Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Goral, Oct 30, 2016.

1. MediantSamuelgender: ⚧ Erudite Patron

MediantSamuel
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Perhaps too blunt of a question, but, do you regret Dungeon Rats, Vince?

I thoroughly enjoyed it but I can appreciate the criticisms; even if people seem to be taking it as some sort of true, sprawling sequel to AoD.

^ Top  
  2. Castozorgender: ⚧ Learned

Castozor
    Parrots:
    Ah so basically these people are bad at the game now that their precious dialogue checks have been removed, and they should rather be playing CYOA's instead of rpg's. Good to know. As for being disappointed it wasn't AoD2 I think the store page was pretty clear so they have no one to blame but themselves.

In all seriousness I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a market for combat-heavy/only games amongst the Iron Tower crowd because that means no more combat spin-offs for me. All the things that these people moan about are what makes me love the game. Little to no story, back to back combat (and the combat is good, not sure why that one guy calls it rough, most likely he sucks at it), punishing difficulty. I 'm thankful you gave us this one spin-off at least.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    That's what I wanted to answer on SausageInYourFace question.
    Btw, do someone know how much money big companiesspent on UI for their AAA-titles? Money and time because time is money.

It's worked in every other aspect, just not in financial. It encourage people to play AoD.

You see, the problem with these reviews is they seem to be written by people who don't like anything except RPG and I can bet they think that rpg is a dialogues".
    I like RPG and dialogues, but I also like Jagged Alliance or Gollop's X-com.
    I think they are new generations of players, that tend to isolate themself in one genre - which is a diagnosis in itself.

HUGE YES!

^ Top  
  4. PEACHgender: ⚧ Learned

PEACH
    Parrots:
    Hearing you view it as a failed experiment is a shame but obviously (and very unfortunately) makes sense if it wasn't financially lucrative at the end of the day.

I fell in love with it after I blind bought it at release knowing nothing of AoD and while I ended up going back to AoD (7 times~) and really enjoying it, there's something so perfect about how to-the-point Dungeon Rats is that still makes it my favourite of the two. I guess I can see why people who expected AoD2 didn't enjoy it but for me the no-nonsense brevity of starting it up and immediately being thrown into a gauntlet of excellent battles with enjoyable character building + resource management without any frills is the biggest appeal.

I also completely disagree with any assertions that there's no replay value. Even just playing at high charisma vs. solo made a huge difference (and I got a real kick out of the ending slide for the high cha playthrough) not to mention all the other build opportunities that change the moment to moment gameplay and long-term-planning drastically.

Really wish we'd get more in the same vein but like Castozor said,

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Not sure about the 'no story' part but since it was always advertised as pure dungeon crawler, these negative reviews that say the game is not like AoD would be very frustrating to me, since it was never intended to be a full RPG like that. I guess its people who get the game blindly since they liked AoD. Its of course fair to prefer one style of game over another but its not fair to say you are disappointed by a game because it doesn't meet your false expectations.

Same goes for the complaints about difficulty. To my knowledge, AoD and DR have always been advertised as hard games. To whine about that in a review and at the same time refuse to, for example, simply play on a lower difficulty, like VDs says some reviewers do, seems very petty.

Anyway, sorry to hear that the game didn't sell that well. Really had a lot of fun with it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Nope. Actually, I quite like it and I'm glad we made it (even if to gain experience with party-based combat and CHA-driven party size). We even made extensive plans for The New World tactical spin-off talking place during the mutiny (mission-based, more futuristic weapons, more droids, heavier focus on resources, etc)

Glad you liked it. For the record, we haven't made any decision yet as making it now is pointless and premature. When The New World is released, then we'll consider it and how the New World is received will be as much of a factor as DR sales over the years.

"I like a challenging game but it needs to be fun, this was all challenge and not fun. I played for 90 minutes and was replaying the same 2 fights the whole time. Even after remaking the character min-maxed on one type of combat, and I was still getting killed off very easily. Personally I should not have to play a game with a massive penalty to the enemies just to make the challenge seem balanced. I play games to challenge myself and unwind from the stress of real life not cause me more stress then real life. This and Age of Decadence will be a first for games that had me requesting a refund. First time in 20+ years as a gamer I have seen "enemies weakened 25%" being the equivilent to "normal" mode."

The outrage!

PS. Here is a rant that the Hard mode is actually hard:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/531930/discussions/0/215439774856027685/

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    i would like to inform you that i finished dark souls (the most difficult game ever) over 7 times so if i fail at your game its clearly your game's fault

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Castozorgender: ⚧ Learned

Castozor
    Parrots:
    Thanks for the responses Vince and nice to hear your verdict on spin-offs isn't final yet. As for the above it's pure :retarded:, even on Murderous Psychopath the first few fights with a focused build are easily doable with nothing but fast-attack spam, how can someone be inept enough to fail at that. I guess reading the intro text telling you to pick one defensive and one offensive skill is all challenge and no fun :lol:.

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    fascinating

hard = enemies are 25% tougher -> such gud difficulty balancung

normal = enemies are 25% weaker -> wow dis is totally unheard of

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. bootgender: ⚧ Savant

boot
    Parrots:
    This is really sad. 1 year of work to make a great game, which you're then forced to sell for peanuts (5$ for a game this well made is insane, I don't think that is what this product is worth, I don't understand how anyone can sell a game they made at this price.) to retards who leave whiny steam reviews.

I'd like to see another Dungeon Rats style game from ITS. I don't know anything about making money, but I'd pay much more than 5$ to see another.

edit: currently, Dungeon Rats is bundled with AoD, costing about $1.75 total.

Is there a thread I can read where people explain how this happened and how this came to be the standard? Does this really make you more money?

^ Top  
  11. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    Vault Dweller did you ever consider a mobile/tablet release? DR’s limited scope may have lended itself to porting. I would never have suggested this, except that I recently started playing Templar Battleforce, a squad tactics tb game on my phone. It has by far the deepest mechanics of any mobile game I’ve ever played, and gives me hope that a game like DR could generate ITS significant revenue if ported.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Never thought about it. I don't know the market, don't know what's involved, what kind of problems we'd run into, what kind of issues it would cause and whether or not we'd be able to solve these issues in a timely manner or at all. I do know that chasing money (i.e. port because the grass is greener on the other side) is rarely a good idea and I don't want to get sidetracked and waste resources (programming man-hours).

^ Top  
  13. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    That's all reasonable - your lack of knowledge re: the business and work required for porting makes it a non-issue since you can't run the numbers. I also don't know if Torque is inherently platform agnostic or not (my guess is no).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    ^ Top  
  14. Whispergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Parrots:
    I like Dungeon rats more than AoD.

And 5 or 10 $ is too low price for such game. I usualy ignore games less than 10$, usually its 100% indie or trash (which are 90% games on steam if you check New Releases).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
  16. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think in a case like yours, one would typically license the port job to an external dev. Give him a % of profits in exchange for the work or something.

^ Top  
  17. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Such things are a major headache when you're lacking experience (like everything else, I suppose) and I've got all the headaches I can handle as it is. Besides, I'm not convinced that it will do well so we'll stick with what we know.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Still, you can contct with someone who have experience in mobile games industry, and get some info.
    If it's not a Sisyphean task then it can bring money, which is good.

Don't get me wrong that I ADVISE you, you should remember that English isn't my native language. )

^ Top  
  19. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Contacting someone is easy, managing and dealing with problems down the road (while it's tempting to think otherwise, there are always problems down the road) could be very time-consuming and painful. Obviously, anyone we contact will assure us that they have the experience, skills, time, and desire to do it. It's what comes next that's completely unpredictable. Nothing you can't manage given time, of course, but I don't want to become a project manager / administrator.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    New review, negative:

Co bolo na The Age of Decadence dobre, tu chybalo. Viac menej cistokrvna combat tahovka. 99% percent sa len treba posuvat dalej a zabijat vsetko, na co hrdina narazi.

What was good at The Age of Decadence was wrong. More less pure blood fight. 99% of the percentage needs to be shuffled and killed everything the hero finds.​

I assume nobody reads the description on the store page anymore.

• Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
  22. Trashosgender: ⚧ Erudite

Trashos
    Parrots:
    Since there is a "Notable changes from AoD" section on the description, I am thinking that they may have expected some emphasis there on the things DR does not offer. Nobody would expect that from a major studio, but maybe they expect so from a smaller one?

^ Top  
  23. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Meanwhile AoD gets a thumb-down because you can't play as a fighter:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    You can see all kinds of imbeciles in reviews...
    50 grades of mental retardation...

^ Top  
  25. Old Onegender: ⚧ Magister

Old One
    Parrots:
    There's something about AoD that brings out the frustration in a certain kind of dopey reviewer. The game doesn't allow them to succeed while playing mindlessly, and they get so aggravated they feel compelled to complain about how not-easy it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)