Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeons of Aledorn, an indie RPG inspired by Krondor and Arkania, now on Kickstarter

You literally don't know anything about Slavic language. Serbo-Croatian has NO articles.

To je normalno.

Eh, I guess I don't. You're right, there are no articles in Czech either, at least according to... the Internet:

definite article:
The definite article in English is "the" (we also have an indefinite article, "a"). Czech has no articles, but sometimes the demonstrative pronoun ("ten" - "that") can be used in a similar way to the English "

In my defence - I am speaking an Eastern European language that DOES have articles. And again, hopefully the devs will hire some native English speaker to go over the dialogue in the game, otherwise they could end up with atrocious translations at the level of King's Bounty (I had no idea what some of those quests were about, it all looked like the text received the "Google Translate" treatment).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This looks interesting. Do they accept money on any other place than Kickstarter?

Edit: Ooof, 2017 release date. It's better that are being honest and not saying 2016 and then delaying it for ages.

mondblut

Arcane
Look at Planescape. It mixed fantasy, magic, demons, robots in a bizarre way.
And it worked. Because it was supposed to be weird.

PS was canned even before T$R bit the dust, whereas the supergeneric FR is alive and somewhat kicking 20 years later. Apparently it didn't work enough.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looks good, its only that their logo (baby blue!) looks like it's for a run-of-the-mill or Aldorlea JPRG.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look at Planescape. It mixed fantasy, magic, demons, robots in a bizarre way.
And it worked. Because it was supposed to be weird.

PS was canned even before T$R bit the dust, whereas the supergeneric FR is alive and somewhat kicking 20 years later. Apparently it didn't work enough.
I was referring to the computer RPG. Since a videogame universe is always restrictive, things either work or do not.

As for a pen+paper one, I think the concept of a "boring setting" can be subjective. Since it's a pen+paper, imagination is the limit. You can put Forgotten Realms heroes meeting stormptroopers from the Star Wars universe or a party fighting Godzilla. You can play with rules and do what you want. It's the true sandbox game.
Wasn't it Spelljammer that tried to be "Forgotten Realms+Star Trek"?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Planescape and Numenera are both shit settings and I bought them both as soon as they were available. People like them because they let you create whatever the fuck you want. The Torment name is only as good as the video games.

Devs are already on here to question. Look for "Team 21."

As far as first-person exploration, mixed with isometric turn-based combat, looks like the best of both worlds--so long as you can interact with the environment in first person, destroying environments, destructible walls, positioning cover, crafting weapons & armor, gathering herbs, casting certain spells, and forcible attacking passive NPCs. :)

Funded.

This tops my list with Underworld, Torment, and Seven Dragons Saga.

I just wish the name wasn't as generic.

As far as fantasy & sci-fi: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke ;)

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Nice, someone pledged 7k. It makes it look like they've deceptively gained momentum though. They need a lot more word of mouth than they're getting now.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Backed this and SDS, but looks like neither of them will make it. The ironic thing is that Dungeons of Aledorn would have already succeeded if it had attained SDS's funding level.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Mind you, the prediction was only half right. The end of Seven Dragon Saga lent Aledorn no momentum whatsoever. It just managed to gain a surge of funding over the last few days.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They were two separate predictions. The first was obviously a joke and the second was clearly serious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom