Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeons of Aledorn, an indie RPG inspired by Krondor and Arkania, now on Kickstarter

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
This randomly looks pretty good. Pledged, going to try to help get the word out there amongst my friends. Deserves a chance at the price he's asking.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Once people pull their money from that phony Gold Box successor, I see this gaining even more momentum. I bet this makes it on the last day.

Cadmus

Arcane
this kickstarter pitch is the funniest thing I've seen all week
somebody invite the devs to the codex so that we can "question" them!

torpid

Liturgist
1st person blobber xploration, overhead, grid-based combat :bounce: And apparently you're not transported to a pre-generated battlefield; the game just switches to overhead view + grid, so it even allows for some pre-positioning.

"Move your characters on the hexagonal map (...) No squares -- we hate squares"

Paper doll in the inventory screen to admire our loot!

Looks like a lot of it is done already; maybe that's why they're asking for only $60k? Polish/fine-tuning.

Last edited:
I'm quite fed up with these generic settings, to be honest. The game looks really interesting, but there are only so many elves (dark/wooden/white/special-snowflakes/etc), hobbits (?), dwarves and such that one can ignore before it gets to the saturation point. I wish some of these newer developers would go for something a little bit different... I absolutely ADORED the setting in Banner Saga, so it is possible in my opinion to do something different even in the oft-visited vein of nordic theme-parks (let's be honest here, every single one of these table top games, books and cRPGs steals ideas from or is influenced by parts of that mythology, from Tolkien to the latest Ageing Dragon: Fetchquisition; it all got mixed into this amorphous blob that includes every imaginable cliché, recycled over and over again, probably because it is the "safest" general setting to go with).

First thing the tactical map in the pitch video reminded me of is Expeditions: Conquistadors. That game isn't exactly pretty to look at, but it is something different. In this case however, I can ignore the awkward looking textures and bland graphics (it IS a pre-alpha and they intend to upgrade to Unity 5, in any case), but it is hard to summon even a minimal level of hype for yet another bland, 80s fantasy setting. *sigh*

I'm expectantly waiting for more details on the project. Game mechanics look good (even a bit too ambitious maybe?), so it could turn into something very interesting. If i can resist my urge to cleanse all hobbits/elves/dwarves, that is...

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm quite fed up with these generic settings, to be honest. The game looks really interesting, but there are only so many elves (dark/wooden/white/special-snowflakes/etc), hobbits (?), dwarves and such that one can ignore before it gets to the saturation point. I wish some of these newer developers would go for something a little bit different... I absolutely ADORED the setting in Banner Saga, so it is possible in my opinion to do something different even in the oft-visited vein of nordic theme-parks (let's be honest here, every single one of these table top games, books and cRPGs steals ideas from or is influenced by parts of that mythology, from Tolkien to the latest Ageing Dragon: Fetchquisition; it all got mixed into this amorphous blob that includes every imaginable cliché, recycled over and over again, probably because it is the "safest" general setting to go with).

It's not their fault, really. Most human being have trouble gettig out of their "comfort zone", even in gaming issues.

If you make a study you'd be appaled at the number of people who don't get sick of playing with the same gay elves, killing the old ugly, smelly orcs and vanquishing the same old generic evil sorceror/warlord/demon.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hate Czechs. I hate Indie Developers. I hate Nostalgia even more. I can't eat as much as I'd like to vomit.
I hate Betrayel at Krondor. I despise Realms of Arkania. And Isometric Turn Based Combat...

I... I... will be able to get a kitchen for that new flat when I don't stop donating to crap like this.

Here! Take my gorram money and leave me be.

:argh:

edit:
See? So anger much, grammar all gets f*cked up too!

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That fucking inventory system sounds exactly like what I always wanted inventory systems to be like in RPGs.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I've just upgraded my pledge from 9$ to 35$ after seeing the soundtrack teaser

This tune is so sweet

:takemymoney:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They have reached $6K finally, 10% of the goal. The good news is funding keeps accelerating, Kicktraq now reports $62K 'trending toward'.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, out of all Realms of Arkania titles they were inspired by "Shadows over Riva" - the third one which did not have map exploration. I think it was probably the weakest one, despite having better graphics than the first.

Personally, I could never get into Elder Scrolls/Morrowind/Skyrim. This looks quite a lot like those, so I hope the isometric grid-based combat will make a difference. The generic story does not inspire though.

First person exploration with good environmental 3D art? Turn based isometric combat on a hexagonal grid? Fucking sold.

Not crazy about this dialogue up-close, though.

DoA_Team21_Dungeons_of_Aledorn_KS_Dialog.jpg

Don't make us sit through this ugly shit, man.

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if we bring this to their attention if we can get some other devs to give this a shoutout.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Heh. They're using different apostrophes for possessive and contractive purposes, and one of them is upside down. Crazy foreigners.

I pledged above early bird, and they didn't even have to send me a message begging me to increase my pledge if at all possible, but it doesn't look like it's going to help.

Viata

Arcane
I'd give all my money if they changed the medieval setting to a futuristic one. I just want a blobber with a futuristic setting. Be it cyberpunk or not, I don't care, just want something different(in this subgenre, of course).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd offer them to proofread their writing for free, cause right now, it just sucks, and I want this to be good because everything else pushes exactly the right buttons.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it's better someone proofread it before they record some Engrish into the game.

Warrior: "What happened?"

Ranger: "Someone set up us the spell"

Evil Lich: "AH AH AH!
How are you heroes?
All your dungeon are belong to us.
You are on the way to destruction!"

Warrior: "What you say?"

Evil Lich: "You have no chance to survive make your time"

allyourbase.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom