Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 6 left!)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DX:HR is going to be region locked

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Aug 17, 2011.

1. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Click here and disable ads!
    Since when do you trust anything you read on GameSpy. Fucking pigs will eat anything.
    ^ Top  
  2. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    MCA
    Hmm, they might be violating some EU rule if they're artificially preventing a product sold in one EU country from being used in another part of the Union.
    ^ Top  
  3. mikaelis Liturgist Patron

mikaelis
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Can anyone enlighten me please?

Say I bought the game in the UK and registered it there. However, after say, 2 years I am moving from UK to continent. Does that mean that I won't be able to install this particular version again? Or once it is activated the region protection is unlocked?
    ^ Top  
  4. Rohit_N Liturgist Patron

Rohit_N
    Project: Eternity
    A post on the Eidos forums says you can play the game anywhere after it is activated in the correct region.
    ^ Top  
  5. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    Ii would have bought for 29,99$£ on D2D uk, or on game.com but since its country locked and they want to fuck me upand force me to spend 44 euros aka 39£, ill spend maybe 5$ on a direct download service and will get it with complete anonymat. TPB is more risky here as i live in a dictatorship, france, with laws harsher than china .
    ^ Top  
  6. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Yeah, stealing should be allowed in a democracy!
    ^ Top  
  7. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    What about those numerous sites that provide you download links to megaupload, rapidshit, fileshare, filesonic...? Those are free to use, really fast and not as trackable as torrents.
    ^ Top  
  8. circ Arcane

circ
    Get a VPN. Let France try and do something about that.
    ^ Top  
  9. tarnished_brand Novice

tarnished_brand
    1.Complain about Deus Ex having SquareEnix as a publisher.
    2. Whine about DeusExHR like there's no tomorrow.
    3. Play the leaked build in awe: ITZ BETTER THAN FIRST ONE or ITZ THE BEST IN THE SERIES AFTER THE ORIGINAL
    4. Decide not to buy the game cause it has a retarded publisher, torrent it, after that play Dragon Age 2, FAllout 3 and/or Mass Effect. All of them being Collector's Editions.
    5.PROFIT!
    ^ Top  
  10. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    TPB is not an option as I always get shit download speeds. When SKIDROW or RAZOR1911 release something that has like 10000 peers/seeds, I always have 5kb/s speed.

Why?
    ^ Top  
  11. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Enforce protocol encryption on your torrent client. That's your ISP throttling you down.
    ^ Top  
  12. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    Thats true , but when using the non premium download its too slow for my tastes. Thats why i pay the 5-10$ fee.
    The vpn , yes it works, but again its too slow for my taste, its half the speed of a normal torrent usually. Id rather buy the game,i really have no patience.

Also i dont say stealing should be allowed, i am speaking about free market, nothing should prevent me to buy it in any european uinion country and unlock it in my country, their decision seems fairly illegal to me.
    Why shouldnt i be able to buy it 10£ less ? its not like if the standard of life in Uk was lower. Even better i should be able to buy polish version.
    ^ Top  
  13. Warlock Novice

Warlock
    Probably because there is at least equal amount of people downloading. Mostly it is a lot more. And if that is not the case, I think that maybe too many conections for your torrent client to handle? :? Happens to me too...
    ^ Top  
  14. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    I can download movies that just have 50/50 seeders with full speed, so it must be something different, no?
    ^ Top  
  15. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    Try rerouting the port bittorent use, through your firewal/router manually.
    ^ Top  
  16. Konjad Dwarf Patron

Konjad
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    It's your IP when your register Steam account that matters. You can just as well use proxy or ask someone from ie. Russia to make an account for you and from now on everything on Steam will be soviet.
    Satan Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  17. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Then don't buy at all, simple as that.
    You don't steal a car and justify it because it's cheaper in other countries.
    Would more people simply ignore games because of such shit (or the dumbing down) we would probably get better games.
    But by pirating them you still give them ideas about their games being in high demand.

Who knows, if we are lucky EU will indeed do something about region locking eventually.
    ^ Top  
  18. SoupNazi Prophet Patron

SoupNazi
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Wait, so you pay the companies leeching on distributing the work of others (and not just the assholes, no; they distribute the works of the nice guys the codex jerks off to like MCA too) and don't mind it, but apparently paying slightly more to the rightful owners of the content is unacceptable because what... they did something you regard as unlawful or amoral?

yeah man free market is great
    ^ Top  
  19. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    If the car is cheaper in another country its very common to buy it there, or buy it through a representative(not sure how it exactly translate) , Thats how we bought some BMW years ago.You should check , prices on cars are very differents even in european union countries.
    ^ Top  
  20. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    Unlawful , amoral , and illegal, and above all i cant stand being cheated.
    ^ Top  
  21. SoupNazi Prophet Patron

SoupNazi
    Serpent in the Staglands
    But you don't mind cheating others, I see. Well, it's a good thing you can't stand things that are unlawful and amoral and illegal! Not hypocritical at all bro.
    ^ Top  
  22. Warlock Novice

Warlock
    Yeah, sure... :roll: Like there aren't thousands of morons buying AWESOME games, and the gaming market is now a mass market with even the most retarded of people want to play something... Today's gaming industry is just a reflection of what the majority wants (and all about money...).
    ^ Top  
  23. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Oh, I know.
    I'm just saying that there's no point in trying to justify piracy by bringing up morals.
    ^ Top  
  24. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Okay, I use uTorrent and Comodo Firewall. How do I do this exactly?
    ^ Top  
  25. Mortmal Magister

Mortmal
    How do you connect to internet? wich box/router are you using ? I was thinking more of a configuration problem within a "physical" firewall. usually Upnp should allow bittorent port , but sometimes dont works, so i dlike to know the model of your router, thne youll have to do a little port forwarding. I dont think its comodo causing problem as you can just put bittorent in the trusted list once.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)