Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Aledorn (formerly Dungeons of Aledorn) - Realms of Arkania-like RPG

Shannow

Waster of Time
The pitch said something about this being mostly to finance the switch to the new Unity engine, or something. (Because AFAIK Unity 5 is free, but the assets cost money. I'd probably write much less crap and save time to boot, if I bothered to actually check my facts... But where would be the fun in that?)

Alchemist

Arcane
Re: the low goal of $60,000, I'm guessing that not all of the devs are working on this full-time. Some of them might be doing bits of it on a freelance basis, and have other jobs to support them. I'm just speculating though.. maybe the dev who posted in this thread can talk more about that.

Team 21

NoEZ Games
Developer
Dungeons of Aledorn on Greenlight!

Greetings friends, backers and fans of Dungeons of Aledorn! We would like to thank everyone for their support since you’ve now allowed us to achieve 10% of our goal! If we continue at this rate, we believe that the campaign will be a great success. However, we request that you continue to share the campaign among all your friends in order to support the development of the game.

Furthermore, we have great news - today DoA has entered the field of Greenlight! You can help us get the game approved on Steam. Once we are approved, the game will be available for all backers who opt for this platform.

Again, a huge thanks to everyone for all the kind words, encouragement, support and sharing.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ahhhh, I love lying to Steam. I wonder how many times I can say YES when they ask, "Would you buy this game on Steam?" before they stop counting my Greenlight votes.

Hey dude, stick around and talk.
Ask more questions, he's already been answering them itt. (Just don't be a Dawnrazor textwall.)

Dungeons of Aledorn on Greenlight!

Greetings friends, backers and fans of Dungeons of Aledorn! We would like to thank everyone for their support since you’ve now allowed us to achieve 10% of our goal! If we continue at this rate, we believe that the campaign will be a great success. However, we request that you continue to share the campaign among all your friends in order to support the development of the game.

Furthermore, we have great news - today DoA has entered the field of Greenlight! You can help us get the game approved on Steam. Once we are approved, the game will be available for all backers who opt for this platform.

Again, a huge thanks to everyone for all the kind words, encouragement, support and sharing.

Done. And more done! :D Cheers! -Dawnrazor

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...aledorn-old-school-hardcore-rpg/posts/1166031

About the game mechanics, with game designer Pt1

During our Kickstarter campaign, we´ll present to you some of the core game mechanics that will accompany you during the gameplay of DoA. Some of the following details may seem a bit too technical, but we´ll also try to disclose some practical use of these features that will hopefully get you excited about them.

Game user interface types
The first part of mechanics update will concentrate on the user interfaces throughout the game. The DoA story and gameplay experience will be presented to you via multiple GUIs (graphical user interfaces) and some of them are very different in nature - there was actually no way around this, due to the fact that we´re combining distinct core features such as a first person exploration, top down combat and map tracking during travel. Each of them enables you to execute various actions and in following paragraphs you´ll get a hint about their purpose and function.

First person GUI
A greater deal of the game will be played in a first person view. It´s the default GUI for player´s interaction with the world, as you´re used with dungeon crawler layouts. It will serve for various non-combat actions such as exploration, the opening of treasure chests, searching for secrets, interaction with NPCs and the gathering of herbs etc.

We like this view not only for its good level of immersion for the player into the game-world, but also because it allows us to place tons of secrets and objects to interact with throughout the game, and have a good control over what player sees (and doesn´t see) during their exploration.

Many of you will probably recall the thrill during playing Legends of Grimrock, when you stumble upon a secret button on an ordinary looking wall, and just wondered what exactly it will do. This is definitely what we´re striving for in our game, but with the difference, that rather than pixel hunting, you´ll have to invest into the skills of your characters to be even able to see these objects in the first place. Doing a run with full-warrior group might make most encounters a bit easier, but you´d be probably missing a lot of content, due to other classes having significant bonuses for this purpose (details about classes are coming soon in following updates).

Battle GUI
This is GUI for all battle encounters and it will switch on automatically upon exceeding the limits of "shadow bar" (not yet visually implemented in demo, will be disclosed in further in part two) or it may be entered willingly in order to gain the element of surprise or to attack neutral NPCs.

Combat GUI will offer a full spectrum of tactical options. The battles are played on hex fields that will be automatically generated from the first person-GUI positions of world objects, player characters and their enemies. There are no boundaries to the hex field, as it expands when its borders are approached. This may cause many interesting situations to happen, but not necessarily only the pleasant and advantageous ones.

An absent-minded fleeing character that enters new location might find their self in another battle by encountering new enemies. But then you also have the option to lead one group of enemies to a foreign faction of enemies in vicinity and let the problem take care of itself, and that´s only the start of a long list of possible situations.

Travel GUI
The travel GUI will activate upon leaving the actual location and it will be displayed as a half-blind map, complete with marks representing already discovered locations and the player’s group location and tracking of their movement. Upon entering a new location or random encounter, the game then switches back to first person-GUI respectively in a case of an imminent encounter into battle GUI. The actual world map areas differ in chances of encounters, hunting opportunities, speed of travelling progress and so on. Get ready for dilemmas such as; faster travel through dangerous lands or rather a detour the group and go the long route but with a chance to starve on the way?

GUI for camping management
This will be an optional GUI, available only for the higher difficulty option. Basically, it´s an activities schedule of each member of player´s group. Here you´ll be able to decide who will do what and for how long. The number of possible activities will definitely exceed the number of party members, so you´ll have to correctly assess your actual needs and, more importantly, choose wisely. The results of the chosen activities will depend heavily on character talents and skills and partially on actual statuses of characters, map location and luck.

Other GUIs
There will be of course many sub-GUIs, such as inventory, characters list, journal, spell book, menu, alchemy submenu, dialogue and trade GUI, mini-games. Their names are self-explanatory, and we´ll gladly address your questions and tips in a comments section about the features that are important for you within these standard GUIs (e.g. is it possible to make personal notes in local maps (hint: It actually is!) etc.).

We´re also looking forward to your suggestions about all mentioned mechanics - what do you like and dislike about them and why? See you at the next update and thank you for your support and pledges. With your help, we can make Dungeons of Aledorn a reality!

TEAM 21

Short interview with game designer

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, their English stinks, but their game looks fucking fantastic. Pretty meaty update too.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That video was so bad it made me feel embarassed I backed the project. :lol: I hope they make more. :D

EDIT:
Also, awesome beard is awesome.

Alchemist

Arcane
You gotta admire the enthusiasm of epic-beard-man though! Even though he interrupts the lead designer constantly, it's amusing.

I really like the way battlefields have a 1:1 relation to the world layout and the added layer of strategy that allows. I'm hoping it will be possible to lure enemy groups into certain strategically advantageous areas, set up ambushes and stuff like that.

Team 21

NoEZ Games
Developer
Hello guys.
Yes, of course, my English is terrible. I am self-taught. English I learned only in pubs, series and games. On English We have in team capable people. We've got a man who did the English translation for Fable. Or girl who is a native speaker of the South African Republic.
It is important that you have taken mechanics, that's what our game is worth the most. During the campaign, I have made a large number of interviews. In them I answered many a question that you're asking here.
Thanks for your support and clemency;)
Nefarit

Last edited:

Inquisition

Educated
You guys rock! No one cares about your english, all I care about is that you want to revive the old Realms of Arkania games. Backed.

torpid

Liturgist
This is GUI for all battle encounters and it will switch on automatically upon exceeding the limits of "shadow bar" (not yet visually implemented in demo, will be disclosed in further in part two) or it may be entered willingly in order to gain the element of surprise or to attack neutral NPCs.

If I'm understanding this correctly, there's even a rudimentary stealth system! I wonder if this "shadow bar" is the same for every party, in which case it's only cosmetic stealth, or whether your characters' classes and skills play a part in how close you can get before being detected.

There are no boundaries to the hex field, as it expands when its borders are approached. This may cause many interesting situations to happen, but not necessarily only the pleasant and advantageous ones.

:o Teh possibilities!1! I keep filling out my "ideal RPG characteristics" checklist with this stuff. First person, switches to overhead grid combat on the same map, and you can run around wherever you want like a headless chicken.

This will be an optional GUI, available only for the higher difficulty option. Basically, it´s an activities schedule of each member of player´s group. Here you´ll be able to decide who will do what and for how long. The number of possible activities will definitely exceed the number of party members, so you´ll have to correctly assess your actual needs and, more importantly, choose wisely. The results of the chosen activities will depend heavily on character talents and skills and partially on actual statuses of characters, map location and luck.

Holy shit, holy shit (I assume this is for gathering herbs like in RoA) -- if they can really deliver on all of this, there'll be no superficial features in this game; every aspect of it will have been done in depth.

Last edited:

Explorerbc

Arcane
Neal Hallford 1 day ago
Since you evoked Betrayal at Krondor as the first game in your list of "inspirations", I simply HAD to come in and say I hope you have as much fun making it as I did in making BAK all those years ago (well me, along with John Cutter and the best development team I ever worked with). I'd love to see some of our fire back in the gaming world again.

Best wishes,
Neal Hallford
(Lead Writer and Co-Designer for "Betrayal at Krondor")

Alchemist

Arcane
Today I ventured into enemy territory (RPGWatch) to bring back word of an interview with one of the Aledorn / Team 21 devs, Ladislav: http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=302
Pretty cool, informative interview - just ignore the references to the Grimrock. ;)

Actually it confirms what I thought about the funding goal - that they are mostly part-time contract workers on the project. So the low funding goal is not so alarming - it doesn't need to support full-time devs on a monthly basis.

So, when is the Codex interview coming? :)

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Inventory is one of the most complex parts of our game. There will be something around 30 slots for items. Lots of slots will have an ability to add additional slots that will save Action Points (AP ) in the battles. One example for all is say that in your left hand you will put a magic bracelet increasing resistance against fire by 10 % on the right side you will place a bracelet - case for daggers. This case will create two more slots for throwing knives.
Let say the combat begins and your character has two knives in a bracelet case, one under his belt and 4 in a backpack. If we want to pull the dagger from his belt, it will use 2 AP but only one AP from the case and the bag. It would have to be calculated depending on situation. Removing backpack and put it on the ground 5 AP get on the knees to reach backpack 2 AP, finding the knife in the backpack 3 AP , a rise and stand up to get ready for fight 2 AP. So, in total, 12 AP. The advantage of this "bracelet case" is therefore straight forward.

Sounds great!

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The sad thing is that the KS is going really slow (18K now), even more considering that there is a 7K tier backer.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
When this Kickstarter started I thought it appeared only a little more interesting than Seven Dragon Saga. At this point I'm finding it much more exciting. We've got veteran developers being a little vague and not really sure what type of audience to cater to, and these upstart part timers attempting exactly what those veteran developers should be doing. The lore may be banal, but the game could be great if they pull it off.

Yet they both look likely to fail.

Codex. Fundraiser. When.

Ditto.

1) I still wonder if you will be able to move/break objects in first person, or to arrange to your cover.

2) I am also wondering if some enemies will take up multiple hexes, perhaps having one hex as a vulnerable spot.

3) Will you be able to stealth in shadows, using first-person, with appropriate skills?

Hello guys.
Yes, of course, my English is terrible. I am self-taught. English I learned only in pubs, series and games. On English We have in team capable people. We've got a man who did the English translation for Fable. Or girl who is a native speaker of the South African Republic.
It is important that you have taken mechanics, that's what our game is worth the most. During the campaign, I have made a large number of interviews. In them I answered many a question that you're asking here.
Thanks for your support and clemency;)
Nefarit

Thanks! Waiting on your reply.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom