Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dusk, by New Blood Interactive: a frenetic FPS inspired by olDoom and Quake (2017)

---

Arcane

https://af.gog.com/game/dusk?as=1649904300

Gore, fast pace, lots of weapons, metal OST (by Andrew Hulshult, the composer of Brutal Doom's soundtrack), retrò graphics (no pixel art inside, though):
this is Dusk.

In three distinct campaign episodes hand-crafted from straight outta the 90’s, players battle through an onslaught of mystical backwater cultists, possessed militants and even darker forces and attempt to discover just what lurks beneath the earth. Featuring a vast arsenal of badass weaponry including saw blades, dual-wielded shotguns from 1887 and an incredibly necessary grenade launcher, DUSK is unapologetic retro action from start to finish.

The will feature a single player campaign, an endless survival mode, and a PVP arena 1v1.
Coming out in 2017.

Seems pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

tormund

Arcane
Art wise, this looks inferior and shoddy compared to any of games they cite as inspiration.

For example, almost 20 years old Quake TC has more interesting looking architecture and environments that any of what they've shown in that trailer

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm getting really tired of this 'cite older game's artstyle as inspiration and proceed to make it look somehow worse' meme
Seems like the gameplay might be decent, although even the levels look like crap

Astral Rag

Arcane
giphy.gif

Looks like some low-effort Russian Quake clone from 1997.

edit: And of course this oldskool shooter is powered by Unity.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
Well, it was high time for "retro 3D" to become an excuse for laziness or lack of talent/funds among indie devs in a same way that "pixel art" has been for ages now.
Sad thing is that low poly 3D can be really attractive looking... but that requires actual effort.

Astral Rag

Arcane
-Graphics that looks like a Quake Mod
-Gameplay like the old retro FPS's

Wow graphics looks like Blood 2. Need.

Getting Chasm: The Rift vibes here really.

Man. I'm so happy about this recent Retro FPS revival. We're getting remakes, and new IPs all over the place.

Hey now, this looks retro as fuck!

So, it's a bastard child of Blood and Redneck Rampage

Quake + heretic ripoff? I LIKE IT!

it's a homage to classic fps

Loving the graphics, it's like Blood 2 :D This game must be awesome in VR!

This looks exactly like Quake, and reminds me of Painkiller. You have my interest.

:abyssgazer:

Robert Jarzebina

Looks like shit but still better than modern corridor cinematic FPS.

I might give it a try, what are the system specs? Pentium 200 MMX with 3DFX?

A pity none of these modern indie devs don't try to create decent sprite-based 2,5 D fpp shooter... Build Engine is open soure since years, Doom's - the same...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Will wait to see how level design is. If they can get that right, I'm sold.

Don't give a shit about the graphics and neither should you.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You need a new pair of eyes. The game looks considerably worst than either Quake or Doom for starters. It seems now making your game look like shit above and beyond any restriction imposed by a low budget or anything like that has become a trend with indie devs. First pixel art that looks far shittier than any actual pixel game from old, and now this butt ugly 3D "retro" shit that makes the original Quake look like fucking Crysis.

Also, the video doesn't show any level design so who knows whether this game even approaches those classic shooters. Also, am i the only one who gets triggered by the FOV used in modern shooters? WTF is that shit. Everything looks warped and retarded.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Game looks like somebody took a shit, ate it, barfed it up, cooked it, ate it again, shit it out and then peed on it.

And that's putting it mildly.

ortucis

Prophet
Meh, I'll play it.

At least it isn't MP only "arena" FPS, like Toxikk.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Game looks fun but they really need a level designer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom