Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Released!

Dungeon Rats, our second RPG, is now available. It’s an RPG focused almost exclusively on combat for players who like turn-based combat in general and Age of Decadence (our first game) combat in particular, so if you want to fight your way out of a prison mine (or die trying) you've come to the right place.

What to expect?

A combat-focused game with 50 fights. There are no filler fights, so each fight matters and you won’t be able to click your way through them. So if you’re a grizzled veteran of many campaigns, you can beat the game in about 10 hours. If you’re a new player, it can easily take you 25-30 hours. The first player who beat the game (and who’s much better at it than me) did it in 27 hours.

Keep in mind it’s neither a sequel nor expansion to the Age of Decadence. It’s a combat game without social skills, multiple ways to complete quests, and branching questlines.

Why this game? Why not another game like AoD?

Our next full scale RPG is the “colony ship game”, currently in pre-production, which means designing the systems, fleshing out the setting and locations, and defining these locations visually. Basically, we can’t start working on it until we have the “blueprints” to follow.

This gave us a year (10 months development cycle, 2 months of post release support) to put together a combat game using the AoD engine, systems, and assets. Doing anything else (new engine, different systems, non-combat aspects, etc) would have easily doubled or tripled the development time. Considering that party-based combat was the most requested feature, we built a game around it, giving you something different instead of going for more of the same.

Difficulty levels?

At lower difficulty levels your enemies get a THC (to-hit chance) penalty (30% on Easy, 15% on Normal, no penalty on Hard), which makes it harder to hit you and greatly increases your party’s life expectancy. THC also affects the combat AI, so your enemies won’t be using fancier attacks against you.

Party mechanics?

Your Charisma will determine how many people you can recruit: min 1, max 3, so your party size will range from 2 to 4. Not everyone will be eager to join you; some NPCs will require convincing (Charisma checks). You will have full control over your party members once they join your party. All skill points you earn will be divided between the party members, so a bigger party will level up more slowly.

Can I make my own party?

No. You will create your own character and recruit other convicts. Party members are a resource much like gear and skill points. You acquire it slowly, swapping one party member for another or replacing fallen brethren when an opportunity comes up. This approach fits both the prison setting and Charisma-driven setup. Keep in mind that losing party members is normal on Hard.

Solo Mode? Ironman?

You can select Ironman and/or Solo mode when you start a new game. If you choose the Solo mode your CHA will be lowered to 2 to give you two extra and much needed stat points. You won’t be able to recruit any companions.

Do I need to buy or play AoD first?

No. It’s a stand-alone game that takes place before the events in AoD. However, some comments and stories will make more sense to those who played AoD a couple of times.

Is there a story?

There is the story of your escape and the prison’s hierarchy. There is also a background story that began long before you were imprisoned. That story and its conclusion will expand the lore of the gameworld.

Dialogues? Text adventures?

There are many talkative characters; each fight has a text intro, so you aren’t just moving from one fight to the next; there is quite a bit of exploration with text-adventure elements and stat-checks.

Whom are we fighting?

Various prisoners (unaffiliated convicts, gang members – we have three gangs running the prison and their overlord who calls himself the Emperor), prison guards, legionaries sent to clean up the mess, which started long before you arrived, mechanical constructs, and various oversized local flora and fauna.

If you have any questions, ask and we'll be more than happy to answer.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hf3ayP8.png

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Mark Richard

Arcane
I wonder if it's better to graduate from Dungeon Rats to Age of Decadence or vice versa. I've been cautiously circling around Age of Decadence for months and have yet to take the plunge.

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
My mouse cursor seems to be moving/sliding around randomly in game...Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Edit: Steam version.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the music is very good.

i like AoD's music, but its battle music was very underwhelming.
this is alot better. i hope there are more than 1 battle themes.

daveyd

Savant
Bought on GOG. Won't have time to play it (or Eisnenwald: Blood of November) until Sunday when my vacation starts.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
First satisfied customer (not sure if serious)

Made arbalist, got stabbed in the face
Made swordsman, got stabbed in the face
Made axeman, got stabbed in the face
Listen, I've played plenty of hardcore rpgs and not; beat every one of them; I've never run from a challenge and always playing on the highest difficulty, but this game is just ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.
There is no better word for it, ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.
How come that I am, the mighty hero, the dragonslayer, getting eaten by a ♥♥♥♥ing ant over and over again????
How come an experienced man that lived underground for years and who is strong enough to smash three people at a time with his sledgehammer can't kill A ♥♥♥♥ING ANT????
This game is absolutely irrational and I'm not even one of those people who hate on a phantasy game/movie for being alogical.
Do not recomment to play this game, it sucks balls.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ants ate my face, shit game, don't play.

Looking forward to a long session tomorrow, loving the music.

Noticed on the char creation screen, block and dodge say str and dex are the attributes that govern them, but you appear to have shifted it to Con for both (as the Con description says, and in the breakdown it only shows Con contributing to the score). Str and Dex descriptions also say they contribute to block/dodge.

Edit: See Eyestabber's post below, I guess I was looking for "Str" or "Dex" bonus in the breakdown, completely skipped over "Stat" bonus.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom