Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Rats, Iron Tower Studio's Age of Decadence dungeon crawler, officially announced

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Does it mean the game will start by choosing a solo mode with a premade character (or at least no poosibility to build our own CHA) or a party based mode?What if some players want to solo the game with a better CHA score in order to bluff/convince potential ennemies like in the example given by Vince

If you choose "Solo Mode" you can't get any party members at all, CHA is at 2 and can't be improved. In the "normal" game you are free to dump all party members as you see fit (so, for example, you might want to "solo" a couple of fights to get the full SP for your main character). To summarize, yes, you can solo the game with any charisma score, just dump the party members as soon as you get them.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I got some photos of members of the Iron Tower team. Look!

3f4d2295c29cd8d11907b1257fe00c63.jpg
b9e4997848087f6f73db5c6110792b89.jpg
63dda6afad69c11b28edcd1527a20302.jpg

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I wonder if this time we'll get more language versions than English and Russian, this could improve sales greatly. In fact, translating interface only in a combat heavy game could do the trick. Sure, people with zero English/Russian skills wouldn't be able to enjoy Vince's writing anyway but it's not that important in a dungeon crawler.

Vault Dweller and Elhoim
Would you consider adding partial translations to your game or would that be out of the question and only "all or nothing" would interest you?

Jakby ktoś chciał zabrać się za tłumaczenie na polski to jestem skłonny pomóc, chociaż mój angielski jest średniawy. Może właśnie przetłumaczylibyśmy chociaż interfejs/opcje + ewentualnie początek rozgrywki, by zarysować fabułę i pozwolić graczowi poczuć dekadencką atmosferę? Pozwolę sobie zawołać Polaków, jeśli tutaj nie uda się zebrać ekipy to nigdzie się nie uda.
Ninja Destroyer Darth Roxor Jvegi Havoc Manjuice Nutella Zdzisiu Zboj Lamignat Awor Szurkrarz Idiott yellowcake JudasIscariot warpig Bahamut Hellraiser Konjad covr Black_Willow Wise Emperor Exxos Necroscope panzertoter Bitcher1 bonescraper meanwhileInPoland Brzęczyszczykiewicz mikaelis trais Ivar the Boner Storyfag WhiskeyWolf @t Tytus Ptosio Robert Jarzebina Cowboy Moment Malakal Oesophagus lukaszek veevoir SmartCheetah Gangrelrumbler ArtB trais spectre MotherMachinae janior123tlen.pl Krivol Quatlo jcd Dwemer Puzzle Box Black Perkel Veelq bozia2012 Ovg Gerrard hell bovine hoverdog t norolim Jedi Master Radek Urbanolo Elwro MicoSelva DraQ Arthandasjust janior pretty pretty please. Naraya Shape Soul Gepeu Molzey75 Mikeal RationalLunatic Arthandas

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Vault Dweller and Elhoim
Would you consider adding partial translations to your game or would that be out of the question and only "all or nothing" would interest you?
All or nothing, of course. Doing anything else is a recipe for disaster and a wave of refunds and angry reviews.

How much text is in the game? Close to 10% of the overall AoD text?

Goral If the project is realistic - count me in.

jungl

Augur
Age of Decadence was overwhelmingly garbage that took 10 years to make and was less then 10 hours of repetitive skill check gameplay and retarded combat. Hopefully this takes 10 years to make also so the developers have a chance to die before its complete and they have a actual vaporware title to their name.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gothic is also set in a prison you dolt. Granted, it was taken over by the prisoners but I don't think it would be that hard to smuggle some whores in.

Prisons and penal colonies aren't quite the same. :M

norolim

Arcane
I wonder if this time we'll get more language versions than English and Russian, this could improve sales greatly. In fact, translating interface only in a combat heavy game could do the trick. Sure, people with zero English/Russian skills wouldn't be able to enjoy Vince's writing anyway but it's not that important in a dungeon crawler.

Vault Dweller and Elhoim

Jakby ktoś chciał zabrać się za tłumaczenie na polski to jestem skłonny pomóc, chociaż mój angielski jest średniawy. Może właśnie przetłumaczylibyśmy chociaż interfejs/opcje + ewentualnie początek rozgrywki, by zarysować fabułę i pozwolić graczowi poczuć dekadencką atmosferę? Pozwolę sobie zawołać Polaków, jeśli tutaj nie uda się zebrać ekipy to nigdzie się nie uda.

You forgot about me, moron. I do translations for a living and I have experience translating games (AAA and smaller).

How much text is in the game?
I second that. My paid jobs take most of my time, but if the amount of text is not enormous, I will gladly help in my free time.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Thats a long list outing most potato!
:updatedmytxt:

When it comes to translating Im out, dont want to spoil the game even by snippets. Unless translating will start after we get the time to play 7 times.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
1 customizable character seemed like :decline: at first but with the Charisma mechanic and only 2 misc skills it makes sense.

:d1p:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Vault Dweller and Elhoim

You forgot about me, moron. I do translations for a living and I have experience translating games (AAA and smaller).

How much text is in the game?
I second that. My paid jobs take most of my time, but if the amount of text is not enormous, I will gladly help in my free time.

roughly everything the man above said except the 'you forgot about me' part

AbounI

Colonist
Patron

Vault Dweller and Elhoim

Ninja Destroyer Darth Roxor Jvegi Havoc Manjuice Nutella Zdzisiu Zboj Lamignat Awor Szurkrarz Idiott yellowcake JudasIscariot warpig Bahamut Hellraiser Konjad covr Black_Willow Wise Emperor Exxos Necroscope panzertoter Bitcher1 bonescraper meanwhileInPoland Brzęczyszczykiewicz mikaelis trais Ivar the Boner Storyfag WhiskeyWolf @t Tytus Ptosio Robert Jarzebina Cowboy Moment Malakal Oesophagus lukaszek veevoir SmartCheetah Gangrelrumbler ArtB trais spectre MotherMachinae janior123tlen.pl Krivol Quatlo jcd Dwemer Puzzle Box Black Perkel Veelq bozia2012 Ovg Gerrard hell bovine hoverdog t norolim

important statement
Sunfire:
I'm planning to make a multi-language project and share the ready-to-translate files with all who'll up to it, due to Dungeon Rats limited amount of text.
Might be very helpfull :bounce:

Zanzoken

Arcane
If you choose "Solo Mode" you can't get any party members at all, CHA is at 2 and can't be improved. In the "normal" game you are free to dump all party members as you see fit (so, for example, you might want to "solo" a couple of fights to get the full SP for your main character). To summarize, yes, you can solo the game with any charisma score, just dump the party members as soon as you get them.

If there's a Solo mode would it be possible for you guys to also include a Full Party Creation mode?

Not that I wouldn't want to try out a CHA run with your pre-made companions, but rolling my own crew has always been my favorite.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
If there's a Solo mode would it be possible for you guys to also include a Full Party Creation mode?

Not really, two completely different things implementation-wise. Solo mode was just tweaking CHA and placing a variable in the scripts and dialogues. Full party party requires tweaks to the character creation interface (which programming-wise only works for a single character, apart from all the interface changes), expanding the party camp system to take them into account, tweaking the narrative as currently you arrive alone and it's part of the story, and it's not something that we can easily add at this point. Regarding the companions, you are free to develop them in any direction you want, especially the early ones, except for stats (which I worked on making them quite good and varied without going into min-maxing territory). We might consider it at a later point, but it's currently impossible to do at this stage and it was never a part of the original design and goals.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
This might have been the first game since I dont think the RP was not all that amazing in AOD, the way the different stories unfolded and the combat however was great.
Its a really nice idea to make a tactics game with this, hope you guys tweak the animations if you can. Godspeed vault dweller.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity

I remember trying to set up a Polish translation project for AoD on the ITS forums, but then totally vaporewared on it once I decdied that managing shit is simply not my thing and chose to focus on other stuff. Bits and pieces of it should still be in the translation subforum on the ITS website, some of it might be salvageable/useful (or not, it's probably crap.)

I do not have too much free time on my hands, TBH, but I could help out by doing some translation and the occasional editing/proofing. Localizing Dungeon Rats should be comfortably doable by 4-5 people (number adjusted for folks without much experience with that crap) within a reasonable timeframe, once workflow shit's figured out.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

Vault Dweller and Elhoim

Ninja Destroyer Darth Roxor Jvegi Havoc Manjuice Nutella Zdzisiu Zboj Lamignat Awor Szurkrarz Idiott yellowcake JudasIscariot warpig Bahamut Hellraiser Konjad covr Black_Willow Wise Emperor Exxos Necroscope panzertoter Bitcher1 bonescraper meanwhileInPoland Brzęczyszczykiewicz mikaelis trais Ivar the Boner Storyfag WhiskeyWolf @t Tytus Ptosio Robert Jarzebina Cowboy Moment Malakal Oesophagus lukaszek veevoir SmartCheetah Gangrelrumbler ArtB trais spectre MotherMachinae janior123tlen.pl Krivol Quatlo jcd Dwemer Puzzle Box Black Perkel Veelq bozia2012 Ovg Gerrard hell bovine hoverdog t norolim
kurwa how many potatoes do we have here?

I can help a bit too

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Those are only a small fraction, too. Some of our most prestigious potato forums members were shamefully omitted.

These forums seem to exert an inexplicable attraction over Poles and Finns specifically.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Those are only a small fraction, too. Some of our most prestigious potato forums members were shamefully omitted.

These forums seem to exert an inexplicable attraction over Poles and Finns specifically.
Examples? It's not like I can search members via their location (even if they do not hide that they're from Poland). I know I forgot about Jedi Master Radek and Urbanolo and that's it.

Impressions and opinions from a non-neckbeard person who bought but did not finish Age of Decadence and does not like roguelikes but wish I found one I liked:

Pros
+ Website looks awesome. And the content is good too
+ The graphics on the promotional images look way better than the Age of Decadence I played. If that's what the game looks like, nice.
+ I think Iron Tower could really pull this off if they wanted to.
Cons
- I played Age of Decadence despite the combat. I do play turn-based games pretty frequently. Favorites include Final Fantasy Tactics, Arcanum, Realmz, Fallout, FFVI. I would love a game to deliver what I want in a roguelike but I rarely see anything close.
--My biggest beef is always balance, pacing, lack of complexity/creativity, and item progression for combat. For some reason Final Fantasy VI items change game combat more than almost every other game I play, 20 years later (Witcher 3!!). Balance is extremely difficult to get right and I honestly don't know how it's possible. Actions in the games often take way too much time. I want Iron Tower to be as rich as Scrooge McDuff and this game worries my dreams.
- Would agree the name isn't the best and might be a real issue. Definitely possible to judo it with marketing techniques.
- I don't know how costly it would be to change the character portraits but that, for me, has to be one of the highest cost-benefit ratio aspects of every game. If it's cheap, I think it would be the best thing any game can do for itself. Shadowrun Returns looked like it was made by 14 year olds because of this issue. AoD was passable but hard to appreciate and look at for a while. Even Geneforge 1 had so much timeless quality with it's black and white sketch art that was great where it counted---although it was god-awful in other parts. Spiderweb Software knocked it out of the park with Avernum 1 EftP by just having amazing background wallpapers during transitional plot wiritings.

Because I didn't expect this game announcement, I can't believe how interested I am. I played one roguelike obsessively for 14 hours and that was the last time, ever. I hope Iron Tower give the game some real heart to it and that will be a subconcious emulsifier to the otherwise pointlessness of a dungeon crawler. Feeling of "virtuous" victory at the end, introduction with a serious threat that only the heroes can solve....it was such an easy formula during the SNES days but no one even does it anymore, for shame.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Age of decadence just asked to add some companions/longterm mercs/Slaves/Soldiers especially for Praetor (Hero King) and and less so in IG (Solo Hero Warrior Archetype) runs.
day1purchase.png
+M.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom