Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light

Luzur

Good Sir
I watched a Twitch video of this. Can someone explain to me what the point is of a crafting meter when you are in a pause window? What's the point of crafting taking up time if you are completely safe from attack i.e. time isn't a resource or a balance of risk-reward to be managed like in Cataclysm and Zomboid? And it looks like there is a lockpicking mini game that you can fail at and lose lockpicks. Is there a character skill in the game for that? Can you be attacked while lockpicking? I mean, it looks like mixtape game where they've assembled features from other popular games because those games are popular, rather than design holistically for what is best for their foundation concept. That doesn't necessarily make a bad game, I'm just wondering.

Btw, did you notice how "accidently" similar to Skyrim lockpicking that lockpicking actually was?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sort of getting stronger weapons now but even normal guys still take 3-4 hits.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
I watched a Twitch video of this. Can someone explain to me what the point is of a crafting meter when you are in a pause window? What's the point of crafting taking up time if you are completely safe from attack i.e. time isn't a resource or a balance of risk-reward to be managed like in Cataclysm and Zomboid?.
in multiplayer time doesn't stand still in menus. unless both of you are in it, so i guess it's simply there to annoy the fuck out of you. you might have noticed the developers are incompetent.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Speaking of which I've still yet to get the Be The Zombie mode to work. Also, more hours into the game and combat is still kind of crap/tedious. Parkour is 90% of the gameplay.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

All of that aside, I don't regret buying this for $10. Anyone who paid $40+ got ripped off.

Raapys

Arcane
Those post processing effects every time you're in water/get blood on you/become out of breath/low on stamina... Gods, it's like they deliberately tried to make it as annoying to play as possible.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's not terrible. An okay time waster while I wait for Serpent of the Staglands and a few other games.

What I don't understand is broken weapons. Are we supposed to just chuck them away once we run out of repair kits? I've got about 5 modified weapons in my inventory that I can't use.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Those post processing effects every time you're in water/get blood on you/become out of breath/low on stamina... Gods, it's like they deliberately tried to make it as annoying to play as possible.

The water thing is just deliberately moronic. It's another one of those features put in because "hey look at what we can do!!!"

The first thing anyone does when they come up from under water is wipe their eyes so that they can see. There's no logical reason why the protag can't do it. Hopefully a mod will remove it soon.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, you just discard weapons once they run out of repair 'uses.' Itemization here is worse than Dead Island, so far I've only found two special weapon blueprints and normal weapons are pretty terrible.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
An action game loses me the moment I have to stop, access inventory, and make my own medpaks or bags or whatnot.

Too bad Left 4 Dead 2 is full of broken script-kiddie servers, or I'd still be playing that one.

Machocruz

Arcane
Btw, did you notice how "accidently" similar to Skyrim lockpicking that lockpicking actually was?

Yeah, that's why I call it a mixtape game. Parkour, lockpicking mini-game, crafting, menu and icon style similar to other recent games. I was curious whether the elements worked in concert with each other, regardless. Most games are derivative to the extreme anyway.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I watched a Twitch video of this. Can someone explain to me what the point is of a crafting meter when you are in a pause window? What's the point of crafting taking up time if you are completely safe from attack i.e. time isn't a resource or a balance of risk-reward to be managed like in Cataclysm and Zomboid? And it looks like there is a lockpicking mini game that you can fail at and lose lockpicks. Is there a character skill in the game for that? Can you be attacked while lockpicking? I mean, it looks like mixtape game where they've assembled features from other popular games because those games are popular, rather than design holistically for what is best for their foundation concept. That doesn't necessarily make a bad game, I'm just wondering.

You can be attacked while lockpicking but not while crafting something. There is no character skill for that, basically you can pick heavy locks from the beginning - you just need patience.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Yeah, that's why I call it a mixtape game. Parkour, lockpicking mini-game, crafting, menu and icon style similar to other recent games. I was curious whether the elements worked in concert with each other, regardless. Most games are derivative to the extreme anyway.

You assessment is correct. It's a combination of Dead Island, Mirror's Edge, Far Cry and probably something else.

I'm around 60% mark in the game and to be honest: there is a lot of content. Unfortunately the content is not great but is not retarded either.

If you stomach some mediocrity, it's really a good diversion. The sprawling city is quite nice.

Luzur

Good Sir
It's not terrible. An okay time waster while I wait for Serpent of the Staglands and a few other games.

What I don't understand is broken weapons. Are we supposed to just chuck them away once we run out of repair kits? I've got about 5 modified weapons in my inventory that I can't use.

thats also a thing i hate in these kind of games, melee stuuf like a steel pipe is still a steel pipe and should last way longer then a horde of zombies, not break down after 5-6 hits or have levels.

Steel pipes should be the last resort thing when your ammo is out or a sneaky fast-take down weaponry.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

thats also a thing i hate in these kind of games, melee stuuf like a steel pipe is still a steel pipe and should last way longer then a horde of zombies, not break down after 5-6 hits or have levels.

Steel pipes should be the last resort thing when your ammo is out or a sneaky fast-take down weaponry.

Only melee weapons have durability. Guns don't degrade.

Luzur

Good Sir

Still derp, i have a hollow steel pipe in my garage that must be around 30-40 years old by now, and its rusted and bruised and been used for a long time to bend, lift and hammer shit with during car repairs and i could prob use it for for another 30 years to club zombies/raiders/looters with it if the apocalypse comes around.

So a steel pipe should be a unlimited wepaon you have in your inventory for melee, instead make ammo for those coolio guns sparse if you want some difficulty in these type of games, or take out guns totally and force the player to build his own junk weaponry from sawblades and whatnot but still keep that trusty ol' steel pipe in the slot a knife would be in COD (for example).

Old Hans

Arcane
this game rules so hard. It would be even better if they added an iron man mode

Bruticis

Still derp, i have a hollow steel pipe in my garage that must be around 30-40 years old by now, and its rusted and bruised and been used for a long time to bend, lift and hammer shit with during car repairs and i could prob use it for for another 30 years to club zombies/raiders/looters with it if the apocalypse comes around.

So a steel pipe should be a unlimited wepaon you have in your inventory for melee, instead make ammo for those coolio guns sparse if you want some difficulty in these type of games, or take out guns totally and force the player to build his own junk weaponry from sawblades and whatnot but still keep that trusty ol' steel pipe in the slot a knife would be in COD (for example).
Zombies monster hoards are completely believable and realistic but a steel pipe breaking is not? Okie dokie.

Luzur

Good Sir

Zombies monster hoards are completely believable and realistic but a steel pipe breaking is not? Okie dokie.

More overlookable then steel breaking after 5 hits, yes.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

It even steals the malaria feature from FC2. Jesus christ. At least you don't have to go get meds for it, but you do randomly have seizures.

Machocruz

Arcane
Got to play a bit of this on my friend's PS4. From what I played, the game could be called fun, if that is all a person is looking for, and that is all most people are looking for. But the copypasta is strong in this one; from a design standpoint it's a lazy game. Having your lockpick break doesn't really add anything to a game without character classes, imo. The fact that you can be attacked while in the process is enough risk/reward for this kind of game. I'm not a fan of weapon breakage in action games, but at least here the parkour gives you more interesting evasion alternatives than Dead Island. Speaking of which, that game was super lame, but I'm a fan of agile locomotion in games, so DL is a step up. And the traversal is fully under the player's control, unlike AssCreek. Feels good to actually have to account for spacing and timing, and try and find ways around that maybe the developer didn't intend,"platforms" that aren't obvious, etc; reminds me of Metroid Prime sequence breaking.

Combat: Seems like these guys are trying to be Arkane Studios. It's just ok, needs more physics based approaches

Is it just me, or are there a lot of Russians in games these days?

I was in the mood for some slick looking, AAA popamole, and it sort of delivers (keep in mind I've been playing nothing but old classics, indies, and last gen games for the past year). Not something I would pay $60 for, and I predict we're going to see a lot of used copies sitting on game store shelves before the end of February. Seems like the very definition of a rental game as it's fun for dicking around but lacks substance and style. I wonder what a more adventurous and imaginative development team could do with this foundation, without going into whacky Sunset Overdrive territory.

Tehdagah

Arcane
(...)
Feels good to actually have to account for spacing and timing, and try and find ways around that maybe the developer didn't intend,"platforms" that aren't obvious, etc; reminds me of Metroid Prime sequence breaking.
(...)
Glitching games is lame (at least in the first playtrought). Pretty much a spit in the face of the gameplay mechanics.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's shallow fun, not horrible (aside from the optimization and post processing) but it could have been a lot better. I'm only about six or so hours in although I get the impression the story is going to be linear. Shame they didn't set it up so you could join one of the factions and help one while you double-cross the others. Not holding out much hope for Hellraid given the way they've handle itemization in their prior games. 'Cool, I found a rare longsword... oh shit it broken after killing ten monsters.'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom