Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dustwind - real-time isometric tactics inspired by Fallout Tactics - now with single player campaign

likaq

Arcane
https://www.dustwind.com

01_dustwind_combat_screenshot_11.jpg

03_dustwind_map_editor_1.jpg

03_dustwind_character_creation_1.jpg

A realtime multiplayer tactical RPG
Inspired by Fallout Tactics and other oldschool TRPGs, Dustwind delivers the experience with a modern spin.
Create unique characters and fight in a variety of game modes, cooperative or player-vs-player.
Design new maps easily. Be a part of the community and find your own ways to kill, create, and prevail.

faq:

When can I play an apha or a beta?
We appreciate your enthusiasm! And we respect you, our future players. Which is why we would not feel comfortable with dumping something as raw and incomplete as an alpha on you. Once we have a balanced, enjoyable beta, we might call it „Early Access“ though.
So we are asking you to be patient- it will be worth it. The next-best thing that is going to happen is that we will make some gameplay videos to show you more of the game – so stay tuned!
simple-smile.png

How can I support you right now?
Thanks for asking! We are currently striving to find a good indie publisher, so spreading the word in general might help a lot.
Your voice counts!

That aside, we now also have a Paypal Donations button, which might help us getting through the rough times until we receive funding. Also, you can subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook.

Will there be a turnbased mode?
No, sorry. While we also love TB games, we want Dustwind to be as good of a realtime tactical action combat experience as possible, and that means that the whole game is designed around that – you can´t have both in good quality. That said, when we had started playing Fallout Tactics a very long time ago, some of us were pure TB fans. But we quickly found out that a game like this plays much better in multiplayer if you play it in real time. It seemed stressful at first, but it wasn´t. So it might still be worth a try for you, even if you are a diehard TB fan
simple-smile.png

How will the game will be primarily played?
You will be able to play relaxed Coop matches with a couple of old friends, play just for fun in larger rooms, or play lightning-fast 1v1 Deathmatches, competitive Clanmatches, etc.

There is no one „true“ way to play Dustwind, and you will find the ones you personally prefer really fast. Especially since the map editor will enable anyone owning the game to create their own maps – and with them, new ways to play the game. More information about all of this will follow in a future video update.

Will there be a singleplayer campaign?
While the focus of the game is definitely on multiplayer, a singleplayer campaign is something we also really want to make in case we receive sufficient funds to make it. Since it´s basically almost like creating a whole new game, the funding will have to be way above what we need for „just“ the multiplayer part. Should it come to us being able to produce the SP campaign, we are considering adding a tactical pause feature to it (and also a lot of other cool stuff).

So is this like Wasteland-2, Fallout-1, Fallout-2, etc.?
No. While those amazing games doubtlessly have inspired us a lot, they are turnbased RPGs with a lot of story, exploration, dialogue trees, etc.. They are classic RPGs, and we love them for being what they are.

Dustwind however is much closer to Fallout Tactics played online and in realtime mode, than it is to Fallout-2. For example, we also don´t have a Charisma stat at all. It doesn´t mean you won´t be able to talk to characters in the singleplayer campaign just for the atmosphere and SOME story, but the game is really much more about tactical fighting against other players (or against an AI in cooperative mode), than it is about exploration, story, etc..

So comparing Dustwind to Wasteland-2 or Fallout-1/2 is like comparing apples to oranges, despite all the influences and stylistic similarities. It is just an entirely different gameplay experience and focus.

Fallout seems to be not the only influence for the backstory
It isn´t. We have created the Dustwind universe with influences from all kinds of stuff we really love: Fallout, Matrix, Terminator, Elysium, Mad Max, Screamers, Resistopia, and more. It´s all in there to some degree. But again – this game is primarily about tactically killing stuff online with your friends, and about creating your own „stories“ with the help of the map editor if you´re into that kind of stuff.

Which engine are you using?
Unity 3D.

:keepmyjewgold:

Last edited by a moderator:

getter77

Augur
If only they'd reversed the priorities to the much more feasible plan of attack that is single player first and foremost---even the blurb for it in the Details section sounds more coherent.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, Fallout Tactics did have both real-time gameplay and multiplayer.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Yeah, fucking shame, looked very nice, but then lol multiplayer real time.

Who's gonna even play that shit? If i was more into RT tacticul multiplayer, would i play an isometric game? I would totally play some f2p crap shooter instead.

butchy

Prospernaut
Will there be a singleplayer campaign?
While the focus of the game is definitely on multiplayer, a singleplayer campaign is something we also really want to make in case we receive sufficient funds to make it. Since it´s basically almost like creating a whole new game, the funding will have to be way above what we need for „just“ the multiplayer part. Should it come to us being able to produce the SP campaign, we are considering adding a tactical pause feature to it (and also a lot of other cool stuff).

RT or no I'd buy the shit out of this if it had SP.

Ya, similar. Looked great and then I saw "real-time."

Real-time just doesn't seem to fit well with tactical/strategic things, at least for me.

HOWEVER, it can work in FPS deathmatch team-based games. It's just not really the same. It's more fast-paced, not as methodical or deliberate (or relaxed, I'd say). You train with other people and learn a map. Coordinate. Very twitchy. I think the best I played like this was Tribes. I loved base building. I tried mods for Quake 2. Craved Action Quake 2! But it was twitchy...

Maybe it's that I like to take thigns slow sometimes and fast-paced things don't work all the time. But I think I'll hold off on judging it so soon. I've played MMORPGs and they get tactical sometimes. It can still be fun for other reasons.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
This real-time multiplayer only Fallout Tactics-inspired RPG is available on Early Access:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Currently 20% off, still in Early Access.

Not sure I would truly enjoy this either, but sad to see no Codex support. The guy obviously has heart even if it's not the exact kind of RPG we prefer. Seems like a new improved Fallout Tactics could be fun. Seems like this is the game Codexian homies should be playing to fuck each other up once a week.

PrettyDeadman

For some reasons Fallout: Tactics multiplayer was relatively popular in Russia (possible the rest of eastern europe too). Up until recently it was easy to find a match to play it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For some reasons Fallout: Tactics multiplayer was relatively popular in Russian (possible the rest of eastern europe too). Up until recently it was easy to find a match to play it.
The game looks pretty good tbh. I wonder if any Codexer has tried it

ADL

Prophet
Definitely not an MMO but it's a good game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom