Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Goral, Oct 30, 2016.

1. PlanHexgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Note that fire goes through their armor, so may be more effective than bombs.
    I usually stand way back, let them come to me in the first turn, then hit them both with Strong fire bottles + maybe one or two bombs if the fire pushes them too far away, then pray no one dies from the ranged one while waiting for the fire to go out and closing in afterwards. Having the demon or construct to tank can help too if you can get them and don't plan on using them much.

^ Top  
  2. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Compared to AOD you get a metric shitton of alchemical reagants and bombs and the like, so compared to AOD use them more liberally.

That said, if you need to exclusively use bombs to fight constructs you'll eventually run out, so maybe use them to get by when your level/build at the moment can't handle it

^ Top  
  3. Invictusgender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I finally won by using the super bomb a handful of acid and fire vials and a couple of bombs... but that was simply a war of attrition and not very satisfying. What pisses me off is that I was handling the constructs pretty well before that fight and now both this fight and the fight with the emperor feel more like potion and bomb management than skill,
    Planing and positioning like 90% of the game
    Loved the game so far and definetly on par with Age of Decadence as a damn excelent game but those final fights leave a sour taste in my mouth because they are more or less dicatated by resource management rather than player skill
    Replayed it and did it with 3 fire vials, 2 acid vials for the nailgun construct and 2 normal bombs... thanks for the tip on the shields for Marcus and Roxana, it helped a lot and afterwards My main char tanked most of the shots with the heaviest armor I could manage and it worked very well

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    ^ Top  
  4. huskarlsgender: ⚧ Novice

huskarls
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Emmanuel2gender: ⚧ Learned

Emmanuel2
    Parrots:
    One of us! (Solo hard ironman still worth without achievement)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Salute Salute x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. VentilatorOfDoomgender: ⚧ RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    seeing how you can be eradicated in a single combat round even with maxed out defense if you're unlucky : I believe that everybody who finishes the game on murderous psychopath solo iron man is a cheater who backs up his saves.
    If you honestly want to tell me it's possible to finish this game on ironman without backing up your saves: make a continuous video without breaks like Eyestabber did for AoD.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    One of the newest Steam reviews: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000938806/recommended/531930/

And here's a totally different opinion of a person who actually likes challenging games:

This Pole basically says that it's difficult and you can be easily smeared on the walls by your opponents but the same fight can be won if you prepare for it and learn from your mistakes and use different arrows/formation/strategy. He also says that usuallly such difficult games are frustrating but this one was different because your decisions actually mattered and it's not difficult for coolness effect only but actually treats the player with respect.

His first post about DR is here: https://www.wykop.pl/wpis/23178863/dungeon-rats-ta-gra-to-straszny-brzydal-szczegolni/

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    It's simple - first one is a homosexual one, but not just homosexual - the passive one.
    Or he was educated in liberal education system, that's the same.

^ Top  
  9. Black Angelgender: ⚧ Savant

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Old Onegender: ⚧ Magister

Old One
    Parrots:
    The first guy expects to cruise through the game winning every fight on the first try, or maybe on rare occasions the second try.

^ Top  
  11. Castozorgender: ⚧ Learned

Castozor
    Parrots:
    I know I'm rather late to the party but I just picked up the game a few days ago, right before the discount too :negative:.
    Show Spoiler
    Not that I regret forking over the cash

And so far I like it a lot going with Spear/dodge 6 CHA. But I have a question about CS, is it worth to invest in for my main char if I take alchemy/crafting on my other 2 dudes or not?

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Critical Strike is about "all or nothing".
    Basically, if you want viable crits in late-game, you need 10 Perception which gives critical chance, or it won't work in final battle.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morality Gamesgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Iron Tower developers are some of the mildest personalities I've ever seen in indie development.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sergiogender: ⚧ Educated

Sergio
    Parrots:
    Yeah, they are the sort of people you don't regret giving money to.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ShadowSpectregender: ⚧ Learned

ShadowSpectre
    Parrots:
    AoD was a pleasant surprise and I loved it. Picked up Dungeon Rats today. Is there any consensus to what is a good build on the latest patch for DR? I was thinking Sword/Dodge/Alchemy with party members, but I am curious to see opinions on this.

^ Top  
  16. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Almost any build is viable if you're not going Ironman. Sword/Dodge/Alchemy is good, you can definitely go with it. If you're afraid you can always play on a lower difficulty setting for the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. VentilatorOfDoomgender: ⚧ RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    I have an opinion.
    There are not enough skill points to raise 3 things early enough (or at all) to sufficient levels. You'll never make a combat char as efficient as Roxana and still increase Alchemy. Best build is to go 9 or 10 CHA, 10 INT, rest in PER, go to Alchemy 3 then crafting 6 then alchemy 10 then crafting 10, then put points where you want (at char creation put the combat points into block) , and use Marcus as a tank (go to dodge 10 before you start putting points into hammers) and Ismail (ignore dodge) with crossbows until you get Roxana when you can drop Ismail. Get Roxanas THC as high as possible by putting points in xbow and throwing (good synergy) add some more critical strike and use xbows and throwing knifes, then add Yngvar to the party when you meet him. Strategy is to just use the heaviest armor and tower shield on your main, find a place where no one attacks you, let Marcus tank and wait until Roxana has mass raped all the enemies. Works very well. You will max Alchemy early so you have the stronkest poisons, neurostims , berserk potions etc. Roxana can rape the enforcer and all his men in like 2 combat rounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    2 man party gave me hardest fights. Mascus as tank, main without dodge with crossbow.

^ Top  
  19. ShadowSpectregender: ⚧ Learned

ShadowSpectre
    Parrots:
    Looks like Roxana and Marcus are pretty key. I will try out some of those recommendations and see how it goes.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)