Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dustbowl - Fallout'y Adventure

Atavismus

Learned
Hi guyz!

1)

Saw that this is half off on Steam, worth getting it?
Bought it? If you did, I hope you like it. ;)

Thx Toro!

2)

Thx guyz about your opinions about GoG, I'll seriously consider it.

3)

As I told you last time, I made another game in one month for the AGS jam:

U-ROPA

"You are a young technician working in an undersea vehicle extracting minerals.
It's your first day, but a serious accident happens.
You are trapped.
Will you survive? Will you escape?
Be quick, chose wisely, time is running out...
"

It's an uchronic point'n'click with some originality.
I'm really glad about it (even if it's not perfect, it's a jam game afterall :D).

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53067.0

u-ropa10.png

(Mind, if you wanna vote for it, be sure to also play to other games first)

4)

Also, let me paste you here what I wrote on steam forum about Dustbowl's future:

Dustbowl: what's next?

I have a rather ambitious Dustbowl 2 in mind.

I guess/feel I should make a game between Dustbowl and Dustbowl 2, a kind of transition not related to Dustbowl.
Why not discuss about it dear players?

Let's fear you a bit :D

I would like to make a medieval survival game set during Black Death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

Take Dustbowl features, improve and add some.

Let's discuss about it all together! ;)
Don't be shy! :D
As I already said here and there, I'll do my next games with players, for players. ;)

[...]

Here is a quick tweet/picture just for fun (I have in mind a more 16bit/Amiga-ish design):
https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS/status/685872944581586944
And a poll on twitter:
https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS/status/685872454678478849

[...]

About combat, I'm not sure what to do.
I guess there are 3 ways:
- keep it and improve it
- turn more arcade (maybe almost realtime)
- turn more tactical (I have something in mind based on fight movements/combos. I think it's original and could be interesting)
Not sure what you guyz would prefer.
Myself, I could be up for something more arcade/realtime.
Left mouse button to attack (different parts of the body) and right to defend with a shield (one of your body part).

I'll be glad to hear you about it guyz (here or on steam).

Cya and take care!

Atavismus

Learned
Hi there!

I talked to you in a previous post about a kind of medieval Dustbowl set during Black Death.
I called it Yersinia 13 (project name).

Here is my last post on steam:

Just to let you know that I'm still reading, thinking, writing about Yersinia.

Btw, I wanted to discuss about class/stats with you.

I propose 7 classes:

Fighter
Rogue
Priest
Doctor
Monk
Paladin
Ranger

And 6 stats:

Strength
Constitution
Dexterity
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

My idea is to keep it simple and usual.

Still, I plan a double alignment : good/evil and orthodoxy/heresy.
It will affect relations with NPC.
EDIT:
Also, it will evolve depending of your choices and actions.
For example, if you kill a priest or rob a patient, your alignment will negatively change.
Same but positively, if you give money to a beggar or save a kid.
I see a radar diagram (maybe as a crucifix) to display these 4 axis.
https://www.amcharts.com/demos/radar-chart/

Whatever your class, you can be hired as a plague doctor (so you get the wage and the “armor”) but it’s not mandatory to play the game.

I made a table with the different stats values for each class:

classe10.png

You start with those stats +10 points you can spend the way you want.
Then, as in Dustbowl, while playing, you'll get XP to level up and gain points to spend on those 6 stats.

Please, let me know what you think about it and if those stats are well "distributed" depending of the class.

Yersinia is coming!

PS: U-ROPA won the jam and was featured in PCGAMER "Free games of the week".

CZ_FLGkWAAIsnGK.jpg

Atavismus

Learned
To be completely frank with you - I prefer the Dustbowl C64 aesthetics more.
Thx for your frankness CyberWhale, it's exactly what I am looking for. :)

EDIT: Is it because the "Amiga version" is not good enough or?

What do you think guys and gals? Should we keep the C64 aesthetics or move to an Amiga "look"?

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I like both C64 and Amiga visuals, it really depends on what kind of mood you want to evoke, or to be more honest, to which era of gaming you want your visuals to have a connection to

That said, I prefer game creators who know that going in and know what they want, instead of letting it decide by fan-vote, that rarely ends well

Atavismus

Learned
Thx for your opinion Grauken.

That said, I prefer game creators who know that going in and know what they want, instead of letting it decide by fan-vote, that rarely ends well

That's a very interesting point and in a way, you are right.
Still, to me, gamedev can't be pure pretentious autocrat (especially indies because teams are often so small or even only one man: we all need external eyes).
There is always more good ideas in two brains than in one.
There are also more bad ideas in two brains, but that's why some people are here to sort/arbitrate/decide.

To me, it's a bit like being in a band.
The leader has to listen all musicians because each has their own culture and influences with strong points.
The leader knows the "main line", decides and makes all this homogeneous.

You are the talented musicians, I am the leader. :D
And I will sincerely and carefully listen to you to make the best game I can with you, because you'll be those who will play. ;)

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's a very interesting point and in a way, you are right.
Still, to me, gamedev can't be pure pretentious autocrat (especially indies because teams are often so small or even only one man: we all need external eyes).
There is always more good ideas in two brains than in one.
There are also more bad ideas in two brains, but that's why some people are here to sort/arbitrate/decide.
There's a lot of value in having an editorial voice, yes, but not so much in having multiple creative voices, unless their roles are extremely well defined. There's a reason books don't have multiple authors.

That said, I like the art mock-up as a starting point. The GUI is good and evocative of the style you're aiming for, but imo the background art could use a little work -- some of the objects are a bit disproportionate, and the coloring feels somehow off. Still, it's not bad -- it gives a definite "Lure of the Temptress" vibe.

Atavismus

Learned
There's a reason books don't have multiple authors.
You'll be surprised by all those famous books written by at least two authors. ;)
But yeah, I get your point and your "warning".
Mind, the plan is not to let players decide of everything, I'll be the creator but I'll consult and listen to people.
I know it won't be an easy balance to find, but I guess it worths it.
We'll see... ;)

That said, I like the art mock-up as a starting point. The GUI is good and evocative of the style you're aiming for, but imo the background art could use a little work -- some of the objects are a bit disproportionate, and the coloring feels somehow off. Still, it's not bad -- it gives a definite "Lure of the Temptress" vibe.
Thx!
Proportions will be reworked indeed, same for colours (we'll make a try with the DB32 palette).

We are working on a portrait generator.
Here is a picture I tweeted:

CbrP14bWwAEFsVr.jpg:large

Still WIP but it should be ready soonish (I guess I'll do a web version just for fun).

Atavismus

Learned
- Strength: give damage

- Constitution: take damage (health)

- Dexterity: fight / trap / loot

- Intelligence: heal yourself and others (should we rename it "Knowledge" or "Science"?)

- Wisdom: religion / be obeyed (should we rename it "Faith"?)

- Charisma: trust / convince / get help

Intelligence and Wisdom will determine your "mana" (or whatever it will be called: it's more alchemy/healing because there will be no real magic, as the game won't be "fantasy" at all).

The idea is to porpose as much as possible 3 way to succeed in a task:
- brutal (threat and fight)
- smart (puzzle or "thief" abilities)
- social (reputation / help / money)

Let me know if it makes sense and if it's clear enough. ;)

V_K

Arcane
- Intelligence: heal yourself and others (should we rename it "Knowledge" or "Science"?)

- Wisdom: religion / be obeyed (should we rename it "Faith"?)
Intelligence and Wisdom will determine your "mana" (or whatever it will be called: it's more alchemy/healing because there will be no real magic, as the game won't be "fantasy" at all).
I don't know, of course, how you plan to use them, but to me this separation of Int and Wis seems just as unnecessary, as it is in DnD. It would probably make more sense to just go with Wisdom for both functions - would make it less of a dump stat for warrior types too.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Atavismus Did you ever consider adding ending slides to Dustbowl like toro suggested? If you still don't understand what that means, I can explain it further.

Atavismus

Learned
I don't know, of course, how you plan to use them, but to me this separation of Int and Wis seems just as unnecessary, as it is in DnD. It would probably make more sense to just go with Wisdom for both functions - would make it less of a dump stat for warrior types too.
Well, the Intelligence in Yersinia will be related to healing knowledges. It will be important for the infection bar.
And wisdom is more about faith.
That's why I guess I won't keep "Intelligence" and "Wisdom" but use something like "Sience" and "Faith".

Atavismus Did you ever consider adding ending slides to Dustbowl like toro suggested? If you still don't understand what that means, I can explain it further.
As a slideshow?

Also, breaking news :D

Here is the html portrait generator:

http://yersinia.univertgames.com/generator.htm

We'll use it for main character and as a basis for NPC.

screen10.png

You can download your portrait or get a direct link and use it as an avatar: I hope to see some around. ;)

Also, if you find a nice or ugly guy, please, share it here and give him a small description and even a medieval name.
Something like: affable priest, nasty monk, sinister villain, etc.
I'll use all this for building the game. ;)

Enjoy and share! :)

V_K

Arcane
Well, the Intelligence in Yersinia will be related to healing knowledges. It will be important for the infection bar.
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't think the plague would feature as an actual mechanic, thought you meant post-combat healing. Nice to know that you're aiming for complex simulation. :salute:

That's why I guess I won't keep "Intelligence" and "Wisdom" but use something like "Sience" and "Faith".
Science is a post-medieval concept, Knowledge or Lore would fit the setting better.

Atavismus

Learned
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't think the plague would feature as an actual mechanic, thought you meant post-combat healing. Nice to know that you're aiming for complex simulation.
Thx.
Even if you can't totally avoid plague, there are some good pratices (vinegar, some plants, etc.).
Mind, there is also some advised practices that are totally useless hehe
I'll use all these in the game.

Science is a post-medieval concept, Knowledge or Lore would fit the setting better.
True.
"Knowledge" is good but too "large" imo.
I like the word "Lore", but it's not enough obvious and too much "oral traditions" maybe.
Why not simply "Medecine"?
As the game is about a disease, it makes sense, don't you think?

V_K

Arcane
"Knowledge" is good but too "large" imo.
I like the word "Lore", but it's not enough obvious and too much "oral traditions" maybe.
Why not simply "Medecine"?
As the game is about a disease, it makes sense, don't you think?
Actually I have the opposite problem - Medicine sounds awfully specific, when put alongside more abstract and high-level stats like Charisma or Dexterity.
Funny thing, though: if you rename Wisdom into Faith, you can then rename Intelligence into Wisdom - which fits the function, and also has an additional bonus of being often associated with healing in RPGs.
Another approach would be to give all stats more specific names (Melee instead of Strength, Persuasion instead of Charisma, Religion instead of Faith etc) - than Medicine would fit nicely. But you should probably call them skills in that case.

Atavismus

Learned
Hi there!

Just to let you know I'm not dead, I'm still working on Yersinia.
I'm waiting to have enough art to show to make some dedicated posts here, on TIG Forum, indiedb, etc.
Moreover, I'm playing with Unity to decide if I should switch to that engine.
In case you forgot/missed it, here is a link to the Yersinia portrait generator:
http://yersinia.univertgames.com/generator.htm

Also, for those who wonder about a Dustbowl GoG release, we contacted them and they don't want our baby!
Let me quote them: Blah blah "we need to have a special consideration for our curating system" blah blah "your title does not match our criteria".
Ouch! :D
Too bad, but no big deal if you ask me. ;)

Cya and take care!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, as much as I like GOG, their criteria for games are a bit strange, some of the newer indie stuff that gets published there is utter shovelware (the recent Slain game for example), at the same time some quiet excellent titles they don't take for whatever reason, odd

that said, one man's trash is another man's treasure

also strange, I never though that I would ever appreciate Steam over GOG in some aspects, but their open nature, while having opened the floodgate for lots of trash, makes it possible to actually discover hidden gems from time to time that I might have never found if they were buried on some developers private website

Atavismus

Learned
I agree Grauken, Steam is full of ambiguities.
I didn't want to sell there at start, but I don't regret at all: I met real gamers on Steam.
Mind, I won't complain or whine on GoG: I'll submit them Yersinia, no hard feelings. ;)
I write about it here because some ppl asked about a GoG release, nothing more.

Atavismus

Learned
Hi there!

Yersinia has a new artist with a new style and a more appropriate mood according to me.
Here is a mockup:

sss00110.png

Please, let me know what you think about it ;)

lightbane

Arcane
It looks very cool. Although, wouldn't it be better if you made a separate thread for your new game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom