Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Is this another useless random loot collector or are there actual reasons for exploration? Have the devs said anything about level scaling or hand-placed loot?
...I've got fever so I'm derpish and prone to high expectations :smug:

Also those specs :lol:

Certain recipes are placed in certain places. But the rest of the loot I think is generated. The game supports co-op which requires generated loot therefore this "feature" is in.

Night time means that all zombies become more dangerous (this is one example of level scaling). However the videos show that you can be pretty badass after leveling therefore maybe they balanced this shit.

Anyway, it seems there is not information on these subjects from Techland. Which is not good at all. In my opinion it means that the games might be a little similar to Borderlands in this regard.

We'll see in 2 days.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Uh... it'll be similar to Dead Island because it's the same game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Uh... it'll be similar to Dead Island because it's the same game.

You are probably correct but I did not play Dead Island.

Some interesting bits of info:

Dying Light was originally Dead Island 2 developed by Techland and published by Deep Silver but now:

Dying Light is made by Techland and it's published by Warner Bros.

Dead Island 2 is made by Yager and it's published by Deep Silver.

Anyway, the overall opinion is that Dying Light is more polished and probably the better game.

Old Hans

Arcane
game looks pretty nice, although from what I've watched the city kind of seems sparse on zombies. I was kind of hoping for something like "don't leave the rooftops unless you're totally insane"

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Dying Light contains a dynamic day and night cycle. During the day, the player has to go out and scavenge for supplies to send back to the safe zones. They can also set up traps, save random survivors, and make their way to airdrops. The infected are slow, apathetic, and easily visible, allowing the player to simply make their way past them, but their danger grows in numbers. The game will also feature a dynamic weather system, which will include a variety of conditions such as fog, rain, and wind.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Forbes is butthurt about the reviews embargo. [link]

'Dying Light' Promises No Review Embargoes, Delivers No Review Copies [Updated]
[Update: Reports are coming in that review codes have now been issued to many members of the press. That leaves ~12 hours or so for reviewers to form opinions before launch, meaning that coverage either has to be first impressions pieces that will likely duplicate discussion of preview builds, or full reviews that have to be written over the next few days/week. Either way, giving out review codes a half-day ahead of launch is not much better than a launch day embargo, if not worse. At least with the latter, the press probably has time to play the full game, meaning a complete review can go up on launch day. That isn't the case here.]

Original article is below:

It’s been a little while since we had a dust-up over review policy in the video game world, not since Assassin’s Creed Unity didn’t let journalists share their opinions of the game until 12 hours after it had been released this fall. This was particularly problematic given the broken state in which the game had gone to market, and served as a cautionary tale as to why ahead-of-launch review embargoes are a consumer-friendly practice.

Today, we’re dealing with Dying Light, a new zombie survival game (is there any other kind?) from Dead Island developer Techland. When in December, lead designer Maciej Binkowski was asked if they would demand this same kind of “launch day” review embargo.

“No, we do not have embargoes of that nature. We want to be as transparent as we can towards our fans, so don’t worry – there won’t be any review embargoes before the game is released.”

No review embargoes at all seemed to be the ultimate form of transparency. It implies the press could get their review copies and share their thoughts at their leisure, right?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lol @ review copies. Scam by any retard with a blog that has 100 hits to get a free copy of a game.

Astral Rag

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239140/discussions/0/613948093894984241/

I have a 8350 16gis ram and gtx 980. Im getting anywhere from 25-60 fps. Tutorial was a solid 60

AMD FX 8350 4GHz
GTX 780
Samsung SSD 840 PRO
12GB RAM
Windows 8.1 x64

Everything on LOW and OFF, textures Medium. I'm getting 17-30 FPS Outdoors. The first indoor tutorial scene I'm getting solid 60FPS

GTX 780ti OC
AMD FX8350 4.0GHz
8GB ram
Crosshair V Formula-Z

60+ FPS in the tutorial.
7fps outside the tutorial.

:thumbsup:

At least noclip isn't enabled by default this time.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
I would love to report on the performance of this game on my PC, but I should have known better. This game still has the same issues as Dead Island and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. If your keyboard is set to any language different from your OS, all the text in the menus disappear:

wPAGYIe.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149335001&postcount=100

:lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Another turd from Techland. Dead Island required a third party mod to clean up shitty visual and performance issues. I imagine this will be the same. Lol @ the developers on the forums trying to troubleshoot people running this on 970 cards. I think I found the problem: you're shit at optimization.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There's glitch in gamestop.com, ordering Seasion Pass for $20 give you full game. Sauce.

"Never pay more than $20 for a game". Now it happened and peope went apeshit.
From what I see it's only for PS4.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Another turd from Techland. Dead Island required a third party mod to clean up shitty visual and performance issues. I imagine this will be the same. Lol @ the developers on the forums trying to troubleshoot people running this on 970 cards. I think I found the problem: you're shit at optimization.

Don't worry. The fanboys will show up soon enough to make the Steam forums insufferable again.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So far the reviews are positive

I was able to get my hand on a copy of this game about 19 hours ago, and I have been playing it a good deal. Although I am not 100% through the game I am at the point where I have seen all it has to offer- so here is my review

Gameplay- It plays much like a cleaner, better looking, more fluid, and more fun dead island. It feels like dead island with a larger budget. Running up walls to escape a horde, finding safety as night approaches, using upgraded abilities to kill more zombies with greater zest- it all works and works well. In terms of game play it was everything that dead island was supposed to be. My only complaints are breaking weapons, old school health bars, and stamina meters. I think these things restrict you, but it still works out. [9/10]

Graphics/sound- The sound is effective at creating a serious atmosphere- when a zombie is right on top of you, you hear it. When a horde is approaching- you hear it. It is all done well enough to keep you engaged though it is not really stand out to me. The graphics are nice, clean textures- great environments, and good character models really sell the experience. Expect some frame rate issues when game play picks up- and also I experienced a crash time to time. However there were no broken quests. In a game this size you have to expect a few bugs right? [8.5/10]

Story- This is the underwhelming portion. The story is far more serious than that of dead island. No dark humor, no super cheesy characters (well not as cheesy). You find yourself helping the few survivors in the city with fetch quests and the typical point A to point B. There are a couple surprises- and a passable story to match. None of it is bad, but none of it is great. It is clear the time was put into the gameplay. On the plus side the game is sizable. If you are a completion you could get 70 hours out of this game, though the average gamer can expect 30 to 40. [7.5/10]

In all this game is a great zombie experience. Fun gameplay, great graphics, and a very well done open world make this an adventure worth having, even if the story falls short... An 8.5 out of 10

Metacritic is also 8+

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dying-light/user-reviews

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Meh-tacritic. I watched some videos. It's Derp Island with a narrative. Will buy for $10 in a year or so.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I actualy finished call of juarez gunslinger, was good for what it was and one of the few normal fpses to come out in recent years, probably gonna be same thing with this and hellraid.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Considering it probably has a lower budget and they delayed it multiple times it'll probably be an even bigger disaster.

Machocruz

Arcane
10 out of 12 of those user reviews are viral marketers.

And what the hell are "old school health bars" and how is a health bar being "old school" a problem?

Serious atmosphere = when a zombie is close to you, YOU HEAR IT!!! :lol:

Much descriptive many informative wow

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From a steam review:

The only issues I have so far is the day/night cycle and the characters lip syncing and their mannerisms. The Day/Night cycle is AWFUL. I'm sorry Techland, but it is! You would think it is tied to a real-time day/night cycle...but it's not! It is cleverly marketed as a "Dynamic Day/Night Cycle," which is SOMEWHAT true. It is dynamic in the sense that the zombies get super aggressive at night compared to during the day, but the entire DAY/NIGHT cycle is tied to quests. It does not become night until the quest says so. Don't expect to stand around and it to turn night-time. Doesn't happen! It will be day-time forever as long as the quest dictates it will be. Severely disappointing and false advertising in my opinion.

Welp. This sounds pretty stupid and ruins the whole idea IMO.
From Reddit:
Just a heads up, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the day-night cycle isn't tied to quests (at least not for the entire game, I do think they script it at the start as it serves as a form of tutorial) only because I was watching the devs play the game and they stated as such. They were discussing how one of the big balancing acts is how long the days last vs the nights, and that when they had longer nights it was stressing players out too much for too long. They said they scaled it back so nighttime lasts something like 7 minutes which they said felt like the sweet spot for time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom