Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats released

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't know how your facing bonuses work for shields +range modifier, but assuming its in 45 degree arc segments: 1 AP per 1 - 90 deg change, change facing via the < > keys in 45 degree increments.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Vault Dweller while I played wonderful Dungeon Rats, and even before I started, one thought came to my mind - would it bepossible toretroactively implement some, or full new mechanic from DR to AoD?
Maybe not now, but on some anniversary maybe.
On one hand it seems pretty logical, on the other hand it can require a huge amout of work to rebalans fights.
Sorry if someone asked this before.

Atchodas

Augur
I think VD mentioned at some point that next AoD update will feature all the new stuff DR has , but i would not go as far as expecting combat rebalance , imo AoD combat is fine considering you always solo and have more skills to invest in

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
VD should implement in his next game a system of injuries similar to the one used in Battle Brothers, with arts and all.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The ones we are most interested in porting are:

- Use belts from the main interface.
- Placement phase.
How will you implement the placement phase without breaking some fights? Like there are such obvious bottleneck spots in some area in AoD that can be even more easily reached with placement. Some doorways for example.

DR was designed with that feature in mind, but aod wasnt. In some ways we cannot predict, it might give player unfair advantages.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The ones we are most interested in porting are:

- Use belts from the main interface.
- Placement phase.
How will you implement the placement phase without breaking some fights? Like there are such obvious bottleneck spots in some area in AoD that can be even more easily reached with placement. Some doorways for example.

DR was designed with that feature in mind, but aod wasnt. In some ways we cannot predict, it might give player unfair advantages.
Not every fight has to have a placement phase though? And some could be very restrictive.

Those are the features I'd like to see most anyway. Facing bonus would probably be a huge buff to enemies. The balance impact is pretty interesting too. Should be a significant buff to two-handers and swords/crossbows in particular (equip both 2h and 1h at the same time? yes please)

Don Peste

Arcane
Man this game is hard. But satisfying.
I decided to start on Murderous Psychopath (mainly because that's The Way It's Meant to be Played™, and because this game is worth it), and without any previous knowledge (not yet!) of the AoD system. It's costing me a lot of blood, I'm basically dying and dying over and over again, trying to find the perfect combination of positioning, weapons, armor, drugs, poison, attacks and luck (a lot of luck I think) that finally get me to a glorious agonizing victory at the end of every encounter.
I'm a bit afraid of not being able to hoard enough bombs and salve (to stop bleeding) to beat the ending, but I hope I'm still on time. After almost 6 hours I finally reached the second level (just after Barca the asshole) and fucking finally killed the thugs that awaited me there. I ragequitted quite a few times and I #%&@ a lot, but I DID IT. I don't know what's next, I'm looking forward to it...

Here I am on one of my lasts tries. I'm the one on the left, with a spear. I can only have 2 companions. I'm wondering now if I should have maxed Charisma to get 3, but since one can even solo the game... Anyway, I feel a bit of a wimp, so Marcus and Quintus have been doing most of the hard work. I love Marcus. Specially his hammer. And he stayed with me when Barca decided to kill me, so he is a bro. Quintus may be old but he has all my respect. He is a veteran soldier and he has more than proved that he is still able to swing a sword.

So, Quintus slashed the fucker with the spear, and he is already cornering that coward throwing axes. Marcus is about to crush the one with the big shield. And I know that even if I don't kill the fucker in front of me, I will be able to resist enough for Marcus to come and knock him down.
Yes, this is almost done. We used poison, acid and cocaine properly, one is already down, just hang in there.
Then, turn for the hijoeputa gonorrea with the crossbow. And...
BANG!
I take 22 hit points or whatever with a single bolt. I'm out. DEAD. Fucking again!! GROAARGH. Avenge me amigos!

2A5D0DB1C286D5348723F68676ACCDA47316EE6F

No problem. Don't worry. I'll do it this time. The store is going to close and nothing opens tomorrow (Sunday), but I know I'll do it this time.

I know my strategy is perfect (use everything + luck), so I'm just going to repeat it.

And it's just down to one!
Quintus is quite alright, but I'm barely holding on, and Marcus is already mumbling some prayer. I know he was bleeding from a bolt, but I can see now it somehow stopped. I didn't know that could happen.

So we corner him again. My turn.
I can make 3 fast attacks. It's his turn after that. And it's clear that we won't be able to resist another attack.
He's got only 9 HP left. I poke him 3 times with my spear...

8DF6A70D1836F3A2024D582D6E54E981CE4B69E1

YES! Just enough to open up his belly! Screw you!!

8FC5F44A4FA4201965BCDBEE49D40FCA2F747EDA

I stopped here. I can see Marcus is still around, but I couldn't see Quintus. I hope he will join me again...

Don Peste

Arcane
The second combat with Roxana is impossible to beat.
Quintus has 4 HP left. Marcus and I are at half HP. I don't have any healing resources left. The other recruits are shit.
The End.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I was also in the same shituation, without any healing balm or alchemical components to create some. My party was serioulsy wounded (Marcus only had 1HP, and Ismail 2 HP), and my only choice was to meet and greet the Emperor or to clear the last room of the ancient facility (frustrating knowing what lies after), but both ways led my party to a certain death.
Just accepted the situation with a smile on my face...

Last edited:

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
But the game is easy actually... Systems are simple, so either 'get it' or get killed over and over.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The game is much more dificult now. I think the changes in abilities past 5 were too harsh.

Don Peste

Arcane
What I wonder is: Why would the game warn me that the HP I choose when I create my character will be definitive, but it wouldn't inform me that I may end up in an corner with 1 HP and no means to heal? I don't understand the logic here.

Everything prepared me for a very tough fight, that's true, from the difficulty name to all the demotivational rants, but I feel nothing warned me about dead ends. Dead ends that force you to restart your game. Just like in the old Sierra or Delphine games. I thought that was always considered... a bad design decision. :o

Was it so wrong that I thought that, if I burn all my rations and salve, I will most definitely be able to go back to camp (Because it's a camp, right?) and sleep until I heal? I'm doing this since Eye of the Beholder.
Well, you can't rest and heal here. But that's ok, I saw this in other games, like FO3 Wanderers Edition. :lol:
Then what? Trade with someone? No, restart your game.

But I wouldn't ask for a change in this mechanic. It's part of its gameplay. But I can only see this now that I'm breathing my last breath on this goddamned rats' alley! :argh:

The game has tutorial messages. Why not one just before your first meal that says "Hey, be careful, you may want to save that Mars bar for later. FOOD IS NOT INFINITE".
Yes, of course food is not infinite. Nor alchemy ingredients. And plants don't grow up again after ten minutes. But only with this one additional tutorial message...

After that, if you want, it's all git gud, try again, craft a better weapon, lower the difficulty, or reload your game.

But you didn't warn me.:( I'm prepared to spend extra time to beat the game. But I can't throw all that time down the sink.

In conclusion, don't change anything, just add one more tutorial message*. Well I guess you could also have a manual, old school RPGs used to have manuals... ;)
Or an official wiki? A couple of pages with the bare basics? Not everyone is a AoD veteran beta tester!

*Because there wasn't one, right? Did I overlook it? Paranoia now...

Urbanolo

Augur
There is a second fight with Roxana? I always killed her in the first fight, if you kill everyone except her does she flee or what?

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There is a second fight with Roxana? I always killed her in the first fight, if you kill everyone except her does she flee or what?

She shoots you some more in the second fight. Maybe a third. If you let her live you'll find her after a few more fights where she's tied up, let her go and you've gained a new waifu. She's pretty deadly with a crossbow, too.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane

She shoots you some more in the second fight. Maybe a third. If you let her live you'll find her after a few more fights where she's tied up, let her go and you've gained a new waifu. She's pretty deadly with a crossbow, too.
endure her 3 times and you get her as a waifu. Crossbow wielding, one army waifu
Wait, what? She participate in the third fight?

Modron

Arcane
2 fights with her attacking you, a third and fourth without her participating and then you can take her down from the cross if you're not playing solo that is because then you'll allow to her to continue admiring the view from up there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom