Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Rats, Iron Tower Studio's Age of Decadence dungeon crawler, officially announced

Drudkh

Learned
My most anticipated crpg of 2016, can't wait

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
From IT forums: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7253.msg146605.html#msg146605

Elhoim/Oscar said:
With a party of 3-4 the early game is easier, but the SP spread gets bigger and bigger as the game goes on, so you have a party of so-so characters, vs a smaller group of much more developed ones. You can compensate it by having CHA 9 and 10 which yields a couple of very good characters, but your player character will be quite weaker in stats (which also makes you lose some exploration opportunities).

We've just finished implementing the solo mode. You get no companions at all, CHA is lowered to 2, but you get 2 extra stat points at character creation (and all the SP to yourself). Combat is quite brutal as positioning bonuses are much higher than AoD. Ironman, solo, murderous psicopath is the ultimate challenge for the game.
I'll try hard with companions first, then solo and lastly iron man (it will most likely take many replays, or I might fail miserably and give up, who knows). Not sure when I'll have the time to play this game though, November is not a good time for me.

Vault Dweller
Have you beaten the game yet?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Would be interested in VD's reasoning for the name. I don't like it and think it sounds bargain bin, but that's subjective; more interesting is that he's eschewed any direct brand connection with AOD.

Otherwise, we knew what was coming, and it sure looks good.

AOD fans are probably gonna buy it anyway and are informed about iron lore's affairs, they don't need the connection. People who hate AOD otoh (and there are probably quite a few) but might like a combat centric version are probably better persuaded not knowing about the connection (at least at first).

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Will buy, no questions asked, even though i'm probably the only one wishing it was party-less. The more time goes by, the less i can be asked managing multiple PCs for the job of one.

On the description it says you can go lone wolf route and you get the same number of skill points to split between your party regardless of the number of members, so I'm assuming playing it without a party is doable.

I can't wait. It's gonna be D1P for me.

Esquilax

Arcane
Also, the joke was already made on Page 2.

Didn't realize it up until now. Should have realized that folks would be quicker on the draw with that joke given the political leanings here.

Will there be prize women like in gothic?

Given that it's set in a prison, there will only be prize men. Anything else would be immersion-breaking.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
On the description it says you can go lone wolf route and you get the same number of skill points to split between your party regardless of the number of members, so I'm assuming playing it without a party is doable.

In Solo mode you get no companions at all, CHA is lowered to 2, but you get 2 extra stat points at character creation (and all the SP to yourself). Combat is quite brutal as positioning bonuses are much higher than AoD. Ironman, solo, murderous psicopath is the ultimate challenge for the game.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Does it mean the game will start by choosing a solo mode with a premade character (or at least no poosibility to select PC CHA) or a party based mode?What if some players want to solo the game with a better CHA score in order to bluff/convince potential ennemies like in the example given by Vince
Charisma is often checked in dialogues (enemies changing sides, getting better companions, convincing someone, etc)
Quick example: you and your new best friend go against 5 guys. It's a very tough fight. You can try to convince them that resistance is futile and you have a couple of point in Charisma, one guy will stand down, so now it's 2 against 4, much better odds. However, if your Charisma is actually good, that guy will switch sides and join you, so now it's 3 against 4, plus you get to keep the guy

That's not very clear for me, sorry.Can you explain more please Elhoim ?

Last edited:

Lomer2

Educated
Does it mean the game will start by choosing a solo mode with a premade character (or at least no poosibility to build our own CHA) or a party based mode?What if some players want to solo the game with a better CHA score in order to bluff/convince potential ennemies like in the exemple given by Vince
Charisma is often checked in dialogues (enemies changing sides, getting better companions, convincing someone, etc)
Quick example: you and your new best friend go against 5 guys. It's a very tough fight. You can try to convince them that resistance is futile and you have a couple of point in Charisma, one guy will stand down, so now it's 2 against 4, much better odds. However, if your Charisma is actually good, that guy will switch sides and join you, so now it's 3 against 4, plus you get to keep the guy

That's not very clear for me, sorry
And while we are on this subject, will the companions contribute to stat checks (e.g. Charisma, Perception)?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
To be perfectly honest, while it makes perfect sense to require some skill to have followers; this seems weird in a game whose main attraction is the party system. This implies that that everyone will invest heavily on charisma to have a party. You could just as well assume that you can have X number of followers because they all want to leave the prison and use charisma for something else or scrapt it altogether.

Lomer2

Educated
To be perfectly honest, while it makes perfect sense to require some skill to have followers; this seems weird in a game whose main attraction is the party system. This implies that that everyone will invest heavily on charisma to have a party. You could just as well assume that you can have X number of followers because they all want to leave the prison and use charisma for something else or scrapt it altogether.
While I agree with you in principle, in this case this approach will increase the replay value of the game (one walkthrough with the best party (demon, construct) but with weak main character; one walkthough with competent main character and some weaklings; one solo walkthrough with the ultimate badass PC). Besides that, we all know that VD is designing the game primarily for his tastes and he prefers solo play (the party was a compromise due to popular demand):D.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They have to trust you enough to want to escape the prison with you, so it makes sense. People are inclined to believe or trust good-looking/charming individuals, just look at the MO of many serial killers. Very few games make the effort to explain why the people who are following you are following you. Off the top of my head - Planescape Torment and KotOR2 (maybe MotB, but that's stretching it), that's it. It's very weird for people to throw themselves into potentially life-ending situations just because you are the PC.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I’m talking about gamey design decision to please the players. People will play this to kill creatures with a large party. They could just as well assume this as a design element to prevent frustration. Besides, I’m not sure this is so implausible. If you are in the depths of a mine prison and some hard men are inviting you to embark on their escape, I would say that most prisoners would gladly accept the invitation at the drop of a hat.

Lomer2

Educated
Besides, I’m not sure this is so implausible. If you are in the depths of a mine prison and some hard men are inviting you to embark on their escape, I would say that most prisoners would gladly accept the invitation at the drop of a hat.
Unless the supposed leader looks grossly incompetent. Even the most desperate escape attempt requires some hope.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You get 2 party members with CHA6, which isn't a huge investment.

Besides, I’m not sure this is so implausible. If you are in the depths of a mine prison and some hard men are inviting you to embark on their escape, I would say that most prisoners would gladly accept the invitation at the drop of a hat.
The prison has its own hierarchy, so it's not just the prisoners vs the guards but the weaker prisoners at the bottom of the mine against the local gangs and such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom