Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor: Available NOW on Steam!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p><em>It&rsquo;s finally here!  Grab your Golemancy hats and your Lutefisk cubes!  Bring glory to Krong!</em></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800" target="_blank">You can get it here.
</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>And it seems <a href="http://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/2011/07/13/so-uh-hi-there/" target="_blank">it's doing quite well</a> so far:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Hi, everybody. We&rsquo;re&hellip; a little overwhelmed, and also going about with large grins on our faces. Being #1 on Steam &ndash; even if we have been cruelly deposed (for now!) by the Curse of Cthulhu Saving the World &ndash; is quite the rush. We should ship games more often. Thank you all for your support and patronage; we&rsquo;re looking forward to kicking it up to the next level.</p>
<p>We have fixed a few bugs that came out of the woodwork. The random crash bug is fixed, a save corruption bug is fixed (there may be more), the Infinite XP glitch is fixed, and the infinite-money-in-shop glitch has been resolved as well. We will be sending a patch off to Steam as soon as we have finished testing it a little more.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Will grab this later today.</p>

Mhain

Educated
I bought it because there aren't many games to play in summer. It is a fun but ultimately mediocre game. Character creation is definitely its best part and is extremely well made; monsters, some of the graphics and the adventuring parts are underwhelming. Text is detailed and clever. I will never buy a commercial roguelike again; how dare people charge for something that is worse than what is already available for free?

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
So, given that this is topping Steam charts by revenue and the fact that NWN2 Platinum has constantly been in Steam top 100 since release (while DA2 is nowhere to be seen), could it be that there is in fact a respectable market for non- "AAA, accessible, streamlined" RPG's? Note that NWN2 didn't get a Steam release until december 2010 and has been no. 1 on Steam several times during sales.

In fact, I'd bet that NWN2, a rereleased 5 year old game, has generated more money on Steam than the abomination that is called D&D Daggerdale.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
thesisko said:
So, given that this is topping Steam charts by revenue and the fact that NWN2 Platinum has constantly been in Steam top 100 since release (while DA2 is nowhere to be seen), could it be that there is in fact a respectable market for non- "AAA, accessible, streamlined" RPG's? Note that NWN2 didn't get a Steam release until december 2010 and has been no. 1 on Steam several times during sales.
Steam stats show that a little over 1000 have played it today, same with NWN2 (yesterday it was around 800). Those are Jeff Vogel numbers, all right for single-digit teams, not good at all by last decade's standards. Of course those numbers are inaccurate because of people who choose to play offline or who purchased it and haven't installed/played yet, but I doubt they're significantly inaccurate for a new release.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Roguey said:
Those are Jeff Vogel numbers, all right for single-digit teams, not good at all by last decade's standards. Of course those numbers are inaccurate because of people who choose to play offline or who purchased it and haven't installed/played yet, but I doubt they're significantly inaccurate for a new release.

Right, so you are suggesting that Jeff Vogel typically has over 1000 players actually playing his game day 1 of release and that "Super Street Fighter IV - Arcade Edition" has flopped to the point of being less profitable than a Vogel game. I guess Capcom won't be porting any more games to PC eh?

EDIT: I've bought about 50 games on Steam and out of those I've played maybe one or two the same day that I bought it.

orao

Novice
Loving this so far.

To Mhain, honestly, I love roguelikes, but the worst thing about them are the nonexistent graphics. More graphical roguelikes can only be a good thing, especially with graphics of this quality, and if they have to be commercial, so be it.
Great fun.

getter77

Augur
Bought it yesterday afternoon. No idea when I'll throw any real time at it, but a good price and the promise of lots of good stuff post-release including opening up the modding in a big way.

Glad they finally made release so I could shoot them the $5. Cardinal Quest is the next commercial Roguelike soon to land, IIRC, so it'll be interesting to see how their respective approaches differ.

JaySn

Educated
Can you disable the graphics . . . or are you forced to be reminded how much money they must of spent on things of so little worth?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
thesisko said:

In fact, I'd bet that NWN2, a rereleased 5 year old game, has generated more money on Steam than the abomination that is called D&D Daggerdale.

Honestly, this is a good thing! I want to see independant RPG developers given a shot on Steam. Even if they make only $2.50 per unit on a $5 game (or whatever the price is) it is still an awesome way for developers to get their stuff out and make some coin. This I strongly want to encourage, even it is not up to the currently accepted level of graphics...

Also, I couldn't help but notice that during Steams Summer Camp sale, on a day where DA2 was $24.99, DA2 was ranked 85th on the top 100, with a peak of 600 players for that day. Being ranked well below NWN2, DA1, and hell, well below Mount & Blade: Warbands, has got to hurt. This on a day that peaked at 3.6 million gamers.

Now, I know that FO:NV was pretty much Steam only, and if you bought it, you had a CD that downloaded the content. But is DA2 available for purchase as a standalone product? This may skew the above results, so I understand.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Jaesun said:
tindrli said:
l3loodAngel said:
Why would someone play this shit? Enemies look worse than this: :bounce:
JaySn said:
Can you disable the graphics . . . or are you forced to be reminded how much money they must of spent on things of so little worth?

you are Faggot. GO and play Faggot age

:thumbsup:

You can hate me as much as you want but that shit does look like a vomit... Games should be attractive atleast like AoD. Ye it is of little worth in long run, but I just cant play something that looks that bad...

Multi-headed Cow

Daemongar said:
Now, I know that FO:NV was pretty much Steam only, and if you bought it, you had a CD that downloaded the content. But is DA2 available for purchase as a standalone product? This may skew the above results, so I understand.
DA2 doesn't use Steamworks, so buying it anywhere BUT Steam means you don't get a Steam copy. If you buy FNV anywhere at all it gets added to Steam.

Nope

Liturgist
As a rogulike it can't even compete with the original Rogue.
The "procedurally generated" levels are near identical.
There's more than a few palette swaps with the monsters.
The crafting system is less advanced than say Minecraft's.
There's very little interactive things in the dungeon environment. (questgiver statue with 3 kinds of kill the enemy quests, enchantment anvils, click to disable traps, containers and levers)
The items are generally just temporary +damage potions/wands, throwing/missile wands, near useless crafting components and restoration potions.
No diagonal movement allowed and only ranged weapons can attack diagonally.
The only thing it's got going for it is the hit and miss humorous item and skill descriptions.

11 hours in and I won't be bothering with more.
It's as if this game was made for the Smartphone/Facebook market and the author decided to try and scam people who actually play games in the last minute.

Nope

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
What are you expecting from a 5$ game? Dragon Gay Elf Sex Age?
Gameplay at least on par with the most basic of it's free predecessors.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If there's a genre I don't mind seeing streamlined for accessibility and smoother difficulty curves, it's roguelikes.

aleph

Arcane
shihonage said:
If there's a genre I don't mind seeing streamlined for accessibility and smoother difficulty curves, it's roguelikes.
:decline:

keep your streamlining away from my roguelikes

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wouldn't read too much in games like this being top sellers on Steam. Anything cheap on Steam sells and $5 is cheap. Not saying it's a bad game just that I wouldn't assume it will lead to a rejuvenation of the roguelike genre or more stat based RPGs like NWN2 (never mind that game isn't even that good).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
thesisko said:
Right, so you are suggesting that Jeff Vogel typically has over 1000 players actually playing his game day 1 of release
Maybe? There's no proof either way since he's only released detailed sales figures once.
and that "Super Street Fighter IV - Arcade Edition" has flopped to the point of being less profitable than a Vogel game. I guess Capcom won't be porting any more games to PC eh?
Wouldn't know, and it's not a good comparison because fighting game matches are quick and I imagine people are leaving just as fast as others are joining.
EDIT: I've bought about 50 games on Steam and out of those I've played maybe one or two the same day that I bought it.
That's weird. Game hoarders are creepy and hopefully a minority. Unless there's an amazing sale, there's little reason to buy something until you're ready to play, especially something small and cheap like this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not so uncommon with Steam considering there are about three or four major sales per year. I bought about a dozen or so games in the Summer Sale and so far have only played Terraria.

orao

Novice
Metro said:
I bought about a dozen or so games in the Summer Sale and so far have only played Terraria.

Need I remind you of... this?

pj59d.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom