Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeons of Aledorn, an indie RPG inspired by Krondor and Arkania, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dungeons of Aledorn; Team 21

In between all the major Kickstarters from industry veterans making a play for our nostalgia dollars this year, an unknown Czech indie developer by the name of Team 21 has surfaced with an "Old School Hardcore RPG" Kickstarter of their own. It's called Dungeons of Aledorn, and it's inspired by 90s classics such as Betrayal at Krondor and the Realms of Arkania series, with first person exploration and isometric turn-based tactical combat. Here's the pitch video (two of them, actually) and overview:

Dungeons of Aledorn (DoA) is an RPG game that brings back several time-tested principles of the classics into a single fantasy release. DoA is being created by and for hardcore gamers who appreciate games with a high challenge level.

As we were deciding what kind of game DoA should be, we searched for inspiration in the classics of this nowadays rare game genre. Therefore, we turned to the best of the best while designing DoA - Betrayal at Krondor, Realms of Arcania: Shadows over Riva, Might & Magic, King's Bounty and the Fallout series. In addition, our game bears many features similar to the popular pen & paper RPGs based on the D&D, Gurps and DrD (Czech equivalent of D&D) rules.

DoA players can expect a balanced combination of puzzles, branched dialogs options, tactical turn-based combat, quest-solving and last but not least an intriguing and complex RPG-system.

The rest of the pitch describes the game's features in extreme detail, and a tech demo is also available. Team 21 are seeking only $60,000 to make Dungeons of Aledorn a reality, and a minimum pledge of just $9 will get you a copy if they succeed. Let's hope they don't fall between the cracks.

Well, compared to the *other* Kickstarter campaign getting attention around here, these guys look like they actually know what they're doing... Backed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cross posting from the other thread, for the hell of it-

So the tech demo is basically two combat scenarios, one aboard a ship vs. pirates, and the other in a cave versus skeletons.

The pirate one was pretty easy, especially because you have a mage who can freeze opponents for a couple of turns and another mage with fireball AoE, you also had a rogue and a fighter type.
There don't seem to be Attacks of a port unity implemented yet, but flanking, counterattacking and backstabbing are in. And yes, the battle field is within the same exploration area.

So, not much to go on really, but it looks okay.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Too bad about the "maybe DRM" stance. :negative:

Team21 said:
Hello everyone! We've listened to what you're saying, and we can now confirm that there WILL be a DRM free version of Dungeons of Aledorn! So please, help us get to the goal and don't forget to tell your friends about this Kickstarter campaign!

----

YES, there will be a DRM free version of DoA!

So did anyone find any information about whether or not there will be actual dungeon exploration in this game? It might sound like a weird question (what with the name and all) but I only found information on story, combat, overland travel, etc. but nothing wrt. dungeons.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Too bad about the "maybe DRM" stance. :negative:

Team21 said:
Hello everyone! We've listened to what you're saying, and we can now confirm that there WILL be a DRM free version of Dungeons of Aledorn! So please, help us get to the goal and don't forget to tell your friends about this Kickstarter campaign!

----

YES, there will be a DRM free version of DoA!

Nice!
:yeah:

deuxhero

Arcane
"Fulfill the destiny"

You know it's epic when you fulfill the definite article destiny instead of a personal one (I don't have any problems with them not being native English speakers, but I seriously hope they accounted for the cost of a professional translator in their budget).

The artstyle looks a bit inconsistent: The caves and outdoor vistas look great, but the towns and people have weird texturing. Could just be them being at early stages.

When I read first person exploration I thought it meant bloober out of battle like the goldbox series. Was pretty surprised to see free movement. Interested to see how they pull that off.

Xorazm

Cipher
Opens video.

Name drops Betrayal at Krondor.

Closes video.

Backs.

19 seconds now standing as the fastest I've ever been sold on a pitch.

(honestly I'd probably end up backing some kind of salad spinner on Kickstarter if they manage to work in a reference to BaK)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Opens video.

Closes video.

Backs.

(honestly I'd probably end up backing some kind of salad spinner on Kickstarter if they manage to work in a reference to BaK)
You wouldn't be the only one.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Opens video.

Closes video.

Backs.

I dunno. Krondor was amazing, but I think Betrayal at Antara showed it wasn't the battle system that made it so.

naossano

Cipher
"We wanted to avoid filling the game with "empty open-world filler" areas between the important locations as an excuse to increase the games “size.” This way you’ll be able to quickly travel between locations."

cartoon-love-gif.gif

Although many features and design philosopy seems great, it seems definitely not a game for storyfag.

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
Seriously you fucking scrubs.... I mean, I see you fucking retards throw money at all kinds of fucking bullshit... if you guys aren't lining up like fucking gazelles for this? Well, you aren't worthy to fucking post here. Piss off to RPG watch or whatever console fucking game site you like.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously you fucking scrubs.... I mean, I see you fucking retards throw money at all kinds of fucking bullshit... if you guys aren't lining up like fucking gazelles for this? Well, you aren't worthy to fucking post here. Piss off to RPG watch or whatever console fucking game site you like.

I would.
But I'm saving my money for the next Grimoire funding.

giphy.gif

Explorerbc

Arcane
Ok, so I finally decided to back my first kickstarter. I hope this turns out to be good.

kazgar

Arcane
$9 is a bit of a bargain, but offering so many early birds at that price means they've actually forgone 5% of the full total they're after.

Good luck!

DemonKing

Arcane
I stumbled on this while sitting around waiting for a colleague to turn up - for $9 it's not exactly a risk so...BACKED!

There are so many decent to good CRPGS coming out nowadays through kickstarter that I've barely touched any FPS or RTS games in over a year. Long may it continue.

This game is topping my list, along with Ultima Ascendant, which still has me skeptical, sadly. I am hoping you are able to craft, harvest herbs, and feed yourself, in first-person real time; as well as interact with barrels, physics, and puzzles, even lifting objects and searching containers to set up cover before luring enemies into turn-based combat. I, also, prefer hexes. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom