Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Rats gets trailer, coming November 4th

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Who doesn't want to be a Nice Guy, beat the game in ironman mode and get this achievement?

tinman_zpsbsgzo9ir.jpg

Saduj

Arcane
:philosoraptor:

A nice guy doesn't slaughter non threatening victims. That's what murderous psychopaths do. Difficulty setting titles should be flipped.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Definately getting this on launch. Basically the only game that will be released any time soon that I'm actually looking forward to. :salute:

Aenra

Oh man, i'd read a reply mentioning the 'solo mode' before, but thought i was being trolled because i keep saying i prefer non-party RPGs! Motherfucker, it's really in!!!?!?!?!? Woot! :D:D:D

Vault Dweller also, totally random, but am curious. Ideally speaking, money/experience being no issue:
Would AoD (or the space game) have been what it was plus a bit more reactivity, in-between areas, a seamless environment and so on? aka a nu-Fallout but with CYOA? Am asking 'cause that's how i imagine it. If not, what and why?

Vault Dweller

Developer
No. It's not that I have something against seamless environments (and I liked that in Prelude to Darkness), but that's one of the problems with the game. I wish the game had better art direction and every location went through the concept art stage first. This was the luxury we couldn't afford back then whereas now we have two concept artists working on the CSG (and Mazin will join them shortly) defining the locations before we start. The other issue is the amount of content. While the game has as many quests as Fallout 2, the content gets filtered down a lot (factions, choices, events, etc), which gets more and more noticeable as you play, especially in Ganezzar. We didn't rush the game, but the structure we created requires tons of content, much more than we could produce with such a small team. The game has over 100 quests (114, I think), but it can easily handle another 40-50 without the player feeling overwhelemed.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Can you talk a little about AI changes you made for DR (if any)? Of particular interest would be how enemies will handle target selection.

Pimi-ukko

Novice
As for the trailer, it doesn't look like indie trailer at all, superb job. Who made it?

What are you on about? Trailer was super generic. If I wasn't aware of the pedigree I'd ignore the game.

Pricing's very aggressive. Maybe I'll get a friend or two to buy this thing too. How long would you say a campaign is?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Can you talk a little about AI changes you made for DR (if any)? Of particular interest would be how enemies will handle target selection.
Vault Dweller; second'd

Also, how the AI will use aimed shots and consumables. Though, iirc, if an NPC in AoD had a consumable, they tended to use it. I didn't play a combat-heavy character tho, so my memory is fuzzy.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
what about Intelligence , does your main characters Intellect increase overall skill points gained by your party or each characters intellect increase their own skill points pool ?

Their own pool. The % has been increased compared to AoD.

will there ever be a reason to have a 5, 7, or 9 CHA?

9 and 10 give some really good NPCs.

Is it possible to finish it with just one character?! (dumping CHA)

Yes, as VD shown.

Aenra

So if i am to understand correctly, you fear that spreading the quests, or the actual environment, would somehow endanger the game? Be it visually, thematically, or as a whole?
It's why i said ideally speaking, as O.K., in your circumstances, sure; that makes sense. But time and money allowed, would not a spreading out (same quests and lore in "numbers", just spread out) benefit a game like AoD?

Mind you, spreading out with limits, it's why i used the example i did. Am not talking 'open' or 'open - ended' here.

(i know it's all theoretical and you're probably thinking i'm busting your balls. Still matters to me, lol. One day maybe you guys will do well enough to make a big one. Your conceptualisation of what could or could not be one is as such important. To me anyway. I liked what i've seen so far. It's just not enough for me to grasp where you'll be heading)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
If fights designed for full party, doing them with 1 will be impossible.

If fights are not designed for full party, they will be too easy when you have full party.

Atchodas

Augur
The thing is that with Full party you get less skill points for every character and as a LoneWolf you get them all for yourself , this will balance it out i guess , my only fear is that playing Iron Man with high dodge might be superior to trying to maintain 4 weak characters who cant dodge for shit , as we know from AoD it doesnt matter how many enemies you are facing as long as they cant hit you and you counterattack them like a boss

Fever

Educated
[...]there'll be party-based combat, which you'll be doing with up to ten companions.

Do they mean that there will be up to ten possible recruitable companions? That's great.
The other way to interpret this sentence is that we'll be controlling a small army à la Battle Brothers? :|

hivemind

Is the lore powerlevel to stats ratio of enemies consistent with what it was in AoD? Like for example if an AoD lowlife thug had X stats will a DR lowlife thug also have X stats?

Was the 2 attribute points bonus for choosing solo run added just as a cute bonus or is it necessary to make the game reliably soloable?

Vault Dweller

Developer
[...]there'll be party-based combat, which you'll be doing with up to ten companions.

Do they mean that there will be up to ten possible recruitable companions? That's great.
11, actually. The party size is determined by your Charisma and ranges from 2 (PC+1) to 4 (PC+3). Unless you choose the solo mode.

Is the lore powerlevel to stats ratio of enemies consistent with what it was in AoD? Like for example if an AoD lowlife thug had X stats will a DR lowlife thug also have X stats?
Yes.

Was the 2 attribute points bonus for choosing solo run added just as a cute bonus or is it necessary to make the game reliably soloable?
A bit of both. The bonus is there to compensate you for not having any companions, which makes sense. Playing solo is very hard, so these 2 stat points will provide a welcome bonus, but they won't make the game much easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom