Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dungeonmans - heroic adventure roguelike

Galaad

Novice
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=114781779

http://www.dungeonmans.com

So, the Alpha of the roguelike lite with a strange name and some humor will be released on the 27th...and they're almost greenlighted. Just need a few more vote. I figured i'd post this here since a few people here may be interested, or want to make fun of it.

There's also a free preview if anyone wants to check it out...It has some interested ideas and I found it pretty fun despite the name.
Though be warned the demo is dated.

Steam Greenlight page:
(If you want to vote for the project)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=114781779

KS Update:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...adventure-roguelike/posts/718740?ref=activity

Preview:
(dated of june last year)
http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=290

Last edited by a moderator:

Comte

Humor eh I hope I there are no "I took an arrow to the knee" jokes.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Ohai another game with 'Dungeon' in its title!
I hope you will fail to be greenlit and the guy who came up with this name will be thrown into the writers' purgatory.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Get ready for a lawsuit from Videlectrix, since the name of this game easily infringes on the "Thy Dungeonman" franchise.

getter77

Augur
The game is pretty nice actually, with the humor being not something overly there to interfere with the general mayhem and loot scouring. Largely, it is a love letter to Castle of the Winds specifically, as opposed to the usual suspects invoked.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So... how is the release? I see it on Steam now and am considering it.

getter77

Augur
Release is solid, dev is hard at it on post-release support/patching and whatnot---all signs point to this falling squarely into the Actually Successful Kickstarter heap.

nomask7

Arcane
After 12 hours of playing, seems like a good but not great, noob-friendly rogue-like. I like the idea of the academy that you can improve in order to get advantages that you can use with later characters. You can put heroic weapons into a box that new characters can use straight away, no level restrictions. Amount of stat points available for a new character can be increased. Scrolls and potions can be pre-identified after improving library and chemist. This basically allows you to skip some early content or at least grind faster initially.

The game is user friendly and at first addictive. Alas, dungeon variety isn't very good, basically every dungeon in early game at least is the same (not sure what counts as early game or mid game anyway), one or two may have a different texture, but the monsters are the same or harder versions of the same old, same old. A bit more investment in art resources and monster design, in variety generally, would make this game seem a lot better. Everything being the same kind of kills the mood and the motivation to explore.

Also, unlike in ADOM, there's really not much you can do in early game except the same shit as before, again because all the dungeons are the same except for difficulty level. There's really nothing interesting or inventive or any dungeon that stands out from the rest there. Well there are road blocks that are different and that you crush to get village store upgrades apparently, but the dungeons - the main meat of the game - seem to be generic.

No level scaling though. You can breeze your way through the map into areas that are way beyond your ability to handle. But the expected way to play the game seems to be grind, grind, and grind so you can move further into east/south and grind some more. My current char is level 7 or 8 or something and I feel like I have to go through all dungeons in my level range before moving on. The bosses tend to be difficulty spikes, I don't dare tackle them without a couple of (lesser) potions of champion or some way of escaping the fight, if then.

Dungeons have this weird feature where they start out easy, and then the fourth level is finally a challenge, or they start out OK and then become too hard. Usually you have to either breeze through the early levels (fourth being the last level), or you have to escape when reaching level four, especially before reaching the boss.

It's a fun little game, and there isn't anything recent that is like it, but it could easily have been better.

getter77

Augur
There's still at least one more good sized update in the works after the several that have it in the current state---so fair odds some stuff will get tuned up even moreso.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bought this during the Steam Sale, gotta say it's a lot better than this thread gives it credit for. Maybe it was the years of patches and post-release support, but I'm having a lot of fun.

It's not something as deep as ToME or Stone Soup, but it's definitely way more complex than casual roguelikes like Dungeons of Dredmore. Boss battles are interesting, enemies have different mechanics and powers, there's a lot of variety and the pixel art is great. My only issue with it so far is the lack of build diversity.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
This game got a large update today.

If anyone wants to get into a very fun roguelike, this game is it.

My favourite roguelikes are SAngband, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Troubles of Middle Earth (formerly the former, but I had so much fun with it back in the day), and Dungeonmans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom