Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Zanzoken

Arcane
Finally got finished with my move and able to play the game again!

My char is 8/6/10/6/4/6 Axe Block. I decided to play the first part with just me and Marcus so we could level faster until meeting Roxana. Everything went pretty smoothly up until the Reinard fight, but after struggling with it for awhile I had to draft Quintus to throw liquid fire while we dealt with the Alchemist.

Loving the game so far -- you guys really know how to design encounters which is 90% of good combat.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Critical Strike is brutal. Who gives a fuck about crafting when you can muder your enemies with merciless aimed attacks on the fucking head. People complaining about constructs don't know how to use critical strike.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
In one of the runs I had critical strike 8 before Barca and 10 around Reinard(4 char and no craft/alchemy). Worked well, didn't had to reload before late game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Critical Strike is brutal. Who gives a fuck about crafting when you can muder your enemies with merciless aimed attacks on the fucking head. People complaining about constructs don't know how to use critical strike.

plz point me to that magical mystical alchemical concoction that raises ur cs

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I stoped investing in crafting (I have 4) when I reached the steel forge. I had 9 points in alchemy by then, a two hand spear (Rhodar, I think?) and 4 points in CS. From then on I just invested on CS. You have a pretty good chance in your aimed attacks with any enemy. Just try and you will see.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I stoped investing in crafting (I have 4) when I reached the steel forge. I had 9 points in alchemy by then, a two hand spear (Rhodar, I think?) and 4 points in CS. From then on I just invested on CS. You have a pretty good chance in your aimed attacks with any enemy. Just try and you will see.
just to be clear, you can't crit on a spear's interrupt attack. i'm sure you know this, but i want to make it clear to everyone else.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, and you can't hit a construct with an aimed attack with 5 or 6 in CS. My initial investement in crafting ruined my chances with CS.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, and you can't hit a construct with an aimed attack with 5 or 6 in CS. My initial investement in crafting ruined my chances with CS.
regarding the constructs though- for solo play with a spear, I just used berserk pots + quick attacks, or torso shots to get by the DR. It didn't strike me as a huge jump in difficulty, and that character only had R1 CS. For a CHA8 group game, Marcus's hammer really does well with the DR reduction passive. I used quick or power 2h hammer shots on the regular constructs, and berserk + quick attack with his little 3 AP marculus for the sky metal constructs. Marcus only had R1 cs too.

I'm sure CS is a tactic to get past them, but they definitely didn't require it.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, I'm aware, but I wanna know if CS is overall preferable to crafting. I'm that retarded. I never get pasted the constructs at the temple because I always reload to try something else, even with abudance of bombs and alchemy ingredients. I think I will finish this one and try on the next build.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I'm aware, but I wanna know if CS is overall preferable to crafting. I'm that retarded. I never get pasted the constructs at the temple because I always reload to try something else, even with abudance of bombs and alchemy ingredients. I think I will finish this one and try on the next build.
R10 CS vs R10 crafting? For a party, I feel like crafting clearly wins since everyone benefits from it.

For solo play, I think it's heavily dependent on the weapon type. Crafting would be less useful for a sword user since you get the Enforcer's gladius, for example. Or for a 10 Dex character, since you get that nice 8 DR / 12 AP armor.

Never played a CS build though, let us know what you find.

kryminator

Augur
Have any of You, guys encountered a situation where all yours characters were rewarded with SP after fight twice?
I think that there is a bug in DR causing double exp for a fight, although I don't know exactly how to reproduce it but for sure double SP gain is possible. At least in GOG-5 version of DR I experienced it several times.
I suspect that if last opponent is poisoned and is bleeding and then he dies due to these conditions then all player characters would gain additional SP. Maybe he need also be able to die from bleeding only and from poison only. I don't know exactly, but from what I remember every time I gained double SP the dying man was at least poisoned.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, it was reported and possibly fixed and\or fix wasn't implmeted yet.
In case it was fixed but still happened like it was with plants thta shoot itself, keep your eyes open.

Emmanuel2

Savant
For solo daggers, it's better to invest around up to 4 on CS. Then either go for 10 CRA/7 ALC, or 7 CRA/10 ALC.

Everyone else is better out investing in other things.

I had a Triple Crown clear with daggers, you can check it out in the previous pages.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I would say 4 in CS till fights after Emperor. Legionair are hard to CS, i would get to CS 6.

Everyone else non-dagger better avoid CS.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I still don't understand the reason for your dogmatic bickering with CS, Whisper. CS has two roles: allowing the player to hit an aimed attack and increasing the chances of bleeding in critical strikes. Any build can benefit from these roles, including builds with low PER. Crafting, on the other hand, is restricted to the type of forge available, which sucks and prevents you for justifying heavy investment.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Any build can benefit from these roles, including builds with low PER.
If you want to rely on critical strikes then any passive is useless, thus all you need is high enough thc. That is why char with high per, low weapon skill and high cs is better. Crafting provides small bonuses to thc/crit/passive/damage if you can't utilize all of the bonuses then better to invest in something else.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Well I don't know the systems inside and out like some of you guys, but here is the way I see it.

Over the course of the game you get roughly enough SP to become proficient in three (3) skills. I found this to be true for pure combat builds in AoD and it seems to be holding up for DR as well (can't say for sure as I haven't finished it yet).

If you want to survive then one of those skills has to be a weapon, and the second has to be defensive. The third can be looked at as "support" where you can play around a bit, but generally you will want to pick between Alchemy, Crafting, or Crit Strike. And of those choices, CS seems to be the poorest option. I'm not saying it's worthless or won't help your build, but like I posted earlier in the thread, CS feels like the weak link in Iron Tower's char system and is underpowered compared to its peers.

However I am perfectly willing to be proven wrong on this, and in fairness I should probably test out a true Dagger/Dodge/CS build in DR before passing judgment.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dagger+CS is strong build, but dagger builds don't need that much cs. The main problem with cs+nondagger is that Max cs-score is only about 100, in AoD I had 195 for example, which isn't enough. And if you don't have high enough critscore and can't crit then all investments in cs was useless.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I still don't understand the reason for your dogmatic bickering with CS, Whisper. CS has two roles: allowing the player to hit an aimed attack and increasing the chances of bleeding in critical strikes. Any build can benefit from these roles, including builds with low PER. Crafting, on the other hand, is restricted to the type of forge available, which sucks and prevents you for justifying heavy investment.

Whisper knows what he's talking about but I'd assume that it applies to mostly solo runs. But I'd like to say something in regards to whether or not CS is helpful.

First of, CS Defense. In earlier parts of the game, boosting CS would really help in guaranteeing a critical hit from whatever weapon. In the later parts of the game, say molerats to emperor, CS defense are so high that it's better off not investing at all since 150 CS DEF tanks or 75 CS DEF damage dealers could effectively mitigate a max CS non-dagger build resulting in a MASSIVE loss in SP.

Second, passives. The weapons who have passives that players can rely on are better off investing in synergies and the weapon itself after maxing out a defense ability, Alc/Cra and a little bit on the other Alc/Cra. You don't want to rely on savescumming a fight especially in a game where chance could really screw you over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom