Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Dungeon Siege 3 Announced

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Heartless Squall said:
Excellent franchise, excellent news.

They're very underrated around here, as it seems... Fortunately Obsidian will make DS3 and then the Codex will love it.
Ok, who's troll alt is this?

Greeting, Dark Underlord. What's an "alt"?

Am I an alternative poster? :)

Don't know what you're talking about, I'm new around here.

madbringer

Arcane
Heartless Squall said:
Greeting, Dark Underlord. What's an "alt"?

Am I an alternative poster? :)

Don't know what you're talking about, I'm new around here.

Ding_Chunqiu.jpg

Radisshu

Prophet
Square... and Obsidian... together...?

Making Dungeon Siege?

This was really fucking unexpected.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Radisshu said:
Square... and Obsidian... together...?

Making Dungeon Siege?

This was really fucking unexpected.
square, obsidian, and chris taylor, actually.
at least it sounds better than what taylor had in mind originally..
chris taylor said:
I am done with multi-character parties; I really think that it's all going to be about a single hero. It's too much to manage.
obsidian said:
Features
* Recruit companions with unique personalities, abilities and views on the world around them.
* Players will have weighty decisions to make that will impact their alliances, enemies and the culmination of the story.

c&c in dungeon siege? wtf...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nah I'm pretty sure even the staunchest Obsidian defender is going to stay away from this one.

ElectricOtter

if someone told me "SO GUISE OBSIDIAN AND SQUARE ENIX ARE MAKING MAKE DUNGEON SIEGE 3", I'd say they're full of bullshit

now i'm just sad :cry:

Whisperer

Novice
first lines from Uwe Boll DS movie :

Muriella: I knew you'd come.
Gallian: I told you I would.
Muriella: I mean, I felt it. I felt it before you came.

further lines :

Duke Farrow: Tarish! Prepare your troops to ride! Hordes of Krug are ransacking the land! Oh, the sun is blistering my skin.
Commander Tarish: What is this nonsense you speak?

last but not least :

Norick: Now give me the chicken.
Solana: [laughing] Don't give him the chicken.
Norick: Give me the chicken!
[Holds chicken making chomping noises]
Norick: Arf! Arf! Arf!

MetalCraze

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
obsidian said:
Features
* Recruit companions with unique personalities, abilities and views on the world around them.
* Players will have weighty decisions to make that will impact their alliances, enemies and the culmination of the story.

c&c in dungeon siege? wtf...

Well there are "c&c" in AP - so why not Dungeon Siege.
You choose which companion to romance out of two and the other one gets killed (companions part of the hype) so you get the different strings of the flavour text (impact on culmination part of the hype) and fight red enemies instead of green ones in the exactly same place (impact on the alliances part of the hype).
It really doesn't take any kind of a talented designer to do something as simple as that (not mentioning primitive anime-ish characters AP had) and I heard this kind of stuff is hot on the Codex right now. Dungeon Siege 3 will have just that.

Twinkle

Liturgist
I already smell the fail of epic proportions - even Chris Taylor doesn't want to touch this turd himself. That speaks in volumes considering that GPG themselves haven't released a single decent game since SC: FA.

And when DS3 will be released in barely playable state all the blame will fall on evil japanese overlords.

Good news and bad news.

Good news is that Obsidian has about thirty nine RPGs that are in development, recently cancelled, or planned. This must be a world record.

Bad news is that Obsidian games are buggity shit half the time. They have ideas that don't mesh and when they do they are usually encumbered by some crippling gameplay features. Combination bad news is the omniscient taint of Chris Taylor being channeled.

Remember that the Wheel of Time series is also under development at Obsidian. That might be the true sequel to NWN 2 that you are all talking about. Interestingly this game has a set of independent designers who are somehow in charge.

Obsidian + Dungeon Siege + Square + Rpgcodex = Comedy gold

Oh well, I sorta liked the first Dungeon Siege with its little to none gameplay elements so even Obsidian can't mess this up...

DemonKing

Arcane
I've given up hope on Obsdian ever producing anything really worthwhile - I think they still have the potential to produce decent enough CRPG stories, but it's clear that their programming team is pretty awful.

New Vegas might be alright, but only because they'll have inherited a pre-built engine. I don't have big hopes for DS3 at all.

Since this thread is too logn for me to read in full, I may be rehashing an old point. . . .

But has anyone observed the irony in the fact that Obsidian went off and formed an indie studio and have ended up producing incredibly constrained, licensed properties left and right?

I mean, what is the upside to working for an indie if the indie is going to be so pathetically desperate as to take only licensed property? It's not that MOTB is inherently bad (it's their best game), or even KOTOR2 (which I quite enjoyed), but presumably if the leads had been at Bioware, they could've had a hand in shaping the original IPs in a more satisfying way. And they certainly wouldn't be stuck making Aliens RPG, WOT RPG, Dungeon Siege for Square Enix, etc.

I'd speculate that they'll do Harry Potter RPG next, but the truth is that their games are so mediocre lately it's unlikely that anyone would trust them with such a valuable IP. They're more likely to get the next Nightwatch game or something. . . .

I played Dungeon Siege 1 for a while...noticed bows were much more useful than melee, and gave up once I was killing every monster instatnly with a 6-man volley of death. Space Siege didn't run well on my pc for some reason.

I'm thinking of trying DS2 to see what changed.

Clockwork Knight said:
I played Dungeon Siege 1 for a while...noticed bows were much more useful than melee, and gave up once I was killing every monster instatnly with a 6-man volley of death. Space Siege didn't run well on my pc for some reason.

I'm thinking of trying DS2 to see what changed.

The only thing that changed is a 2 at the end of the name, and no Ultima 5 remake mod made for it.

How come this bloody game keeps getting sequels, when much better games have all died off? Very annoying.

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought #2 was better than #1 - the NPCs had slightly more personality and the gameplay (very) occassionally required you to pause to issue orders, plus the splatter was goretastic.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Multi-headed Cow said:
How dare you insult the rich lore of my video game! I'll have you know it was so well received a movie was made of it! That's more than can be said about Bioware RPGs!
I was going to point out how Beth raped the Fallout setting and introduced lots of stupid shit and that Obsidian will (probably) improve Dungeon Siege's setting. I was also going to point out that I actually care about FO's setting in contrast to DS's... But Uwe Boll convinced me. If Obsidian are not faithful to the movie they can all go and commit suicide right away. Because otherwise the millions of rabid Boll fans will come after them and their families and that would be a fate worse than death.

Really? Some reviews said 2 had an actual story, and better gameplay (you actually do things instead of simply navigating through trash mobs).
They both have an actual story. What else would the movie have been based off of otherwise?
DS2's gameplay is worse because you have to constantly use shitty skills. Watching your party raping enemies because the tactics settings you chose was even better in DS1 than in DA:O.

And now I feel like singing:

Whose alt, whose alt,
Whose alt, whose alt,
Who is alt, who is alt,
who is alt, who is alt.

Were all old, were all old,
Were all old, were all old,
We are all old, we are all old,
We are all old, we are all old.

Yeehaw!

Lothers

Scholar
Cool, I like h'n's. Diablo, Titan's Quest, Dungeon Siege - fun games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom