Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Dungeon Siege 3 Announced

What's with all this dumping franchises to Obsidians?

What next, quake? oogh, that'd be awesome. And since Beths have ID...

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
circ said:
SURE IS A LOT OF DS HATE IN THIS HEAR PLACE Y'ALL.

I liked DS 1 and 2

Too bad the VO was total shit

27.gif

Dny

Educated
elkston said:
Never thought I'd see the words "Obsidian" and "Dungeon Siege" in the same sentence.

New Vegas didn't ring a bell ? LMAO.
I'd expect the next Obsidian game to be a sequel or taking inspiration from Gears of War. With C&C of course.

Take Obsidian for what they are, second rate game developers who couldn't code their way out of an original, successful, innovative game of their own. They need to make sequels (NWN2, KOTOR2, FO3:NV and now DS3) or take heavy inspiration from their competitor (AP <> ME). They will always follow the trends instead of setting them. Twenty years from now when the company will go bankrupt no one will remember their name or their pathetic games but people will still remember Bioware and play Baldur's Gate just like some are still playing the Ultima series. Obsidian will fall into oblivion.

1eyedking

Erudite
They wouldn't miss for anything the opportunity to make a game with a "3" on its name (and that's the reason why Space Siege failed, mark my words - you haven't forgotten about Space Siege, have you?).

I hope it stays true to the spirit of the originals, may they carry on the glorious struggle and all that.

Donkey Balls

Educated
Dny said:
Take Obsidian for what they are, second rate game developers who couldn't code their way out of an original, successful, innovative game of their own. They need to make sequels (NWN2, KOTOR2, FO3:NV and now DS3) or take heavy inspiration from their competitor (AP <> ME). They will always follow the trends instead of setting them. Twenty years from now when the company will go bankrupt no one will remember their name or their pathetic games but people will still remember Bioware and play Baldur's Gate just like some are still playing the Ultima series. Obsidian will fall into oblivion.
Damn straight, bro. My thoughts exactly.

Jason

chasing a bee
Fucking ridiculous.

On the brighter side (there must be one, right?), Dungeon Siege is such a generic framework that there's theoretically plenty of room for creativity. Make sure it's a fantasy ARPG with decent graphics, loot, and "Dungeon Siege" in the title and the rest can be Obsidian from the ground up.

Hey, at least I'm trying.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
When did Squarenix start to work with western developers? I didn't get the memo. I know they bought Eidos, but that was already quite surprising. Does that mean they're now definitely invading our market?

Multi-headed Cow

Jason said:
Fucking ridiculous.

On the brighter side (there must be one, right?), Dungeon Siege is such a generic framework that there's theoretically plenty of room for creativity. Make sure it's a fantasy ARPG with decent graphics, loot, and "Dungeon Siege" in the title and the rest can be Obsidian from the ground up.

Hey, at least I'm trying.
So it's not cool when Bethesda does it but it's ok if Obsidian does it? :rpgcodex:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ogg said:
When did Squarenix start to work with western developers?
when they saw that fallout 3 sold more in its first week than their last couple of games combined.
Multi-headed Cow said:
So it's not cool when Bethesda does it but it's ok if Obsidian does it? :rpgcodex:
when obsidian does what? there is no dungeon siege setting they could rape.

Multi-headed Cow

How dare you insult the rich lore of my video game! I'll have you know it was so well received a movie was made of it! That's more than can be said about Bioware RPGs!

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DS1 was one of the worst games I ever played, its was basically moving trough long corridor and killing poorly designed enemies. The second was actually quite decent for h&s with loads of secrets, actual story, skill system and far more interesting world design. Unfortunately when you reach the desert area the game goes back to its roots and falls apart.

This news is really surprising and disappointing, but I hope that they will use some b team to work on it while other do something actually worthwhile.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
What's with all this dumping franchises to Obsidians?

Do you know any other studio that will agree to churn out half-baked games every 12 months based on franchises nobody cares about anymore for food?

Dny said:
They will always follow the trends instead of setting them.
Add to that their fanboys seriously believing that they are supporting a tr00 underground developer who sticks it to The Man and you have an Apple of videogames.
Also AP was even less creative than ME. Despite all the stereotypical sci fi of ME it had a more or less new setting.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Multi-headed Cow said:
How dare you insult the rich lore of my video game! I'll have you know it was so well received a movie was made of it! That's more than can be said about Bioware RPGs!
i still have a hard time deciding what was less enjoyable... dungeon siege 1 or boll's movie..

MRSA

Scholar
Since Dungeon Siege 1 was a great success...
And Dungeon Siege 2 even more so...

Now they decide that a second sequel is a good idea... :lol:

WTF is this, I don't even

These guys are morans! Wasting money and time on one of the shitiest
franchises ever? And when everybody not remove their new shity game from inventory, are they gonna blame bucaneers for their low sales?

MRSA is disappoint

Turjan

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
i still have a hard time deciding what was less enjoyable... dungeon siege 1 or boll's movie..
The game had at least good music and served as a basis for an awesome Ultima V remake.

Excellent franchise, excellent news.

They're very underrated around here, as it seems... Fortunately Obsidian will make DS3 and then the Codex will love it.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is probably the first we'll see of the Onyx engine as well. If this is Ziets' project, and they make something completely different from the first two games it could be somewhat interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom