the same thing over & over is just dull, and you know exactly what every mission is gonna involve regardless of the plot behind it.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Got this on sale, p. fun game. Starting on hard was a good decision - took me a while to get to a level where I feel confident in my survival. Looting's getting tedious though, wish there was some kind of auto-loot when out of combat.

Ash

Arcane

Possibly retarded. This modern game actually demanded that you think, and you failed.

what you had to do was parkour about on the underside of the highway above the house. took me a little while to figure it out, but if you're observant the solution is within plain sight and takes 2 minutes.

have decided to quit it. whilst it's stupendously atmospheric, and does a lot of things very well, the mission structure and repetitive gameplay have just killed it for me.

Doing the same thing over & over is just dull, and you know exactly what every mission is gonna involve regardless of the plot behind it.

Surely retarded. This is one of the best AAA games of the past decade when it comes to gameplay. Sure that's not hard to accomplish, but it's a cut above the rest regardless. How are the whiners not enjoying the fuck out of the parkour system? It's the best thing to happen to platforming gameplay since...Super Mario Bros? Tomb Raider?

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane

Possibly retarded. This modern game actually demanded that you think, and you failed.

what you had to do was parkour about on the underside of the highway above the house. took me a little while to figure it out, but if you're observant the solution is within plain sight and takes 2 minutes.

Surely retarded. This is one of the best AAA games of the past decade when it comes to gameplay. Sure that's not hard to accomplish, but it's a cut above the rest regardless.

I did that and it took too long fucking about, and was still totally pointless and boring.

It's just boring. Same shit over & over. Saying it's "one of the best AAA games" is like the doc saying "it's the nicest case of AIDS I've ever seen"

Fuck this game, fuck it right in it's shitty, dumb as fuck ass.

Deathsquid

Learned

Surely retarded. This is one of the best AAA games of the past decade when it comes to gameplay. Sure that's not hard to accomplish, but it's a cut above the rest regardless. How are the whiners not enjoying the fuck out of the parkour system? It's the best thing to happen to platforming gameplay since...Super Mario Bros? Tomb Raider?
Saw it on major sale and got it since you praise it so much. Gonna check it out once I get more free time.

Ash

Arcane
I only praise it in the context of a modern AAA game. Bear in mind it's still compromised a little. Yet compared to the Tomb Raider 2013s, the Shadow of Mordors, the Assassins Creeds, the Gears of Wars, and so on and on, yeah, it's pretty awesome.

udm

Arcane
Patron
If only there weren't invisible walls though :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom