Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress- full graphics release (updated 4 III)

Destroid

Arcane
Christ, the interface isn't that hard, all you have to do before you know the keys is look at the menus, which you would have to do anyway if you were using an icon based system with a mouse. Also, mouse is supported for some actions like designating mining, stockpiles etc. It seriously only takes about an hour before you have it down pretty well, a small investment for a awesomeness of this game.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Mayday said:
DarkUnderlord said:
I'd agree. If the original Dwarf Fortress didn't look like an incomprehensible mountain of shit, that is.
A vs B

OK. Any constructive crits then?
I'm saying I support and want to see graphical updates of Dwarf Fortress, not necessarily that Mayday's is totally awesome. Though seeing tables and chairs versus T's and plus signs or a barrel instead of a brown divide sign or a bed instead of a squiggly 8, without having to wonder what the fuck that all is again, is nice. ASCII graphics for something as involved as Dwarf Fortress were always a bad idea. The less layers of interpretation there are, the better.

elander_

Arbiter
hicksman said:
agreed, it really doesn't take long.

You can always hold out for this, http://spriteattack.cator.de//df/show/ although i'm sure it'll never materialize.

That's awesome. I would pay for a game like Dwarf Fortress with graphics like that, an interface with menus and dialog boxes and a decent players manual.

I don't why some people hate graphics so much to the point of forcing themselves and everyone else to play with ascii characters and use obscure keyboard combinations. It must be some sort of masochist fetish or something.

Au naturel

Scholar
I don't think the dev is trying to "Force" people to play with them, he just wants to create his game and isn't a graphics artist. His fanboys are the people who snap and snarl at all who dare to question the ASCII. Still, it is playable. I think most people who are whining about it probably didn't give it long enough for the ASCII to melt away. I does eventually once you are playing.

Nevertheless, all improvements make it easier to get in to for new players, as long as it isn't dumbed down.

elander_

Arbiter
Programming a simple graphical environment with a few clickable icons and menus isn't so complicated these days. There are tons of programming apis that automate this task and make it very easy. In fact it's probably harder to make a character interface from scratch than to use an already made game engine.

This game would be awesome with an interface like Populous:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/populous- ... creenshots

Mayday

Augur
Well, the bay12 guys are big fans of curses... so much that the curses system is hard coded in the game! (even though it's no longer used for the display). That's the other reason (besides focusing on the gameplay) for not adding more graphics- it would require a major overhaul of the game's code.

elander_

Arbiter
I haven't think of this before but does Curses support Unicode as well as ASCII? This way you would have as many different icons as you wished for without being limited to 256 of ASCII.

The lack of a complete game manual and the bad user interface without menus or mouse support bother me even more than the char graphics. I know some linux curses applications that have a great character based user interface and support mouse input and menus so maybe this isn't so hard to do after all.

Gambler

Augur
First, thanks for the graphical version. It looks mre comprehensible and yet retains the spirit of the original. Personally, I think that perspective of a game must fit it's level of visualization. For example, shitty animation infar-out isometric view is much more bearable than shitty animation in full 3d when camera can be brought close to the characters and rotated any way you want. I have no problem playing Fallout and Infinity-based games, but the awful synchronization of all the movement was really getting on my nerves in MotB.

Same thing goes for DF. ASCII is abstract. So are icons. But if you would have fully blown ISO render, the lack of animations and jerky movement would be bothersome. If you decided to do in full 3d, it would be downright ugly.

I too dislike DF interface, but it has nothing to do with the fact it's curses-based. The interface is just badly "wired" together. It's still better than learn-10000-keyboard-shortcuts interfaces, though.

IMO, what's missing is context-based menus. When you use k to examine tiles, it would be nice if you could do more than just dump and prohibit items, if the game could list all the appropriate options for the currently selected objects.

Oarfish

Prophet
Yeah, its a damn shame toady doesn't use one of the many nice OSS gaming UI toolkits so we could get third party UI mods. He is very protective of his baby though.

Moxwell

Novice
Awesome work. Im playing it at 1024 x 800, a little vertically stretched and still looks fantastic. It makes bragging about my fortress a little easier to explain when I can point to the tile graphics so n00bz can understand.

FYI 33g is now out, and fixes the bug where loading old save games from previous versions melts some of the ice. As a work around to import my old winter fotress into your build Im building floodgates and hoping that will work.

Much thanks and much appreciated and merry christmas to you!

Fez

Erudite
hicksman said:
agreed, it really doesn't take long.

You can always hold out for this, http://spriteattack.cator.de//df/show/ although i'm sure it'll never materialize.

If they actually managed to get it to all look like that then it wouldn't just be a well received free indie, it'd be a possible commercial hit.

Mayday

Augur
Moxwell said:
Awesome work. Im playing it at 1024 x 800!
Don't you mean 1280x800?

Anyway, I uploaded the next version, thanks for reminding me.

Zulgaines

Novice
Signed up to the site just to say thanks.

I'v tried to get into DF a couple times, the depth is amazing. But the graphics and interface always manage to drive me away, makes me feel like some kind of gamer sinner. :P

At least the graphics are easier to comprehend now.

neilsouth

Augur
Hmm i don't have any music in game or sound... There was some music during the first intro thing..

SGS

Novice
For some reason, this goes across my entire screen and then some, so I can't see the edges of the game. Can anyone help me fix that?

Mayday

Augur
Neil: yeah, this is the no music version (music is the only sound in the game and gets boring rather quickly, as it's the same track playing on and on). I believe you can just download it from the DF page if you want (or get the version with music and put the files here).

SGS: 16x80=1280. That means your vertical screen resolution needs to be at least 1280 to fit the whole game.

SGS

Novice
Oh, would there be any way to change that? My monitor doesn't fit 1280.

Zulgaines

Novice
Go to your DFG3 folder that you extracted from the Zip, open the Data folder, then open the init folder, then open the .txt file called init.txt.

Scroll down to the part that says this:

"Graphics info, most of it as above. Set GRAPHICS to YES to turn it all on. This will use the "raw/graphics" folder for tile information. Currently this is limited to whatever creature graphics you have downloaded. The game comes with a few pictures to demonstrate."

Right under that you'll see a list of resolutions for windowed and full screen mode for when graphics are on, they'll start right after the [GRAPHICS] line.

Set them to your desktop resolution.

To go into fullscreen mode press F11 in game, if you're wondering.

Gambler

Augur
Funny stuff. I created a sheriff for my settlement. Since I didn't want to waste any skilled dwarfs, I selected the most useless one. Now he demands a good office, weapon rack, armor rack and some other things. Bloody politicians.

What determined a quality of an office and what do I need to do so that guy recognizes an armor rack?

Oh, and what does a sheriff do?

Mayday

Augur
Ah, sadly, you're mistaking me for one of the two other Maydays on that forum. There's Mayday, Captain Mayday and Mike Mayday (me).
I only realized that some time after registering though. Never met anyone with this nickname before. To be honest, I was kinda disappointed.

Zulgaines

Novice
What is keeping you from being able to add more graphics? Hard coded things? I saw you mention curses, I'm guessing that's the font I see, and it explains why you made the O into a door.

Are you missing graphics for anything or can you just can't add anymore?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom