Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DX:HR is going to be region locked

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, they might be violating some EU rule if they're artificially preventing a product sold in one EU country from being used in another part of the Union.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Can anyone enlighten me please?

Say I bought the game in the UK and registered it there. However, after say, 2 years I am moving from UK to continent. Does that mean that I won't be able to install this particular version again? Or once it is activated the region protection is unlocked?

Mortmal

Arcane
Ii would have bought for 29,99$£ on D2D uk, or on game.com but since its country locked and they want to fuck me upand force me to spend 44 euros aka 39£, ill spend maybe 5$ on a direct download service and will get it with complete anonymat. TPB is more risky here as i live in a dictatorship, france, with laws harsher than china .

racofer

Thread Incliner
Mortmal said:
TPB is more risky here as i live in a dictatorship, france, with laws harsher than china .

What about those numerous sites that provide you download links to megaupload, rapidshit, fileshare, filesonic...? Those are free to use, really fast and not as trackable as torrents.

1.Complain about Deus Ex having SquareEnix as a publisher.
2. Whine about DeusExHR like there's no tomorrow.
3. Play the leaked build in awe: ITZ BETTER THAN FIRST ONE or ITZ THE BEST IN THE SERIES AFTER THE ORIGINAL
4. Decide not to buy the game cause it has a retarded publisher, torrent it, after that play Dragon Age 2, FAllout 3 and/or Mass Effect. All of them being Collector's Editions.
5.PROFIT!

Mortmal

Arcane
racofer said:
Mortmal said:
TPB is more risky here as i live in a dictatorship, france, with laws harsher than china .

What about those numerous sites that provide you download links to megaupload, rapidshit, fileshare, filesonic...? Those are free to use, really fast and not as trackable as torrents.

Thats true , but when using the non premium download its too slow for my tastes. Thats why i pay the 5-10$ fee.
The vpn , yes it works, but again its too slow for my taste, its half the speed of a normal torrent usually. Id rather buy the game,i really have no patience.

Also i dont say stealing should be allowed, i am speaking about free market, nothing should prevent me to buy it in any european uinion country and unlock it in my country, their decision seems fairly illegal to me.
Why shouldnt i be able to buy it 10£ less ? its not like if the standard of life in Uk was lower. Even better i should be able to buy polish version.

Warlock

Novice
Morgoth said:
TPB is not an option as I always get shit download speeds. When SKIDROW or RAZOR1911 release something that has like 10000 peers/seeds, I always have 5kb/s speed.

Why?

Probably because there is at least equal amount of people downloading. Mostly it is a lot more. And if that is not the case, I think that maybe too many conections for your torrent client to handle? :? Happens to me too...

Mortmal

Arcane
Morgoth said:
racofer said:
Enforce protocol encryption on your torrent client. That's your ISP throttling you down.
I can download movies that just have 50/50 seeders with full speed, so it must be something different, no?
Try rerouting the port bittorent use, through your firewal/router manually.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mikaelis said:
Can anyone enlighten me please?

Say I bought the game in the UK and registered it there. However, after say, 2 years I am moving from UK to continent. Does that mean that I won't be able to install this particular version again? Or once it is activated the region protection is unlocked?
It's your IP when your register Steam account that matters. You can just as well use proxy or ask someone from ie. Russia to make an account for you and from now on everything on Steam will be soviet.

Gord

Arcane
Then don't buy at all, simple as that.
You don't steal a car and justify it because it's cheaper in other countries.
Would more people simply ignore games because of such shit (or the dumbing down) we would probably get better games.
But by pirating them you still give them ideas about their games being in high demand.

Who knows, if we are lucky EU will indeed do something about region locking eventually.

SoupNazi

Mortmal said:
Thats true , but when using the non premium download its too slow for my tastes. Thats why i pay the 5-10$ fee.
The vpn , yes it works, but again its too slow for my taste, its half the speed of a normal torrent usually. Id rather buy the game,i really have no patience.

Also i dont say stealing should be allowed, i am speaking about free market, nothing should prevent me to buy it in any european uinion country and unlock it in my country, their decision seems fairly illegal to me.
Why shouldnt i be able to buy it 10£ less ? its not like if the standard of life in Uk was lower. Even better i should be able to buy polish version.
Wait, so you pay the companies leeching on distributing the work of others (and not just the assholes, no; they distribute the works of the nice guys the codex jerks off to like MCA too) and don't mind it, but apparently paying slightly more to the rightful owners of the content is unacceptable because what... they did something you regard as unlawful or amoral?

yeah man free market is great

Mortmal

Arcane
Gord said:
Would more people simply ignore games because of such shit (or the dumbing down) we would probably get better games.
But by pirating them you still give them ideas about their games being in high demand.

Who knows, if we are lucky EU will indeed do something about region locking eventually.

If the car is cheaper in another country its very common to buy it there, or buy it through a representative(not sure how it exactly translate) , Thats how we bought some BMW years ago.You should check , prices on cars are very differents even in european union countries.

Mortmal

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
Mortmal said:

Wait, so you pay the companies leeching on distributing the work of others (and not just the assholes, no; they distribute the works of the nice guys the codex jerks off to like MCA too) and don't mind it, but apparently paying slightly more to the rightful owners of the content is unacceptable because what... they did something you regard as unlawful or amoral?

yeah man free market is great
Unlawful , amoral , and illegal, and above all i cant stand being cheated.

SoupNazi

But you don't mind cheating others, I see. Well, it's a good thing you can't stand things that are unlawful and amoral and illegal! Not hypocritical at all bro.

Warlock

Novice
Gord said:

Yeah, sure... :roll: Like there aren't thousands of morons buying AWESOME games, and the gaming market is now a mass market with even the most retarded of people want to play something... Today's gaming industry is just a reflection of what the majority wants (and all about money...).

Gord

Arcane
Mortmal said:
You should check , prices on cars are very differents even in european union countries.

Oh, I know.
I'm just saying that there's no point in trying to justify piracy by bringing up morals.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Mortmal said:
Morgoth said:
racofer said:
Enforce protocol encryption on your torrent client. That's your ISP throttling you down.
I can download movies that just have 50/50 seeders with full speed, so it must be something different, no?

Okay, I use uTorrent and Comodo Firewall. How do I do this exactly?

Mortmal

Arcane
Morgoth said:
Mortmal said:
Morgoth said:
racofer said:

Okay, I use uTorrent and Comodo Firewall. How do I do this exactly?

How do you connect to internet? wich box/router are you using ? I was thinking more of a configuration problem within a "physical" firewall. usually Upnp should allow bittorent port , but sometimes dont works, so i dlike to know the model of your router, thne youll have to do a little port forwarding. I dont think its comodo causing problem as you can just put bittorent in the trusted list once.

MCA
What's wrong SoupNazi, is Codex too hardcore and impure for you? You could always try your luck with at the Watch, you know. Now that's a more lawful, moral and straight bunch. You would feel at home.

Or is it that you are hanging out here because like all girls, you just have a thing for assholes?

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom